Anyone with experience with a '87 Dodge Dakota?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckshot
    • Jan 2004

Anyone with experience with a '87 Dodge Dakota?

This belonged to my father in law who passed away a couple years ago and I was asked if I'd like to have it. It had set for about a year and a half. It has the 'Prospector' package (limited slip, hvy duty cooling, cruise, AC, etc. It's a 4WD with automatic trans and the carburetted 3.9L V6, straight cab.

I got it up and running without too much effort and it runs like a champ. The trans shifts up and down correctly. It's registration was up in Feb and a smog check was due. I have a temp operating permit right now. I've replaced the fuel filter, EGR valve, new dist cap & rotor, dist wires, and new plugs. However in question as to passing the smog check is the fact that it does have an O2 sensor, another electronic sensor thingie in the carb and a catalyctic converter. As I said it runs great and doesn't smoke (has 142K on the clock) and the body is in great shape. If I have to replace those 3 things I have no problem doing so. It's actually quite a nice truck.

The only real issue with the truck is that the tilt wheel is fairly wobbly. I bought a Haynes manual for it but it doesn't address the tilt assembly at all.

Anyone having experience with anything to do with a Dodge pickup like this, it's components, operating issues, pointers or suggestions I'd sure be glad to hear about them.

Rick
    Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.
Working...
X