PDA

View Full Version : Personal Shoptask Site

DaHui
03-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a Shoptask (3 in 1) owner and I've been keeping up a website about my experiences with the machine and some of the projects I've been working on. I've had it for about a year and now that I have some content I thought it might be time to post it here and open the flood gates!

I imagine it will be interesting to some and very amusing for others so take a minute to check it out.

cheers,

www.the-alchemist.com

slowtwitch
03-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks!!!! Great web site and great work :D

pete

ckelloug
03-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Your site is interesting and well designed. You are also a good writer. You'd be great at teaching people how to do machine. Why are you taking machining classes out of curiosity?

Your Old Dog
03-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Looks like you got the machine under control! The work looks good.

DaHui
03-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi,

Thanks very much! As for machining, I guess I've decided I want to be a machinist. Ever since the mountain biking boom in the early 90's I've been fascinated with machining and CNC, now I want to do it myself and kind of shift gears in my career.

I'm involved with product design and development and would like to do more in terms of prototyping, fabrication and understanding the manufacturing processes that are being used to make the products by working with those materials and methods directly. Another aspect, and perhaps more important, is that I'm starting to work on my own projects instead of doing so much consulting work. Oh, and it's fun!

thanks again

tattoomike68
03-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Very nice, your site is well done. Everyone should have a look at that.

Bookmarked....

A.K. Boomer
03-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Im impressed with your site, you have had to deal with quite a bit with that machine, I actually was considering one before i bought my mill and talked to a guy who owned one and he stated many of the same problems that you have and added that reguardless of what he tried his mill head could not be brought around and was a sloppy mess, He did state that he got the lathe part to perform very accurate but it took lots of tweeking, needless to say if it does what you want it to then thats all that matters and it would be handy to have one machine be able to do many operations, Your website is the bomb and you are a credit to machining community, not only that ---- you have a talent and a user friendly apeal in the way you discribe things, "two thumbs up" ------ "a must see";)

Furnace
03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Cool site, I really enjoyed it.

BobWarfield
03-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Oustanding site!

I'll be adding it to my list of links.

Best,

BW

Evan
03-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Nicely done web site. I do web site design and hosting myself.

It isn't fool proof though :D :D

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/foolproof.jpg

DaHui
03-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi all,

Thanks very much for the comments, I wasn't really sure what people would think. I've certainly never documented anything quite so thoroughly. I like the idea that it represents my entire learning experience from "zero" to where ever it might go in the future.

A.K., thanks for the two thumbs. I think that's my first official review!

B.W., I enjoy your site as well, much more organized than I am and some very interesting projects. It's nice to see a fellow Rhino user!

Evan, well I figured out what the problem is! Although, you should really consider following the instructions! Only joking. I guess I need to change the target for that link. I put it up there because I noticed some google links from when I didn't have any frames on the site, and that just loads the content page with no navigation.

I posted my upgrade to Baldor 1.5 hp motors and a VFD if anyone is interested.

thanks again for stopping by and advice/tips are welcome. I know I've missused some terms here an there, novice thing and all, but I decided to leave them as part of the historical documentation. I mean...I'm lazy.

DaHui
03-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks again for pointing out the nesting bug Evan, that was a bad one! After I posted it I never clicked on the link since I could, in fact, see the menu. Should be all set now.

cheers

Milacron of PM
03-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Quite a contraption...must be the "ultimate" Shop Task model designed by Rube Goldberg ;)

Bill Hopcraft
03-22-2007, 09:02 PM
What a terrific website! A perfect mix of information and humor. Is there anything this guy can't do? Machine work, welding, electrical, photography, writing - he's got all the bases covered. Damn, I bet he even knows how to cook!

Evan
03-23-2007, 03:22 AM
Thanks again for pointing out the nesting bug Evan, that was a bad one! After I posted it I never clicked on the link since I could, in fact, see the menu. Should be all set now.

I spent several years doing software alpha testing for JASC before they were absorbed by Corel. Having programming experience I can never resist trying to break software. I'm one of those people that can't resist pushing the button labled "DO NOT PUSH". I specialized in finding ways to crash the applications by finding improperly handled limit conditions.

