PDA

View Full Version : Tilting Angle Table

DICKEYBIRD
03-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Sheesh, it's amazing how long it takes me to complete even simple projects. I started Mr. Ishimura's Tilting Angle Table 4 or 5 weeks ago and just now finished it. I made a few mods to allow using the stock and hardware I had lying around. It's pretty tall but the X-3 has enough headroom for most tasks I'll need it for.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/TiltTableFin.jpg

I didn't have any steel in my scrap pile thick enough for the base so I screwed together 2 pieces of 1/2" aluminum. I cheated on the slotted table and used a cut down Micro Mill table I had left over from the milling adaptor mod. on my lathe. I turned some hat-shaped bushings for all the pivot points from some old suspension bolts and was able to hold pretty tight tolerances to get out all the slop I could. The metal's pretty hard so I think it'll wear well.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/TiltTableFin1.jpg

Seems to work great although I've only made a few cuts with it in aluminum so far. I needed 3 cuts at 30 deg., 120 deg. apart for a handle and it worked fine. No way it can be as rigid as the "real" thing but it's a heck of a lot better than what I had.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/TiltTableFinCut.jpg

BobWarfield
03-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Very nice!

I need to build one of these myself at some point.

Ishimura is a wonder, isn't he?

Best,

BW

DICKEYBIRD
03-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks Bob, your site is another one I go to, like Mr. Ishimura's, when I need some new things to daydream about building.:) This stuff is addicting, eh? I have no idea where it's taking me in the long run, but who cares....it's FUN!

Your Old Dog
03-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the pics and thanks for the nameing convention you used. I wish other guys would do the same. When I plagerize your work and copy it, it's nice not to have to rename all the pictures to keep them grouped together in my plagerized folder ! :D

I also appreciate your saying how long it took. It takes me forever to do this stuff and I have a tendancy to think it's just me. Maybe I need to be more patient.

DICKEYBIRD
03-17-2007, 02:49 PM
You know what they say Y.O.D.: If you copy a person's work it's plagiarism. If you copy several people's work it's RESEARCH! :)

Peter N
03-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Nice work DB, and nice to see some more project pics back on the forum.

Peter

lane
03-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Looks real nice .But for a more solid attachment add another link comming down to the botton a sort of a frame will help a lot. A slotted bar both sides about 3/8 by 1 material would do.

Carld
03-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Very nice work. I would have put the support arms anchored more to the end of the tilt table to give better support. I would also have a removeable jack screw to adjust the table easily. Just some thoughts for improvements.

lugnut
03-18-2007, 01:23 AM
DICKEYBIRD, that is great, I'm glad you posted the photos. I started making the same table yesterday and what's wierd is I'm using the cast table from my conversion of a 3 in 1 Grizzly machine to a seperate milling machine and lathe. I have a limited space on the mini mill and so I think my table will be some smaller than the one you built, but very close. Your photos helped solve some things that the photos in Mr. Ishimura's Tilting Angle Table left out. If it turns out ok I will post some photos. If not, I know nothing:D
Thanks
Mel

DICKEYBIRD
03-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the input fellows.:)

I agree with the suggestions that the adjustment arms need to be farther from the pivot point. I just followed the designer's geometry to make sure that it'd work. My slotted table is longer than his which does increase the leverage and magnifies the appearance of weakness.

With the original geometry, the tops of the arms don't extend above the plane of the top of the table as it's moved through the various angles. This is so they don't interfere with a larger tool or work that may be clamped to the table.

I'm planning to make a few sets of fixed supports made to the correct length to set the commonly used angles...say 15, 30, 45 and 90 degrees. These will be made from heavier stock and attached out near the end of the table. Should make things more rigid.

Oh, one other mod I made was to mill a couple slots in the base and made some close-fitting keys to index the thing onto the mill table. Saves setup time.

cmiller231
03-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Can somebody tell me where can i see Ishimura's work??
Thanks Chris

GRH
03-18-2007, 10:06 AM
See

http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/index-e.html

Graeme

Mcgyver
03-18-2007, 10:34 AM
hey that looks really good. agree with the geometry thing, but it'll be easy to add more holes along the side

A.K. Boomer
03-18-2007, 10:47 AM
The first thing i notice was your quality work --- very nice, but i have to agree with you about the pivots, and what you said about making up a variety of different arms is a steller idea and maybe a few different mounting places that keep the distance as short as posible but also favoring the other side of the table mount, this of course will have to end up being a compromise, The other thing I would do is to whatever I did on the one side i would also duplicate on the other, this would add lots of rigidity also... (you might already have this - I just cant tell by the pics)

It sure doesnt seem like you had a rigidity problem end milling into that peice though, Nice work.

oldtiffie
05-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Deleted/edited-out

quasi
05-14-2007, 07:37 PM
very nice work!!!!

PHiers
05-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Excellent work! Now I have another project to put off doing. :D

oldtiffie
07-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Deleted/erased-out

oldtiffie
07-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Deleted/edited-out

jkilroy
07-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Mr. Ishimura does some mighty impressive work, always a pleasure to browse his site.