PDA

View Full Version : Practical Machinist down again

dirty old man
02-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Gotta go send Don Thomas another email. PM site seems to be down again!
Anybody else having aproblem with it?
Dave

lazlo
02-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah, it's down.

The partnership with American Machinist Magazine hasn't worked out so well for PM...

dirty old man
02-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Lazlo, I think the problem is that the partnership is working TOO WELL. PM now has over 17K members. The general forum passed the 300K posts last week!
Don is either going to have to find either a bigger, better server, or create an Archives site for the older stuff.
Dave

Milacron of PM
02-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah, it's down.

The partnership with American Machinist Magazine hasn't worked out so well for PM...

DOM has it mostly right, but really even without the AM partnership the General Forum would probably be at 250,000 posts by now and it would be crashing anyway...maybe not quite as often. At 300,000 + posts the forum is something like 25 times larger than the software was ever meant to support. V Bulletin here we come :( (btw, I hate the V Bulletin standard emoticons...esp the one for rolleyes :rolleyes: ! :) )

Anyhoo, PM back up now.

lazlo
02-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Don,

PM has been crashing an awful lot in the last 6 months -- are you saying that it's entirely due to the BBS software?
300,000 posts is pretty small compared to some of the BBS's out there.

By the way, I'm not complaining -- I usually read PM during idle moments at work, so if it's down, I just come here ;)

Robert

Milacron of PM
02-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Don,

PM has been crashing an awful lot in the last 6 months -- are you saying that it's entirely due to the BBS software? So, you think I'm lying ?? YES....has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ads.

300,000 posts is pretty small compared to some of the BBS's out there.

Robert

True, but check out what software those larger ones are using and I can guarantee you none of them are using UBB Classic.

lazlo
02-21-2007, 12:48 PM
So, you think I'm lying ?? YES....has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ads.

No, no -- I didn't mean the ads Don, and of course I'm not saying you're lying! :)

I thought the server problems were due to server load, not the Ads.

CCWKen
02-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Why is it that this site is the problem registry for PM? You have Don's email--Use it! :rolleyes:

dirty old man
02-21-2007, 02:39 PM
CCWKen, Well excuse me for invading your privatem domain!
What I have to say to you about your comment, I won't say here because I respect the members here too much to post it!
Dave

Milacron of PM
02-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Why is it that this site is the problem registry for PM? You have Don's email--Use it! :rolleyes:

Although this site doesn't crash nearly as often as PM, PM has been the "problem registry" for this forum often enough in the past. And I do see posts here sometimes before I check email.

I ususally wipe my feet before I enter, so don't be too concerned about us tracking in anything too undesirable ;)

Peter N
02-21-2007, 06:04 PM
I ususally wipe my feet before I enter, so don't be too concerned about us tracking in anything too undesirable ;)

Awwww - no Gary E here then? :D :D :D

Peter

Carld
02-21-2007, 10:18 PM
I use both sites and many of the members here are members there and vice versa. I enjoy both sites so don't start the knife fight yet, lets just get along.

gmatov
02-21-2007, 11:12 PM
So long since anybody has made another comment?

Down for the last couple hours again, tonight, 11:07 PM, just checked again.

Last thread I read last night was still on the screen, refreshed, "Done", nothing, Home, nothing.

Don't know anything about BB software, is PHPBB any better? Know it used to be free.

Cheers,

George

Milacron of PM
02-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Down yet again...and this after the web host IT guy assured me they would be monitoring the server...it is getting ridiculous...

gmatov
02-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Don,

I'm on your site daily. Get antsy when it goes down. My kid picks on me for being on the net so much. Her power supply went out the other day, told me SHE was getting antsy. Fixed it and she's happy, now.

I don't know about BB SW. IS PHP better, or is it rudimentary, not near what your site looks like?

Have been to some sites that have no eye appeal.

Mebbe you need a mirror site under your own control to failover to. Don't ask me to clear that up, as I don't do SW too well. Have no idea what that would cost, either, redundancy.

Hope they get it up soon, anyhow.

See you there.
Cheers,

George

Milacron of PM
02-21-2007, 11:49 PM
As soon as PM is back up going to have to split up the General Forum again, and archive 300,000 posts, until software changeover. Annoying.. but no choice.

JRouche
02-22-2007, 12:19 AM
I donít see a problem with a active general and an archive general. Make the archive general dead, meaning no posting to it. If someone absolutely feels the need to dig up an old topic they can post a new thread in the active general referencing the old topic in the archive.

I like the look of PM now. Stuff the first 250k articles into cold storage and be done. JRouche

Too_Many_Tools
02-22-2007, 12:53 AM
As soon as PM is back up going to have to split up the General Forum again, and archive 300,000 posts, until software changeover. Annoying.. but no choice.

Don,

Any idea what the problem(s) are?

Is the BBS software crashing or is the server the problem?

My guess is that it is the server.

If they agreed to monitor the server, you should ask for the proof that they actually did.. starting with "Did you notify me moments after the outage occurred?"

I will bet they did not.

TMT