PDA

View Full Version : OT Hey David, Which Ear?

GKman
03-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Got lucky enough to retire early (for a while anyway) and thought that getting an ear pierced should be my top priority. Sure as he** don't want in the WRONG ear. With your vast experience in the body adornment business, I figured you're THE MAN to ask.

Which ear for manly men?

Your Old Dog
03-20-2007, 02:38 PM
I think David will agree, the real men these days aren't getting their ear pierced. That's passe. The real men these days are doing their nipples. Have a good time :D

Dawai
03-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I have no piercings.

Seems one is a pirate, other a fairy, both is?? A very happy pirate?

I had my left ear pierced in the 70s.. took off my helmet in Florida, ear ring stayed in helmet. Felt so good I never put it back.

There was a easyrider magazine story about just this subject in the 70s...

Swarf&Sparks
03-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Easyriders! Sheeeit.
Is miraculous Mutha still kickin?
Haven't seen that mag for years.

LarryinLV
03-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Back in the 60's, I heard that left is right and right is, er...different.

Today I'm so far from "progressive" thinking, but it looks like anything goes.

Hey, get 'em both pierced and you can switch (so-to-speak)when conditions dictate...

Don't forget the ponytail with a rubber-band.

John Stevenson
03-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I thought the rubber band was for the Hardly Dangerous ?

IOWOLF
03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Ummm,My opinion...(In my best mexican Bandito impersonation)You don't need no more stinking holes in yer head.

Rustybolt
03-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Get a nice Tat of a Bridgeport. I bet nobody else has one.

madman
03-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Used to be when i was a kid only girls women got ears pierced. I know when you grab a guys pierced ear in a bar fight you dont even haftah rip the ear off just the earing and they howl a bit. I dont think guys should have em but then maybe behind closed doors they like dressin like women folk.

Fasttrack
03-20-2007, 06:45 PM
"Get a nice Tat of a Bridgeport. I bet nobody else has one."

Hahaha - now that's something i'd consider... :D

Yeah, i'm personally not for the whole tattoo/piercing thing, but i don't care what other people do. Two of my sisters have tattoos, which always makes me laugh because they aren't the type of girl you would peg as having a tattoo... you know like top of thier class in high school, very smart, interested in history... hahaha makes me chuckle

Anyhow, guys at my school who get thier ear pierced, well unless they are flamming, they get thier left ear done.

Alistair Hosie
03-20-2007, 07:14 PM
I mustbe getting old I cant understand the piercing thing sorry.I mean why drill holes in you body??? To make matters worse youngsters are having great big saucers put in their ears what happens when you get older and feel this is no longer cool???Alistair

thistle
03-20-2007, 08:29 PM
some big blue shaper 6 s and 9s through eyelids nostrils, ears lips ect would certainly make you stand out in the crowd........

I never feel the need to recreationaly perforate myself- get more perforations than a teabag during the working day.

Fasttrack
03-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I mustbe getting old I cant understand the piercing thing sorry.I mean why drill holes in you body??? To make matters worse youngsters are having great big saucers put in their ears what happens when you get older and feel this is no longer cool???Alistair

haha i have enough trouble drilling holes in me body by accident! Last thing i need is someone doing it for me... imho

Like i said, I don't have problems with other people doing it, so have fun GKMan

oop just read thistle's post - agree completely!

A.K. Boomer
03-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Agree'd ----- I can not for the life of me figure out the allure, Better be happy with it cuz you got it forever esp. a saggy tattoo --- I know a girl who got a tattoo on the small of her back, then she didnt like it , then she tried to get it lazer removed, not good --- then she tried to get it surgically removed, even worse cuz the wound opened and now she has a massive scar there...

Get high - get stupid - get a tattoo:p

FatWheels
03-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Here's the easiest way to remember which is which. Just the same way you remember the correct side to climb into the saddle:

Left is right, and right is wrong!

And no, I didn't learn this watching the academy award winner (bleccchh) Humpback Mountain. Well, something like that I guess.

Cheers,

Jim

Evan
03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Fun hobby, for some...

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/pierce1.jpg

wierdscience
03-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Fun hobby, for some...

Am I the only one who has the urge to spray it with bug spray???

IOWOLF
03-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey I was makin ' some bucks makeing Stainless "spools" for those guys that have big holes in there ears.from 3/8 to 3/4" 10 to 20 bucks a piece for 10 minutes work. even made some out of Corian.

speedy
03-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Got lucky enough to retire early (for a while anyway) and thought that getting an ear pierced should be my top priority. Sure as he** don't want in the WRONG ear. Which ear for manly men?

