PDA

View Full Version : Want List

lane
03-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Lets start a shop want list. Maximun . of 3 idems for your shop. I want a Y and Z axis servo power feed for my mill. Every thing else I already have. Nexk please. Join in what do you want . Lets see where this goes.

Doc Nickel
03-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Well, first off, I think you mean a "Want" list. A "wont" list suggests a list of things you "won't" do in the shop- perhaps including build machine guns, have close-quarters intergender relations on the mill table, run that bar of beryllium through the belt sander, that sort of thing. :D

Now, since I just picked up a heap of specialty grinders, a 10" shaper, an Atlas mini-mill, and a handful of other trinkets, I'm damn near "wanted" out for the moment. (Excepting of course accessories for said new machines- like grinding wheels, replacement parts and the like.)

That said, the next two major machines I hope to get before too long, are a surface grinder, a larger lathe, and a horizontal bandsaw.

I have no specific marques in mind, I'm not looking for any one particular machine, but those are the machines I'd like to add to the collection. The lathe in particular, as I could use a bit more power than my 3/4HP 10" Logan. Something with a Cam-lok chuck, 1.5" or better through hole, 2HP or better, and hopefully a higher top speed.

Doc.

Ries
03-15-2007, 10:01 PM
A K&T Rotary Head Milling Machine- the kind with a rotary table built into the head, so the end mill moves in circles.

A Mossner Rekord Vertical Bandsaw.

A 20x40 VMC. Not picky about brand.

Uncle O
03-15-2007, 10:04 PM
I want a Z axis (Knee) servo, have one at work and it beats the crap out of cranking that handle !! Also want a power drawbar....and a Rotab, and a bigger lathe, I could keep going....... I need to keep going.....
Since I am just starting to outfit the garage there is a LOT of stuff I want/need......Yea, yea...
a cnc mill would be good too
Kerry

JCHannum
03-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Time & six more characters.

JRouche
03-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Beside the obvious, more money and space.....

I am looking for a Clausing, variable speed lathe in a 14" swing size with about 40" between centers.

Space forgiving, a surface grinder.

Space again, an over head gantry crane rig..

JRouche

03-15-2007, 10:59 PM
I would like a Shaper,Horizontal Mill,I already have a Lagun Mill a Milwaukee K&T mill,550 Bulter Lathe Surface grinder...And a lot more tooling......:D

Mcgyver
03-15-2007, 11:16 PM
oh man, big question. ok. Tig welder (Lincoln's got a new one out that looks nice and isn't stupid priced) newall scales, lots of them for everything that moves, and the big fancy Felder machine, thats a complete woodshop of imo incomparable quality in one shot), oscilloscope

reality is though, I don't need a damn thing, several lifetime's worth projects that what i have will do just fine for. well maybe an oscilloscope is one that is almost a need

Frank Ford
03-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Me not know, Kemo Sabe.

Me think me want surface grinder, but me need to check with Big Chief to make sure. Big Chief not SWMBO, but local better-than-me machine pal. Otherwise, me need not more gear but more skill (lots more skill).

Sorry, but I gotta do it that way. I just can't bring myself to use smellies, er, I mean (sort of) "smilies."

scott96088
03-15-2007, 11:52 PM
I want a Z axis (Knee) servo, have one at work and it beats the crap out of cranking that handle !! Also want a power drawbar....and a Rotab, and a bigger lathe, I could keep going....... I need to keep going.....
Since I am just starting to outfit the garage there is a LOT of stuff I want/need......Yea, yea...
a cnc mill would be good too
Kerry

I got the Z feed covered with a driver that goes in my 1/2" drill. I really need a lathe with about 60" or more between centers with all the trimings. the rest I have pretty much handled

Scott

CCWKen
03-16-2007, 12:18 AM
So, I guess you hit the lottery and you're buying everyone's dream?

In that case, I'll take a universal indexer, frame rack w/accessories and a 60x120' metal building.

Alguy
03-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Since i am a novice i would wish for some old pro lookin over my shoulder telling me what i am doing wrong or right,, I read my book have a go at it then poof its junk,, some times i feel like i am reinventing the wheel. that would be my wish.

