PDA

View Full Version : Anti-galling lubricant for ally

Alan Smith
03-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Can anyone recommend a lubricant that will prevent galling in fine aluminium threads. The application is a drain bolt in a fuel bowl in a M/C carburettor. The original bolt had siezed and the threads were stripped off in removing, fortunately the threads in the fuel bowl were left intact and have cleaned up OK with a tap (M16x1.0mm). I now have a replacement bolt but don't want a repeat performance, is there a magic substance?

GadgetBuilder
03-16-2007, 01:01 PM
How about teflon tape as used for plumbing, etc. ?

chipmaker4130
03-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I've had the best luck with a lead-based anti-seize compound, but it is hard to find these days. There is a copper-based compound available from auto parts stores that works well too.

Lynn Standish
03-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Most auto parts stores sell an anti-seize compound (grease) that contains molybdenumdisulfide and copper or some other metal. The only problem would be if the gasoline in the fuel bowl disolves the stuff.

Evan
03-16-2007, 01:16 PM
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/regulargrade.htm

Alan Smith
03-16-2007, 01:17 PM
I wondered about copperslip but was wary given aluminiums behaviour in contact with other metals. Teflon tape is a good idea. Thanks.

ckelloug
03-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I've always thought it would be fun to get a can of the nuclear grade never-seeze with the nickel particles.

wierdscience
03-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Graphite mixed with grease works good too.

A.K. Boomer
03-17-2007, 12:05 AM
there is a bicycle product out that does have teflon in it and its designed especially for this reason in the bottom brackets of aluminum bikes, never - sieze or anti-seize, this is what i use on all lug nuts and spark plug threads esp. plugs that go into aluminum heads, molybdenumdisulfide is a really good engine assembly lube but i dont know how it holds up to keeping corrosion at bay and after long periods of time.

John Garner
03-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Alan --

I had to pull this from the dusty way-back of memory, so view it with a jaundiced eye, ok?

My recollection from Air Force days of yore is that copper- or graphite-filled anti-seize compounds actually promote corrosion in aluminum, especially if there is any moisture present. I also recall that the most common anti-seize for aluminum parts was a fifty-fifty mixture of zinc dust in petrolatum (aka petroleum jelly, often, "Vaseline", which is brand name in the US), but such a mixture obviously won't withstand any petroleum solvent.

Neither will the zinc-petrolatum mixture (which, by the way, does have a Federal Spec) withstand elevated temperature. For high-temperature use, a common and very effective anti-seize is plain, unflavored Milk of Magnesia.

Brush Milk of Magnesia generously onto the male thread and skimpily into the female thread, then assemble while still wet.

Milk of Magnesia is especially effective on the threads of spark plugs and turbine ignitors . . . once dried, it's not conductive and thus won't short-out the spark even if applied a bit sloppily.

John