The middle ear?

Then there is circumcision and a Prince Albert.
Nipple pins
A stupid bandanna on the shaven head.
A scarf hanging out of the jean pocket.

A.K. Boomer
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Fun hobby, for some...

Good God Evan you really come up with some classics, wonder how that "person" (sorry dont really know the gender) gets through the airport?

TGTool
03-21-2007, 12:04 AM
I think I'm slowly figuring it out. The navel ring is how those guys keep the pants from living at their ankles.

And the humongous ear plugs will be used for hearing aids when the bass boost has left them deaf.

Nipple rings I haven't figured out yet, but the Dayaks in Indonesia do a piercing that gives them extraordinary opportunities in the sack.

Dawai
03-21-2007, 05:51 AM
OK:

Speedy.. you got it... A prince albert was the original birth control, the long curved needle like a knitting needle went down the end of the penis and exited close to the scrotum, the sperm instead of flowing out the way god intended, just kinda dribbled out the side, of course, when you urinate you have to hold your finger on the hole like a flute or pee on your shoes.

In the 70s.. A guy with the nick "SPIDER" (wrote for a magazine) was at the swapmeet in Charlotte.. After the tit contest, he had a few women around him, started bragging, pulled his pecker out and it had a spider tattooed on the end.. THE crazy guy with us from NASHVILLE TN, pulled his out, he had the end pierced, rubber bands in it about a foot long and suddenly all the women left "Spider" and surrounded Bino.. THERE was a national famous guy standing there with his pecker in his hand looking around in a drug induced haze trying to figure out why all the women left him.. After all, he was famous, and his "shock" show had never been upstaged before.

So, after seeing that I could not compete with "true" shocking people. I did not try. I have no piercings. The tattoos started while in a depression after a tramatic back injury in 88.

Yeah, a tattoo of a milling machine, some swarf curls, a welder, some sparks, a tig torch, cutting torch, color shaded all to heck... NOW.. you are getting different.. Most people who have tattoos thou would not have a clue.. Today, as a retired tattoo artist I can tell you about 75% of my clients at most the time were meth heads, about fifty or more percent of tattoo artists have hepatitus, I don't, I am lucky.. All the time you are tattooing, back spray off the machine is hitting you in the face, a "portal of entry" is your eyes, your nasal passages, any needle stick or open wound. That aersol mist floats around, unless a artist wipes down the whole interior of his shop (never happens) it is a nasty place to stay, or breathe, or sit, or eat, or smoke.

As a artist, I really despise cartoons, thou to pay the light bill I would do them. Doing someone elses art is not art to me.. tracing and applying a pattern used thousands of times before.. Doing the same thing to be different?

Most people are unaware, the true piecing needles are large guage animal hypodermics, cut off and trimmed, they cut a lil cylinder of meat each time they are inserted. A good and aware artist who applies them? he pushes the lil chunk of meat out and autoclaves the needle before next use.. a poor one? he just cleans the needle and lets it go. Seems people got into the habit of piercing the erogonous zones on the human body, not a good plan, you deaden the nerve endings and actually do damage to the body, A used tattoo needle? it has a hook on the end, looking at them with a loupe you can see a ball of meat in the hook.. New needles are not sterile tiil you autoclave them.. that is a fallacy... Someone made that needle, packed the tips with thier finger, flux, solder, lint and thier skin cells exist on that needle. UNTILL YOU KNOW IT IS CLEAN< IT IS NOT.

Really funny to see someone get thier tongue pierced, they slobber like a mad dog.. the tongue can heal a piercing up overnight thou.. one of the fastest healing spots on the human body. I did make stainless rings for a bit, you take a stainless tig rod, roll them into a spring, cut them with a dremel and polish them to a luster, twist them onto a captive bead, you are done.

I have no piercings, I do have over six square feet of tattoo work. I forget it is there. Other people judge me, look at me as a freak, think I am a drug user or low IQ individual. Do you really want to join that club?

One guided tour down memory lane? priceless.. I'm off to bed...

Your Old Dog
03-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Left is right, and right is wrong!

Okay, is that their left or your left as you face them?

And where does that leave you if you get it mixed up and start thinking some light in the loafer type is very manly? Will he follow you around all day like a puppy?

Just to be on the save side, I take all earrings as light in the loafers.

And as for Evan's buddy,
If you notice him before he sees you, the most fun you can have with someone who wants to be noticed is glance right in their eyes as though you don't notice anything unusual about them :D You might even go over and ask them if they have the correct time and while they're computing the response hit them with a quick follow up non-chalant question of "how long you been pi$$ing in your pants?"

