PDA

View Full Version : Reid 6X18 surface grinder...any info?

torker
01-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Hey all! I need some info on a Ried 6X18 surface grinder. Sold up here under the Excello name.
This is a hydraulic unit.
any good/bad advice?
Thanks!
Russ

torker
01-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Nobody?
I may have to pull the trigger on this deal today. The seller knows jack about these...bout the same as me...lol!
Only real problem...it's 2500 miles away...or so!
I missed out on a similar deal last year and am still kickin my butt.
That one was a strictly manual machine...what I'd prefer but the hydro unit may be the way to go...if all the hydraulics are intact etc.
Thanks!
Russ

JCHannum
01-20-2007, 10:12 AM
The Reid grinders are good machines. The hydraulics are a plus. I can't give any specific information, but I do believe they are still being manufactured and parts & support should be available.

torker
01-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks JC!
I'm wondering...if there is a problem with the hydraulics....is it a big deal or are they just "regular" hydraulic units?
There is a grinder(9X20 Taft Pierce) a LOT closer(250 miles) to here than this other one but the entire hydraulic unit is missing.

dalee100
01-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi,

I can't say anything about the brand. If it's a used machine, be really sure about just how well the hydraulics are working and if ALL the schematics are there for it.

I've been roped into repairing a Nicco 12x24, a Cinnci/Milicron center grinder, a Norton center grinder, and 2 Blanchards. The two things they all had in common - all nasty jobs, and very expensive. The electrics aren't bad, but the cost of bearings and hydraulic pumps and valves can be a killer. So be careful and Good Luck!!!

dalee

Addendum:
Things to check for with hydraulics. How slow can you creep-feed it. The slower the better. The faster it has to run before it stalls, the more leakage the spool valves have, and/or the weaker the pump is. What kind of pump. A simple roller or piston pump is cheaper and easier to replace than a dual vane - variable volume pump. And watch out for unusual looking shaped components or odd configurations. Does the grinder have an easy way to bleed the system? They really like to run 24/7. So when you start it up after several days or weeks of sitting, it will have air in it that you need to bleed out. And it really sucks having to work for several hours to get all the air out before you can use it.

torker
01-20-2007, 10:42 AM
dalee...Thanks!
I'm being leary. The place where I work...they bought a big used surface grinder. They put over 200 manhours into repairing it and it still doesn't work right. It's now sitting out in the snow...uncovered...soon to be scrap I'd guess.
I don't want to end up with the same thing.

cmiller231
01-20-2007, 02:04 PM
The one i ran was a late 1970's. it was a manual machine . It had a 6" riser under the column on it, not sure but i think it was a factory option.What i did like about it was the elevation hand wheel was where it shoud be ,IMHO ,at waist level. with a .0001 vernier. The table was traversed by a cogged belt.It also came with a dresser mounted on the spindle which is real handy . Chris