PDA

View Full Version : Loctite & Oilite Bronze bushings

JeffKranz
01-26-2007, 04:33 PM
On the engine I'm building they call for using Loctite to glue the bronze bushing into the connecting rods. Can I use Oilite Bronze and clean the surface with lacquer thinner and then the primer and glue it in? I have a supply of Oilite and didn't want to buy bronze just for these few pieces that are glued in place.

Jeff

JCHannum
01-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Maybe and maybe not. The oil might act as a release agent. You might be able to cook the oil out by gentle heating with a torch.

The only purpose for the Loctite is to prevent the bearings from spinning. Can they be pinned?

What size do you need? I might have something here you can use.

JeffKranz
01-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Jim,

they are are pretty small under .5 in diameter and no longer than .5" long. I will turn them up on the lathe but didn't have any regular bronze. Hate to order just some of this stock since shipping will probably be more than the cost of it. Some of them are only .250 diameter.

Jeff

Mcgyver
01-26-2007, 05:00 PM
other problem is the oilite comes slightly over sized so that they can be pressed into a reamed hole and then end up the right size. somewhere i recall seeing a table of how much interference = what size finished ID.

Spin Doctor
01-26-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure you could ever really get the Oilite bushing clean enough for the Locktite to really do its job. As long as you have enough wall thickness surrounding the hole an interference fit is the best way to go IMO

Rustybolt
01-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Clean it with acetone and use red locktight.

Evan
01-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Since Oilite is a sintered porous material I wouldn't expect it to withstand hammering well. I don't think it would be an appropriate material for a connecting rod bushing unless the engine is rarely operated.

I just looked up the properties. 660 bearing bronze has a compressive strength of 45,000 psi. Oilite bronze is 11,000 psi.

chipmaker4130
01-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Don't use oilite, it won't stick. If you were somehow to remove the oil, you'd be left with a low density fast wearing bearing.

JeffKranz
01-26-2007, 10:59 PM
OK - Guess I will get some 660 Bronze. I do have some AMPCO 18 Bronze material but it is flat stock. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks,

Jeff