PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Power Feed Bummer

BigBoy1
03-15-2007, 11:21 PM
My new Grizzly mill came with the power feed attached. There was no paperwork concerning it and no model number listed for it. An accident caused the housing for this power feed unit to be broken. The unit is new, never used. I asked Grizzly to give me part number for the replacemt housing. Guess what, there is no part number as that hosing is NOT available as a part. They will sell me a whole new unit for $420 plus shipping. Also I asked if the housing for the separate power feed unit (G5964) will fit. I was informed that the housings are "not compatable."

The housing is a zinc casting and is broken at the point were the motor housing attaches to the mill, the place were the maximum loads will occur. Haven't decide what to do but sure is bummer that they won't sell the parts needed to repair the items they sell.

Bill

garyphansen
03-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Try JB weld! Gary P. Hansen

ProGunOne
03-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Post a picture for suggestions. JB Weld is a good suggestion.

CCWKen
03-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Try JB weld first. If that doesn't hold, brazing will. The problem with brazing is that you will have to dissassemble it and there's electronics and bookoo widgets in there . Not to mention a re-paint. :(

scott96088
03-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Try JB weld first. If that doesn't hold, brazing will. The problem with brazing is that you will have to dissassemble it and there's electronics and bookoo widgets in there . Not to mention a re-paint. :(

I'm not to sure about brazing a zink diecasting but I have had a few TIG welded. Has to be done by someone that's an artist with a TIG

Scott

BobWarfield
03-16-2007, 12:26 AM
I hear zinc is nasty to weld or braze. How about machining a housing out of aluminum?

Best,

BW

torker
03-16-2007, 12:44 AM
My new Grizzly mill came with the power feed attached. There was no paperwork concerning it and no model number listed for it. An accident caused the housing for this power feed unit to be broken. The unit is new, never used. I asked Grizzly to give me part number for the replacemt housing. Guess what, there is no part number as that hosing is NOT available as a part. They will sell me a whole new unit for $420 plus shipping. Also I asked if the housing for the separate power feed unit (G5964) will fit. I was informed that the housings are "not compatable."

The housing is a zinc casting and is broken at the point were the motor housing attaches to the mill, the place were the maximum loads will occur. Haven't decide what to do but sure is bummer that they won't sell the parts needed to repair the items they sell.

Bill
Bill...I'm not sure if yours is the same feed unit as mine but if mine was to break, I'm pretty sure I could machine a plate that'd bolt the thing together with the new plate being the part that slides into the well and bolts on. Whoa...Is this for a mill/drill or a real mill? Mine's on a mill/drill.
Russ

CCWKen
03-16-2007, 12:46 AM
I doubt if it's pure zinc. It's probably die cast and you can use the alumi-rod stuff. It's more like soldering. You'll still need to disassemble though. Or, you can strip the housing, flash copper plate then use plain ole solder.

torker
03-16-2007, 01:10 AM
I know you can weld (braze)this stuff. There's an old guy here who welds old car part castings etc...like door handles, hood orniments etc. He packs them in his old stash of powdered asbestos. He makes it into a sorta mud paste like mortar, puts it in a properley shaped can then pushes the part into the mud. Lets it dry a bit then welds it with somekind of alu braze rod as Ken said.
He does nice work and wanted to teach me how to do it but the powdered asbestos deal turned me off. He's covered in the stuff after he had the mold made to hold the part. Yukk...not for me...seen too much off that kind of crap already.
Russ

wierdscience
03-16-2007, 01:11 AM
If you decide to try JB weld,embed some aluminum screenwire in the JB to add strength.

Your Old Dog
03-16-2007, 06:10 AM
I would think if you did the JB Weld stuff and then topped it off with a sheet of 1/8th aluminum plate it would hold very well. Might be a good idea if doing it this way to put some 1/8 long pieces of 16 gauge wire in the corners and center so you can't squeese it too hard and "starve" the glue joint.

This JB stuff looks interesting. With a good release agent you should be able to work miracles on other projects. Sounds abit like Brownells Accraglass to me.

BigBoy1
03-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Before I try any of the suggestions listed above, I'll try to see if I can get Grizzly to do something. Below is a letter I will send to Grizzly.

Mr. S. Balolia
President, Grizzly Industrial, Inc.
1821 Valencia St.
Bellingham, WA 98229

Dear Mr. Balolia,

I have heard only good reports about your company and its products. Based upon that information, I placed an order for about $10,000 of tooling. One of the items purchased was a G9902 milling machine with an attached longitudinal power feed. When the machine was unpacked, there was absolutely no provided paperwork or information on the longitudinal power feed unit. There is not even a model or item number provided.

As the results of an accident, the housing of the attached longitudinal power feed was broken. Since there was no information provided and consequently no part or model numbers, trying to explain to customer service what I needed was rather difficult. After several e-mail exchanges, I finally had to send a picture of the broken housing.

