PDA

View Full Version : need help with SB 7" Shaper Gib/Oil/Pump

Your Old Dog
03-16-2007, 03:27 PM
I got my SB 7" shaper home and everything seems to work okay except the oiling circuit. It is pumping oil but if I open up the valves all the way (inline with the tubing according to the manual) oil comes out on top the way on the left side and runs down the side of the machine.

The gib when taken out shows a large oil galley ground into it and a thru hole about 1/8" and a little bit egg shaped.

When you put the gib in place, tighten down the gib screws for proper fit, what seals the back of the gib to the oil galley port to keep oil from running all over? I see that on the end of each dovetail is a galley built into the major casting to return the oil to the resevoir. Or is it possible someone bored out the hole to 1/8" to promote more flow?

I have to open the valves to try to get oil thru some of the other ports and when I do I get flooded out on the gib.

I could use a little help here with someone familiar with the SB 7" shaper.

edited to add the following:
Went back out to the shop to survey the situation closer. Now when I look at the top left of the shapers housing, between two gib screw adjustments I note there is a 1/8" hole thats been plugged shut with some 1/8" steel material. My guess is this is how the oil galley gets built into the cast system. I'm wondering if I just lightly tap that plug in a little further, will it take up the void between the oil delivery system and the back of the gib where the oil appears to be leaking out of? I'm depending on you boys !! Don't fail me now !

Al Messer
03-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Well, I have the very same problem. So, in order to avoid bathing the side of the Shaper in oil, I turned down the adjusting screw until it is almost turned "off" and lubricate that way with the hand oil can before every session and sometimes in the middle of things if it is a long job. Personally, I was satisfied with the lube system on my old Atlas Shaper. I realize that this does not answer your question, but to be perfectly honest, I do not have an answer---wish I did!

Your Old Dog
03-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Okay Al, I did as you said you did and got the way overflow problem corrected. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be worked all along. As long as the ways get some oil and the rest is allowed to escape behind the gib and drain back into the resevoir then I guess all is okay with that.

BUT, I ain't done yet with questions. The main drive gear in my mill looks to be phenolic. There is an oiler tube above the gear but no oil coming out of it. I stuck a little piece of MIG wire up the end for about 2 inches in hopes of freeing something up. The phenolic gear is now pretty dry. All the splashing and squirting that goes on in there seems to keep everything well lubed except that phenolic wheel. Anybody got any suggestions for how to try and clean out this tube? Dismantling everything is nothing I really want to do as I seldom get lucky on projects like that.

Thanks for any ideas anyone can suggest.

Optics Curmudgeon
03-16-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't have a South Bend, but there are quite a few people that do on the Yahoo shapers group:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Metal_Shapers/?yguid=131839817

Seems to me that this is a common problem and has been discused at length there. This may have come up before, I remember someone avoiding Yahoo here, if I rehashing please forgive.

Joe

KyMike
03-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Check to see if the oil level in the main housing is up to the bottom of the pipe plug on the left side of the housing below the round access door. If it is, then the gear should already be running in an oil bath. I think the tube over the gear is there to oil the sliding yoke assembly, although my shaper is a later model with a steel gear and its possible that the oil tubes are arranged slightly different. If there is no oil squirting out of the tube with the machine running, then the oil valve screw is shut off (there are 2 of these screws, at least on mine), the tube is clogged or there is trouble with the pump. I think you will need to remove the tube and partially straighten it out to run a wire through it.

Mike

Your Old Dog
03-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks Optics.

I was one of the guys who was gun-shy to Yahoo from the unwanted emails and such. Someone suggested giving it another try only don't click on anything accepts whats mandatory. So I did that on a reformatted system and they were right, I've had no trouble so far. I'll go back and give the shaper group a good looking over.

KyMike,
The oil level is proper. I did pull the pressure relieve over flow valve out and found that the spring had been worked on by somebody. I replaced it with a little longer one with factory ends on it to make it stronger but still no oil to the fibre gear. I'm thinking now on trying to hook up a small rubbler hose over the end of the tube and see if I can blow air back thru the pump. The pump itself seems to work great as when I open up the ports I got oil flying around in there and pumping it up the the back of the gibs.

Thanks for the help everyone.