• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 8ntsane
    • Aug 2004

Dorian Tool Dovetail end mill

Hi guys

I want to make some tool holders for my import QC tool post. I have never tried to cut dovetails before so these question my be real stupid ones.
    I have been looking through the KBC catalog and see they have Dorian indexable Dovetail end mills,and I think that would be a beeter choice for me as the inserts are replaceable.

I assume that when cutting dove tails one would cut only one side at a time, so the dia of the biz end has to be proper size. I have seen a few on the net that a few guys have made them selfs that where 1 1/4 dia. that leads me to beleive,that size must be the aproximate size.

The dorian tool has sizes in 1-in and 1-3/8 on the big end , but no 1 1/4 so I quess that norrows it down. Is there a standard size that is the proper tool for cutting dovetails for these china made tool holders?

I have seen other s on e-bay but they where listed as 7/8 and 1 1/8 who knows what brand they are.

Could any one shed some light on this for me?

What size did you guys buy to do this job?

Cheers Paul
    Paul
  • TGTool
    • Aug 2005

Paul,

Yes, you cut one side at a time. IIRC my cutter is 1-3/8 which is just slightly bigger than the distance between flats where the sharp corners of the dovetail have been machined off.

Machine a rectangular slot at the center of where you want the dovetail, down to full depth. Start the dovetail cutting just a couple thousandths less than that depth, machining one side. Then machine the other side to finished size. To determine what finished size is, put a couple 1/4" dowels down in the dovetail of one of your existing holders and measure between them with calipers, or a micrometer over adjustable parallels between the dowels or rolls. Then make the new part to this same roll dimension. For my Phase II AXA size, the slot is 1.36" wide by .381 deep. The dimension between rolls is 1.001".

To establish the depth of the first side, do the math using the roll dimension and the overall part width so you can measure from one roll to the outside of the part with mic or calipers.

jm
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
    X