Ryobiguy
03-16-2007, 01:19 AM
3 things: Tools, materials, and expertise.

Evan
03-16-2007, 01:30 AM
There isn't much more that I really need right now. I have plenty to keep me busy for quite a while. I like my shop the way it is.

Yow Ling
03-16-2007, 03:03 AM
An aeroplane in the shed would be pretty nice

Peter N
03-16-2007, 03:37 AM
More space.

Timleech
03-16-2007, 05:10 AM
More space, at least twice as much, with better access.

Tim

Your Old Dog
03-16-2007, 05:28 AM
A neighbor who shares similar interest. Right now it is just you guys and I'm thankfull you are all here.

ptjw7uk
03-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Something to fill the gap between what I want to do and how to do it!!!
Peter

JPR
03-16-2007, 08:21 AM
a newer mill with cnc
more space
surface grinder

A.K. Boomer
03-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Ok --- i'll do this thing but im not going to poop in my other hand

I want a nice tig, I want a nice little indexer with some 5c collets, and last but not least i want a hot, hot little machinist gurl, some little sweetie who dont mind cleaning up once in awhile, always makes lunch on time and will pose half nekid on my mill... in exchange for me teaching her everything I know:p

DeereGuy
03-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Hmm..wants....I have lots but first on my list is getting this clapped out ole mill I bought back to a resonable tolerance of accuracy. Spindle bearings should be here on Saturday. A guy is comming over Saturday to see what is going to need to be done with the table ways......and then if I have money left I need to go through the varispeed head on this thing and replace the bushings, bearings and belts.

Then I need some acessories for my surface grinder (angle plate, blocks and v-blocks).

Then..then...then.....

john hobdeclipe
03-16-2007, 08:59 AM
More Time.

I have a nice selection of quality woodworking and metalworking tools & equipment. I have a nice, dry place to use them. I feel fortunate to have this stuff and I'm grateful for it.

I have stacks and stacks of sketches of stuff I want to make; drawings of ideas that stretch back over 30 years. All I really need now is Time.

But I wouldn't turn up my nose at a good clean small mill.

BobWarfield
03-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Larger lathe -- 14 or 16" swing. Would love a cherry Mori Seiki or some similarly fine brand, but don't want to restore one, so it will probably be Chinese or Taiwan.

Tree 425 Mill in perfect condition except for a bad controller which I can swap out easily. Should have the 10K rpm spindle option.

A real nice universal grinder suitable for tool work, cylindrical work, and other odd jobs.

Best,

BW

ckelloug
03-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Siding attached to proto-shop thus making space for machine tools.
Bridgy and Lathe in proto-shop in place of siding.
Rollup Door installed in 64 ft^2 hole in proto-shop turning it into a shop.

Corm
03-16-2007, 11:31 AM
* Z axis servo for the BP
* a replacement for my old 13x36 Sheldon that isn't all wore out
* a small surface grinder

Alistair Hosie
03-16-2007, 11:45 AM
surface grinder tool and cutter grinder machine that turns brass into gold:DAlistair

Evan
03-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Not so sure about turning brass into gold but turning gold into iron is easy enough.

CCWKen
03-16-2007, 03:29 PM
I've turned copper into iron; never tried gold. :D It happened when I tried to make copper rods and tried to melt the copper in an iron ladle. :eek: Started dancing all over as copper ferrite started running out of the bottom of the furnas. :o

motomoron
03-16-2007, 07:30 PM
What I want?

A nice Hardinge HLV-H lathe w/ a good set of DROs.

A nice Bridgeport mill, also w/ a good set of DROs.

A Burr King belt grinder.

What I actually need?

Much more space, and better use of said space.

Less and better crap.

More time.

