X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dawai
    • Dec 2005

Home cameras, Free Motion software, home security

DVR board with 4 channels for video input into a computer This one is $9.99 plus $10 shipping.
    NOTE: if you do not get the RCA plug adapters with it, they cost About $5 a piece at Radio Shack.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91851 Harbor Freight BULLET camera, has about 100' of cable, a power supply and RCA plugs on the end to hook to a vcr, or DVD recorder or monitor, or the DVR computer board above. NOT the greatest, but For $39.99 right now on sale it is okay. Mine has been on for over a year now.

http://www.mepis.org/ A pretty easy to use Mepis Linux operating system, free for download. Has drivers for the above DVR card included in the package, but.. you must download XAWTV or Camstream to view the camera input. THE 4 channels are mistaken, you can view one channel at a time with the board, or the software switches and you get slower update speeds.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/motion/ Motion software download, you must install it in Linux, and then “START” it from the terminal mode.. A non-graphical interface.. basically you start a terminal, then type in “motion [-nsh]” and AWAY she goes.. grabs any camera motion and writes it to the “location” selected in configuration, and Destination directory selected in configuration. If you leave the terminal open, it shows each time it writes a jpg or movie avi stream to disc.. (also configurable)

CONNECTIONS: HOW easy? you plug the camera into the DVR board, or your VCR, OR your DVD recorder and plug in the module.. with a DVD you must select auxillary input to read the RCA connections. Really a no brainer once you determine what you want it to do.. The software is kinda tricky at first till you become more familiar with Linux and it's ways.

WITH the motion software, you have a video stream you can configure to view from anywhere. You just set it up, find your assigned IP address on your internet connection and address back to that.. Problems and issues are having a firewall, a router, a link hub, or a roving Dynamic addressed ip connection. (like mine) then you need a redirection service to “host” the redirection to your webspace. it is a lil file they “broadcast ip” to the host, and it changes the POSTing address on the HOST webspace to link to your home computer.. Is that simple enough? there are several redirection FREE services available.. this also can allow you to use your computer from away from home.. and if you do not close up the “OPEN” invitation, allow others to Get into your system at home.. this is a small problem. So.. in that case, you need a PORT addressed for the computer and a Sign in password assigned.

<note::> we have a young attractive Friend who's husband is planning on working in Iraq.. She is afraid to go home alone. WITH this system, she can review her online "motion" cameras and pictures before she travels home. Personally I'd like to teach her how to shoot a gun, but like lots of young people a gun worries her more than a attacker.

I have a ring of cameras around my home. Thefts are up, I joined the neighborhood watch last night. Even if I am murdered or shot, the cameras can be a witness. You can review past motion images, I noticed a meter reader walking around my back yard looking at my old cars.. and god knows what else. I have a six foot chainlink fence and no tresspassing signs up. Supposedly HE "has a reason" to be on the property, but not in the back yard. THE next reader was a young girl who I talked to for about ten minutes. (before you think I am a stud? I am a pretty well known tattoo artist and young girls think they can talk me out of stuff) BUT SO, was the first meter reader a "real one" or someone with a truck and decal? Neighborhood stories are that I have a blue building full of Harleys, I walk around with thousands of dollars in my pockets and am hung like a gerbil.. (you should see the spams I get)

Paranoia is not paranoia if you have pictures. HUH?

IF anyone has anything to add to the connection, or hook up or configuration I'll make a pdf like I did the shaper tutorials.
    Last edited by Dawai; 02-13-2007, 10:24 AM.
    Excuse me, I farted.
  • Alistair Hosie
    • Aug 2002

How's your health these days David I always wonder how you are doing kindest regards Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• Dawai
      • Dec 2005

Alistair.. you can email me you old Scott.

My health is still the same. I have been reading up on male menopause.. some say it does not exist, others talk of the sweaty hands, cold chills head aches and all the other symptoms I have. Doctors are puzzled, My sugar still swings crazy like up and down. My wife was joking I was going through it, sure enough there it is on the internet.

THIER solution is to give me more pills and charge more money. I want to know what is wrong.

I had a dose of adrenalin last night, it surged and coursed through me like fire, keeping me active till about 1am, I got up 6am like normal. Perhaps I am just a adrenalin junkie still?

I keep telling my wife I am getting a HAYbusa.. I wonder how fast they will go with a 300lb'er???
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

• madman
        • Sep 2004

Hyabusa Top Speed

About 270 kms if you really tuck in tight and wear a spandex body suit for streamlining.

Comment

• speedsport
          • Oct 2005

a 300lb bearded guy in a spandex suit going 180mph on a HighAbuser, now thats a scary thought!
          "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Working...
          X