I was told that the housing I need is an item that is “unavailable.” I was also told that I would have to order a whole new and complete unit for $420 plus shipping and handling to get a working longitudinal power feed for my mill. I asked about using the housing for the Model H5964 Power Feeder and I was told that it was “not compatible.”

I find it rather disconcerting that there are 12 milling machines listed in the 2007 catalog, all using the same longitudinal power feed. If they all lack information on their attached longitudinal power feeds and spare parts are hard or impossible to obtain, there is going to be a lot more unhappy customers.

I would appreciate if you could look into this matter to see if you can rectify this situation.

Sincerely,

William Cogger

stuntrunt
03-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi,

You might ask them if they ever get some 'fried' units returned, and that you'd be very happy if you were to get one of those for just the shipping charges...

cybor462
03-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Bill.. You are doing it the right way. Grizzly like most other companies want a good name. They also want a bottom line. They want to take in much more than they put out. They will be stubborn to most as this has proven to make most people quit without really getting mad.
You need to stick to your guns, tell them you love their stuff and you buy loads of it and hope to make them your first choice always but the situation your in now has you a bit worried about how they do business and treat their customers. Always mention that you are an avid web bbs poster in the machining field and have heard loads of good stuff about Grizzly but you would hate to have to post a negative outcome with this problem as many new users use the web based bbs for guidance and this would not be a good look for Grizzly. Assure them you know they are going to do the right thing and get the needed part for your powerfeed. You will be pleased to post that outcome to your friends and others on the web.

I did this and received a full shipping refund for my mill (UPS freight kept setting appointments to drop off and never came or called) so I kept taking time off, losing money and was p*ssed. I know it was not Grizzlys fault but they hired them and they had to make it right. They did by giving me 300.00 back. Also I had thought I needed a few parts for my mill which like yours they had no part numbers or prices or way of getting it. After 2 weeks I had in my email all the exploded views of the mill(only they had it before that) part numbers and that they would special order them all from China for me.

Keep after them, you will get what you need.

Tim125
03-16-2007, 02:18 PM
That's just wrong.

TECHSHOP
03-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Been a way for a few days,

I am not entirely sure on your mill, but most of the power feeds on the Griz machines are "ALIGN" brand. "ALIGN" power feeds are a fairly common import item and are sold seperately by a few different venders. What I don't know is, who stocks "spare parts".

I own an "ALIGN", say no more, say no more :(

As for Griz, they may just take a "new one" off another machine, judging from their "tent sales" offerings they will "cannibalize and sacrifice" when pushed.

pcarpenter
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Post a pic and take some measurements. I have an old Align that came on my Bridgeport along with an internal smoke generating feture:D

I bought the mill on Ebay with no disclaimer that the power feed did not work. When I went to pick it up, there was a tag on the power cord stating "do not plug in" which I had to do to find out why.

I contacted the seller who started the "as is" dance. I indicated that they must have known that it was toast and should have just advertised that. He asked me what I wanted and I asked for half the cost of a new one...which he was willing to do.

so....in short, I may have a housing that would work for you if the type is correct. Most of the Chinese BP type power feeds all seem to come from the same factory with different stickers on them anyway.

If it is one of this generic variety for use on Bridgeport type mills, I would tell you that they can be had new for around the $200 mark for the x-axis feed.

LMK

P.S. The H5964 you referenced in your letter to Grizzly seems to be a "guitar hanger" when I looked it up on their web site :-)

Paul

BigBoy1
03-21-2007, 08:49 PM
I received a call from Grizzly Headquaters in response to the letter I wrote and posted above. I did not catch the persons name. Anyway, he went on to explain that Grizzly cannot stock replacement items for everything they sell. They have "limited parts" for the power feed. The company they buy the power feeds from will not sell them the housings. (My BS meter just went off!) I cited that there were 12 mills in the catalog with the attached power feed and he assured that each and everyone one of those power feeds were different and it it would be impossibe to try and keep track and stock parts for all of the variations. (BS meter pitch raising!) I asked about getting a housing from a returned unit and was told that the units are not returned so there are none available. (I guess since there are no parts available, everyone just throws them away when they wear out.) He suggested that I take the housing to a local welding shop and have them weld it. I asked how does one "weld" a zinc based metal die casting? He didn't have a clue what I was talking about and changed the subject. He was sorry that they couldn't help me with the broken housing but they will be happy to sell me an entire new power feed unit for $420!

Bill

billr
03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
good evning.

i may have missed something, but in your letter you said that you had bought $10k worh of tools.

is this a *new* mill?

i suppose i am confused.

life sucks. then you die.

peace.
billr.

Norman Warfield
03-22-2007, 06:55 AM
I have a Grizzly mill, just for curiousity I called them to acertain the availability of a replacement motor. ( i didn't need one I was fishing for an answer).

They said they didn't have a replacement, nor could they get one for me.