HTRN
03-16-2007, 07:40 PM
A Haas VF-6SS, loaded out.
A Haas SL-20L, loaded out.
And 5000 square foot building to put them in.:D

HTRN

lazlo
03-16-2007, 08:47 PM
A K&T Rotary Head Milling Machine- the kind with a rotary table built into the head, so the end mill moves in circles.
Yeah, the Kearney & Trecker #2D -- what a beauty. Brian (VersaMill) has one. 5500 pounds though!

http://i2.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/92/6a/f5a0_1.JPG

I don't have the space, so I'll have to settle for a Volstro :p

So my list is:

1. More space (my shop is a 2-car garage).

2. A tool and cutter grinder (a Brown & Sharpe #5 Universal T&C Grinder would be perfect)

3. A Volstro rotary head ;)

lane
03-16-2007, 09:46 PM
It sounds to me like a big percent of yall are in business. Lots of Your wants are not to my thinking hobby shop stuff.But every one is different. Just be happy with what you have because some one else would probley love to have it. yes I would love to have a 60 x 100 foot buildinc with one of every thing but for playing around I will have to be happy with 13x40 chin shin lathe my 10 K south bend My old 1943 Van Norman fully tooledMy new birmingham mill and 1960 KOLee 7-18 surface grinder and B600 tool and cutter grinder along with all the other stuff .
It would be nice if we had a swap section where we could trade Tools and tooling to each other that we dont need .A lot of the suff i got came to me by swapping this for that . A broken something that i could fix that the other person could not are did no know how. So keep wanting and dont turn any thing down every thing comes together in its own time. Lane

tiptop
03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I would say a Planer up 10' bed, Surface Grinder and a larger Lathe.

IOWOLF
03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Lane, you are beating a dead horse on the FS, Swap area here.

You may as well forget it. sorry.

lazlo
03-21-2007, 05:53 PM
It sounds to me like a big percent of yall are in business.

Not me -- I'm a garage hack. I thought a tool and cutter grinder was pretty reasonable for a HSM'ers wish list -- no?

and 1960 KOLee 7-18 surface grinder and B600 tool and cutter grinder along with all the other stuff.

Lane, you and I were exchanging emails last December about building a home-brew tool and cutter design. If you have
one of those really nice K.O. Lee B600's (Universal T&C Grinder), why would you want to build one?

lane
03-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Lazlo that was befour i got one. Had been bidding on e Bay with no luck . So decidedto build one then found a nice buy it now. So i got one and yes it ok to want a cutter grinder for a home shop . But Hass mills I dont know and Fancy hardinge lathes are going over board in my thanking .O I would like to have one But the wife would like to have a mint 57 chevy and neather one of us are going to ever have eather.Some things Just aint in the cards.

Fasttrack
03-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Lazlo that was befour i got one. Had been bidding on e Bay with no luck . So decidedto build one then found a nice buy it now. So i got one and yes it ok to want a cutter grinder for a home shop . But Hass mills I dont know and Fancy hardinge lathes are going over board in my thanking .O I would like to have one But the wife would like to have a mint 57 chevy and neather one of us are going to ever have eather.Some things Just aint in the cards.

I guess it depends on whether this is "want list" or "wish list" - i differentiate between the two. I've got a "wish" list that is just the neat machines, tools and whatnots that i see here and in the magazines. Realistically, i will never own them but its fun to pretend. It includes, among other things, a nice old shaper to restore and a '69 'vette :D

Then i've got the "want" list which is a more of a prioritizing deal... its a list of supplies, tools, and machines that i could use. Then i figure which ones i swing right now and which ones will have to wait. For instance, my "want" list has a used drill press on it right now so i know some other things on the want list are going to take a back seat while i save up and look around for a nice used drill press.

Nick Carter
03-21-2007, 09:08 PM
All I want is a separate shop 30 x 40 built next to the house (replacing the carport). As it is I use a room in the house that's 13 x 21, and a leaky carport where all my sheet metal and woodworking tools are rusting away.. Oh the surface grinder is in the pumphouse (it was built big).

That's it.

03-21-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm not in biasness either'I just want a few more tools........:D

psomero
03-22-2007, 01:55 AM
1. more time

2. knowing which little ****head kid in my neighborhood tagged on the streetlight in front of my house with one of those sanford grease pens the other night

3. the TV sets in my house to implode and no longer exist

wait.. #3 = #1

Swarf&Sparks
03-22-2007, 02:28 AM
Seig super X3 with CNC conversion and Vcarve