PDA

View Full Version : Stuff Happens

billr
03-17-2007, 10:29 AM
good morning.

yesterday a lady that i have known for most of my life showed up with a stack of village press machinist magazines that go back to 1988 as far as i have seen.

her father was a machinist and died about a year ago. i sort of have mixed feelings about profiting from someone else's adversity. she did say that she thought he would have wanted me to have them.

looks like i have some reading to do.

she says there are more.

peace.
billr

John Stevenson
03-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Good on you Bill,

I much prefer reading stories like this to the usual ones we hear about in the UK.
Model Engineer has been published since 1890 plonk something and so there are lot of copies around, remember it was a weekly magazine once.

All too often now the widow approaches the local club and thinking she's doing some good give hubbbies magazines to the club.
Sometimes they are passed on to a new member [ rare] but mainly they go for recycling as no one wants them.

I hope mine got to a good home when that big faceplate in the sky rolls over me.

billr
03-17-2007, 01:47 PM
hello John.

it was totally unexpected.

the last time i saw this lady she was telling me how totally worthless i am in somewhat more graphic terms.

i don't much want to think about that big faceplate.

however, today is as good a day as any other to die.

peace.
billr.

edited twice to fix my poor typing.

A.K. Boomer
03-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I hope mine got to a good home when that big faceplate in the sky rolls over me.

Only a machinist could come up with that one...

jeastwood
03-18-2007, 01:25 AM
Recycle old MEs? Sacrilege!

I've paid good money for these on ebay. Not so much for the magzines themselves, but for the shipping to the US!

Those back issues are classics; worth the price of shipping for LBSC articles and "Lobby Chat" alone, not to mention "Geometer", "Duplex" and the other quaintly anonymous authors. And as for ETW; a god!

Anglophilacly yours,

Jeff E.

JS
03-18-2007, 01:47 AM
The new owners of MEW and ME have been busy threatening ( legal action )those who have been posting old unavailable issues for the yahoo groups.

So if you find them keep them and if you can share them.

darryl
03-18-2007, 03:42 AM
The gate to machinist heaven has a giant four jaw, NO, a six jaw chuck turning rapidly just inside it. If you're good enough, you can dodge them and make your way over to the Monarchs and South Bends. If you don't make the cut (sic) you get slammed into the pile of clones, combos, and mystery metal.

Assuming you make it past the faceplate.

Yes, accept those magazines with the noble intention of helping others along in this field. That's more profit than you'll get by flogging them on eebaaa

John Stevenson
03-18-2007, 05:20 AM
Recycle old MEs? Sacrilege!

I've paid good money for these on ebay. Not so much for the magzines themselves, but for the shipping to the US!

Those back issues are classics; worth the price of shipping for LBSC articles and "Lobby Chat" alone, not to mention "Geometer", "Duplex" and the other quaintly anonymous authors. And as for ETW; a god!

Anglophilacly yours,

Jeff E.

Shipping is a bitch because of the weight. What you have to realise though is that ME's in the UK don't have the rarity value of say HSM in the US.
The first one was published in 1898 as a monthly and in 1903 as a weekly which kept up until 1962 when it went fortnightly,

Ironic that they kept up publication during the war years even when their offices got bombed to the ground and never missed a beat.

Current issue is around 4297 so that how many have been published since it was introduced.
Model engineering has been very popular here and so there are many copies of this mag around.

Because of time restraints now and the lack of trained people coming into the hobby the demand isn't there for these old copies so it's a supply and demand problem, too may old issues versus to few new readers.

The boom years for ME were in the 60's thru to the late 80's when they had some very good writers and projects on the go.
Before this articles were restricted by the lack of equipment and their way of putting articles over.
Up until the 50's it was rare to see an article describe a project from start to finish. Most gave a few drawings and a bit of description and the rest left to imagination.

As we got over the war materials and equipment became readily available, firms cropped up just to cater for the small user like Myfords and Tom Senior which snowballed into the classics of their day like LBSC, Edgar T Westbury, Prof Chaddock, Jack Ratcliff and George Thomas to name but a few.
It seemed that it was run by Model Engineers for model engineers but things change and in 1990 the workshop articles were spun off into another money making idea called Model Engineers Workshop which has been well received.

