X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DICKEYBIRD
    • Apr 2004

Yet another finger engine

I figured I'd put my version of Mr. Parkinson's cool little finger engine project project in a separate thread since I changed the construction up a bit.

The flywheel is made up from individual pieces since I didn't want to buy anything and wanted to do this project from stuff I had on hand. I used a cheapo 5C spindexer to drill the hub and the outer rim. The spokes are 1/4" drill rod. I put it together, then rolled a thin strip of brass and glued it on with super glue to hide the ends of the spokes. Crude but shouldn't fly apart at finger speeds.

The main body is made from round stock, again what I had on hand. I used some old inline skate bearings on the flywheel shaft and some nylon bushings on the other moving parts to reduce the friction. "Runs" good!

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton
  • japcas
    • Nov 2004

Dickeybird, your engine looks real good. Nice work.
    Jonathan P.

Comment

• darryl
      • Jan 2003

I like how you did the flywheel. Thinking about this for a moment, I might have started by finding a short section of pipe for the outer sleeve where you have the brass strip. Then I would have turned the id on it, then found a suitable section for the inner part of the flywheel. Hub and spokes, probably do the same as you did. Just another method, not taking away from how you did it.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
      X