I will remember that when I buy more machenery!

pcarpenter
03-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I think I probably understand Grizzly's predicament on this....these items are in a way a commodity item and are purchased whole and probably by the container load...and pretty cheaply at that...and bolted on their machinery. In my search for parts a couple of years ago, I found *nothing* from any company called "align"....they are one of many stickers found on fairly generic Chinese import products. I did find a place that was supposedly in the repair business and they had parts lists on the web...but even that doesn't mean they can get them all. It is really not relavant since you probably can't cost justify buying most of the parts for something available new, this cheaply. Grizzly's $450 price is not very reasonable given that a similar product is almost always on sale at Enco or others for around $250 and I got my replacement on Ebay for closer to $200.

I may be able to go to a local Tractor Supply store and buy a replacement small gas engine, and they may have same engine in tractors they sell, but I don't expect that they will stock every part for every engine in every tractor they sold. The engine is a unit in and of itself and there are places that deal with parts for them.

Paul

TxBaylea
03-22-2007, 10:46 AM
This is my first post, be gentle. I have been lurking for awhile and have learned a lot. I do more woodworking than metal working. I only have an Atlas/Craftsman 6x18 right now.

I have been contemplating, drooling even, over a Grizzly G9959 Wood Mill to serve both purposes. I now realize the best approach would to buy the bare machine and add the power feed separately and avoid this hassle. I realize that the spindle speeds are too high for most metalworking but figured that I could figure out an easy way to swap a 1725 rpm motor on to the machine.

Vernon

sidneyt
03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
If can not repair the unit that is broken you could consider replacing it with a HF 38946 model power feed ($269.99) that matches the G5964 model. At least HF has parts for their power feed. I have the 135 inch lbs version of this power feed and it has worked without problem for the past 4 years.

Mark Hockett
03-22-2007, 11:40 AM
CDCO has those on sale for $175 right now. To find it on their web site click on machine tool toolings, then click on milling machine tooling and scroll down 8 items to find it.
http://www.cdcotools.com/

They are also listed in the latest issue of HSM.

pcarpenter
03-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I sent Bill a message and we are going to see if perhaps the housing I have will work. I agree that they are available a whole lot less expensively than the new one from Grizz. I like Grizzly...their tooling is sometimes less cheesy than other importers, but they are often not the lowest cost source for a lot of things. In this case, I imagine it would be even nicer if he didn't have to spend even $200 on a complete replacement.

Paul

JEP
10-21-2007, 06:22 PM
never mind,,brain fart

Dawai
10-21-2007, 11:52 PM
DId someone call for a tattoo artist who tig welds?

Gotta get me on a good day. I have been waiting on one of them good days to tig weld in the roll cage into the civic truck I am building. The best welds are just about to fall out as a hole.

Personally guys, this might be a job for the henrob gas welder.

J Tiers
10-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Typical for chinese products. No parts support aside from certain parts.

The "manufacturer" i.e. "Grizzly" does not actually have control of the parts, as THEY buy these things complete. Very much like HF.

Usually there is a management decision to NOT handle the parts beyond a certain level. My former employer decided they would NOT support component repairs, only PW board replacement on their imported complete products. it turned out to be a mistake.

However, Grizzly may be correct, in that the same drive is used, but with DIFFERENT mounting holes. That ,makes the housings "not interchangeable" and they would have to stock each one separately, which they won't do.

Since they don't make or separately buy the parts (they actually "make" nothing), they can't supply them.

John R
10-22-2007, 06:58 AM
ALINE has a web site. I had an electrical problem with mine and they did have some advise. We did not get into spares. I just bought a part at the electronics store and worked it into the unit. On other problems Grizzly has always been good and has furnished spares but on this one they waved me off to Align.
Good luck
John R

hdj80
10-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Align is also sold in Australia so I assume they are a Taiwanese manufacturer. Real name?????

Anyway I guess from where I sit I would expect the electronic parts to generally be available, but the main die cast housing!! Nope lets face it, it's a non wearing, non faulting item. F Ups occur I know but I wouldn't expect the importer to stock something just for the 1 in a million case where someone has a brain fart and breaks the unbreakable. ;)

recoilless
10-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Bigboy1: I found myself in the same situation about five years ago looking for a replacement part for a VERTEX brand super spacer I had recently purchased. I thought, "Simple enough, this part is broken, order a new one."
It just doesn't work that way with some of these companies. I started at MSC and went back up(down) the line, even calling some import /export company. No luck. I ended up solving it the American(no offence to any foreign nationals who frequent this forum, insert your homeland)way, I made a replacement part myself. I don't know if you can do this. I think your letter is a good start, good luck.

pcarpenter
10-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Oh yikes.....I think you guys missed that someone inadvertantly posted a reply to this really old thread, bringing it back to the front.

I think Bill got the part he needed a long time ago:)

paul