Currently on issue 123 or about it's success has left ME as a shell of it's former self and is now more or less a live steam magazine with limited appeal to general readership.
Live steam is still very popular here and keeps the mag running but I know of many who have dropped subscription because of it's limited content.
I have a full set of mag's from 1945 to 2000, I'm not interested in spreading these dates because the contents, both ways, are too limited.
I must admit that the issues that get re-read the most are the three decades of the 60's, 70's and 80's.

motorworks
03-18-2007, 09:35 AM
"I hope mine got to a good home when that big faceplate in the sky rolls over me"

John
I though all of us "machining types"
would be shot in the back by a jealous husband
at 102:D

billr
03-18-2007, 09:36 AM
good morning.

interesting and amusing responses from all. thank you.

John, if/when you get over here to the colonies, it would be my pleasure to buy the beer. i am deadly serious. please let me know if this is gonna happen. i can either put you up here or go wherever to meet you. failing that, i do have your address. maybe i will just send some $$$ for the benefit of the local pub if we can't do it any other way. we can bounce email back and forth as we imbibe. i will always feel like i owe you for all the knowledge that you have shared with all of us. you are ok, John.

also, please tell the Mrs. that i appreciate the shaper and dividing cd's. she wrote me a nice note and sent it along with them. made an old man feel good. do you have one on gear cutting? i am getting close to ready to make a set of gears for my dividing head. i need to find that Ivan Law book too.

as it happens, i have a 16 year old son [whose name is also John and will be17 on the 20th] who wants to be a machinist. perhaps i am a little prejudiced, but i think he will make a good one. he lives with his mother most of the year, but when he comes here the machinist magazines are the first thing he looks for. i keep them in 3 ring binders in order, more or less.

looks like i need to go buy some more binders and some of them little plastic things that hold the magazines. i am told by the lady in question that there will be more.

i assume that i am digressing here, but it is early in the morning and it was a rough night. my apologies.

peace.
billr

billr
03-18-2007, 09:43 AM
John S.:

if it ain't too much trouble, i would still like to get a couple of pictures of that cut knurling tool.

i would really prefer that you not go to a lot of trouble with this, but if you get a chance i would appreciate it.

i delude myself into thinking that maybe i can build one.

thank you, Sir. have a good day.

peace.
billr

Mcgyver
03-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Good on you Bill,
All too often now the widow approaches the local club and thinking she's doing some good give hubbbies magazines to the club.
Sometimes they are passed on to a new member [ rare] but mainly they go for recycling as no one wants them.
that's really sad, any that come up at TSME (toronto) are instantly snapped up, usually around $1 per. To any aspiring model engineers, the old ME are GOLD. Most of our homeshop equipment is technology of the same era and the knowledge, skill and writing ability of some of these authors is tremendous. 40's 50's and 60's are my favorites

speaking of faceplate's, spent all day yesterday on faceplate work. I like faceplate work, makes me feel connected with the craftsmen of yesterday. back when men would layout and cut threads by hand and the 4jaw was just a glimmer in some designers mind

John Stevenson
03-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Bill,
Working on a gear CD at the moment.
Which knurling tool was it you were interested in, straight, [ simple one ] or the crossed knurl.

BTW just as a reference this advert came in today on our free adverts site.
About typical for here.

>For Sale
>Books/Magazines
>A lifetimes collection of model engineer and engineering in miniature magazines from the 1930-1990s approx 1000 copies many sorted in date order and inc an index for model engineer 1975-1992,due to the weight probably in the region of 100kg collection only.125.00

>

HTRN
03-19-2007, 05:27 AM
"I hope mine got to a good home when that big faceplate in the sky rolls over me"

John
I though all of us "machining types"
would be shot in the back by a jealous husband
at 102:D

I think you mean "angry father" :D

billr
03-19-2007, 09:25 AM
hello John S.

i [think] i want to try to build the crossed one. i suppose we will see about that.

please let me know when the gear cd is done. i want at least one. maybe one for the kid too.

if i was closer i would be jumping all over those magazines. i *need* more junk around here. i think they would sort of compliment all the old rusty stuff.

thank you, Sir. i really appreciate this. i know you are busy.

peace.
billr.

ETA: i always hoped i would die as mentioned above. however, getting shot hurts and when you come down to it, today is as good as any other day to die.

ETA2: because i am a crappy typist.

ETA3: because i don't do this very well. duh.

John Stevenson
03-19-2007, 09:55 AM
The best day to die is when you have maxed every credit card out you own.....................

TECHSHOP
03-20-2007, 06:01 PM
That would have been yesterday....

Looking over my shoulder for the "angry father of a bridesmaid at my grandson's wedding".