Say, I wonder if I can set the paint brush size to zero? Why yes I can. :D What happens if I draw with it? BOOM. :D

Alistair Hosie
03-23-2007, 03:29 AM
Good site well done have fun kindest regards Alistair

DaHui
08-11-2009, 02:55 AM
Just put a bunch of new projects up on my site. I started with a Shoptask 3-in-1 and I've graduated to a Bridgeport and Hardinge HLV-H. Things are getting interesting!

www.the-alchemist.com

macona
08-11-2009, 04:00 AM
Watched the vid of the VFD. What is that awful noise coming from the lathe.

Why so slow of a ramp up? Does it trip the VFD if you set it faster?

loosewatches
08-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Truly bitchin site. I like your Drill Circle Jig. I'll admit that at first glace I thought you were nuts. I thought you were using the blue part (looks face mill box?) as the working part of the jig, when in fact it's the part to be worked. That's what I get for thinking.

The jig is actually quite slick. And MDF is a good choice for that kind of thing.

Anyway thanks for posting. I'll look forward to paroozing it with my coffee in the mornings for a while.

-loose

p.s. Not to be to big a turd, but the side frame on the site makes me a bit claustrophobic. Otherwise, fantastic!

Falcon67
08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Nice web site. I'll be on there a while picking up tips. I looked at the Shop Task machines, but I decided that individual machines was right for me.

"fair amount of work to get things 5 x 5." Must be an older radio operator or ham.

Frame web sites are pretty much "old school" and can cause trouble for people linking to specific pages. You can really only link to the main page, which may be what you want. In any event, the time and effort to change over is probably not worth the hassle. Newer sites use "templates" and style sheets in programs like Dreamweaver so you can make changes like additions to the left bar menu without having to change every page on the site. It's nicely laid out and no sense in turning over a perfectly good apple cart.

DaHui
08-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I hate frames as well but they didn't have such fancification in my software when I started it. I went with frames because I wanted it to be as easy as possible to update. Although, I just upgraded to CS4 and waiting on my copy of Dreamweaver.

I also have some issue with my videos now...for some reason they crash chrome and they won't display in IE either, so it's interesting that other people can see them. Silly progress. Can anyone else see them?

Oh and I'm not a radio operator, just have some military friends ;)

DaHui
03-01-2010, 02:12 AM
Hi folks,

I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to myself but I finally got around to some more updates if anyone is interested! A couple of teasers:

http://www.the-alchemist.com/Images/Shoptask/Table%20Covers/DSC00176.jpg http://www.the-alchemist.com/Images/Shoptask/DRO%20Mount/JPEG/DSC00215.jpg

http://www.the-alchemist.com/Images/Shoptask/Welding%20Table/JPEG/DSC04829.jpg

Deja Vu
03-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi DaHui,
No, you're not talking to yourself.
Nice work! I've been stopping by at your site for years. As you know, but probably don't remember, I too have basically rebuilt a Shoptask and used it to make a solid CNC router table. I haven't replaced the spindle bearings on it yet, but will refer to your data when and if the time comes.
I commend you for keeping your site going!
Many times I started a personal site with the intentions of transferring the two threads I have in CNC Zone regarding my Shoptask rebuild and subsequent router table build, but settled on just using any site I started as a "photo exchange" repository for when I need to post photos.

Most of my activity was during Art's Mach2 development when testing new features (especially turning) and responding to Art's output.
heh! kinda nostalgic.

Great that you keep adding on as your skills and projects accumulate!

Bloy2004 (CNC Zone Handle)

JMcTool
03-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Nice work, DaHui. This is the first time I remember running across your site, and it's a good one. I don't have a Shoptask but much of your work is applicable to other machines. I have found several pages of great interest, including a SlapForehead-Eureka moment when reading your lathe motor mount page. Thanks for that!

#19 08-11-2009, 08:49 AM loosewatches:
If you open a new window for the page you get a lot more screen real estate.

Thanks for all your work, DaHui.

Jim