PDA

View Full Version : digital height gauge

Alistair Hosie
02-04-2007, 11:19 AM
How many of you have changed fron standard height gauges to digital,and what were the benefits.I have an old pal who swears by the digital and keeps pushing me to get one anyway there is a special offer for one and I just ordered it.Any replies would help.Alistair

Swarf&Sparks
02-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Biggest benefit (IMHO) is, like any other digital, the 0 offset.
Set it where you want and just press that "0" button.
Or, set it on your surface plate, press "0" and you can read from any angle, any height. With my ageing eyes, that's a bonus.

Tin Falcon
02-04-2007, 11:58 AM
In addtion to what was mentioned.You can reference from the top of a part and measure down also i expect you can change from metric to inch and use as a metric to inch converter . By resetting to zero use it in incremental mode rather than absolute.
Tin

Timleech
02-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I bought one of the chinese digital jobs years ago, when they were first coming on to the market. After a while it lost most of its functions, couldn't reset zero etc., a new battery made no difference..
It's been languishing in its wooden case for at least 7 years.
I dug it out the other day, when sorting out things to get rid of to make some space. Tried a battery in it, it works perfectly ;)
Maybe I'll start using it again, the offset capability is the greatest advantage.

Tim

madman
02-04-2007, 12:23 PM
I use a Maier? swiss made and also a 18 inch mitutoya digital height gauge. Also have a cadillac gauge (heightmaster) sittin in my office. I think its sat there for 12 years or more never used it after the digital came to be. Nice tools

BobWarfield
02-04-2007, 01:03 PM
That heightmaster is a beautiful gage. Leave in the office, keep it buffed up. Would love to have one, but just to look at, not to use!

BW

John Stevenson
02-04-2007, 01:29 PM
How many of you have changed fron standard height gauges to digital,and what were the benefits.I have an old pal who swears by the digital and keeps pushing me to get one anyway there is a special offer for one and I just ordered it.Any replies would help.Alistair

Why ??
You have ordered one, what happens if we say they are crap, no good ,only suitable for Scotsmen with white sticks and a built up left shoe ?

Anyway best of luck with your new purchase but they are crap and no good ,only suitable for Scotsmen with white sticks and a built up left shoe.

.BTW did I mention they eat expensive batteries that are not sold in Scotland ?

Alistair Hosie
02-04-2007, 02:19 PM
what do you mean sold in Scotland don't you know we don't buy when we can steal:DAlistair