Weston Bye
03-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Years ago, whin piercings started showing up in places other than the ears, a machinist in a shop where I contracted controls showed up with ears, eyebrows, lips nipples and God knows where else, perforated. Now HERE was a machinist that was into his work. I suggested that he might want to load his pockets up with swarf and take it home and sprinkle it in his bed.

Alistair Hosie
03-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Y.O.D you can't say that guy is right in the head looks like hes been shot with a 12 gauge in the face.:DAlistair

scott96088
03-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Y.O.D you can't say that guy is right in the head looks like hes been shot with a 12 gauge in the face.:DAlistair

Alistair are you saying he looks like our VP Dick Chaney's friend? :D

FatWheels
03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Y.O.D. it's their left, I could have it wrong though, I'll ask a horse.:D

I think of body modifications in the same terms as suicide, a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Cheers,

Jim

Alistair Hosie
03-21-2007, 02:32 PM
David Coffer you will be hearing from my solicitor I took your advice with regards to the price albert and tried it on myself I did not have at hand a smllish drill so I used a nice new unused sanitised forstner 2 inch bit
BLOODY BIRTH CONTROL COFFER i NOW HAVE A VAGINA.
This is alll your fault I'll never listen to a word you say again squeek squeek Alison

IOWOLF
03-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Scottie,whatcha doin' friday night? ;)

Wayne02
03-21-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm not into tats or piercings, but I do have question. I notice some people have some sort of stud in their nose, looks to be in the meaty part of nose.

How does that thing stay in there? Does it have a backing that needs to be put on up inside the nose, or is it a press fit?

Evan
03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Probably shaped like a butt plug. Ever had a barium lower GI x-ray series? :rolleyes:

mklotz
03-21-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm not into tats or piercings, but I do have question. I notice some people have some sort of stud in their nose, looks to be in the meaty part of nose.

How does that thing stay in there? Does it have a backing that needs to be put on up inside the nose, or is it a press fit?

Although I have a fairly inquiring mind, I must admit that there are certain questions to which I do not wish to know the answer.

Fasttrack
03-21-2007, 04:48 PM
LMAO

You guys are great - i came home bummed out after school today (someone walked off with my calculator...) but some of the responses had me laughing out loud.

Alistair Hosie
03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Its tack welded with a spot welder.

Sorry Wolfie friday night I am booked solid I could SLOT YOU IN for sunday morning for 5 shillings :DAlistar

sometimes its hard to be a womb-an sometimes it hard to be a womb-an

IOWOLF
03-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I hate CENSORSHIP

Dawai
03-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Even thou I got hit three times by my buddy.. I could not resist telling a large woman with a ring in her nose...

WE used to put a ring in a hog's nose cause we didn't want him to root....

She was not amused. She looked like she fell face first into her fishing tackle box..

Alistair Hosie
03-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Dave was that before or after your work was completed???:DAlistair

GKman
03-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Well after only 36 replies and 1148 views, I guess that I can conclude that the answer is left and I can attain my goal of pi**ing off those who are "intolerant of those who differ."*

I'd like to hang a sign on that ear "Out of Order" which it has been since childhood but I think I'll go with a brass ring wound from plans from the current Home Shop Machinist's article on the "Snow" engine. Or maybe I can have both....

*From he American Heratage Dictionary definition of bigot.

Fasttrack
03-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Well after only 36 replies and 1148 views, I guess that I can conclude that the answer is left and I can attain my goal of pi**ing off those who are "intolerant of those who differ."*

I'd like to hang a sign on that ear "Out of Order" which it has been since childhood but I think I'll go with a brass ring wound from plans from the current Home Shop Machinist's article on the "Snow" engine. Or maybe I can have both....

*From he American Heratage Dictionary definition of bigot.

I just have to say that i think the idea of the "out of order" sign is hilliarious.

Mcgyver
03-21-2007, 09:19 PM
why? never understood this piercing thing.

oh just read that post. you want to pi$$ people off. hmmm still begs my same question, why? doesn't seem like a very happy approach to life, wanting to pi$$ people off, i just figure each to there own.

03-21-2007, 09:36 PM
I had my left ear pierced twice after coming home from Nam in 1967,I wore 2 earrings they were skulls.Also rode a Harley and rode with 4 different Biker Gangs.I think almost everyone in that time went a little to the off side when they got home.....:rolleyes:

TGTool
03-22-2007, 12:50 AM

Hmm. Sounds like a little Lockout/Tagout clip might be appropriate. Sort of a "For God's sake don't turn this thing on while I'm inside here" message.

psomero
03-22-2007, 01:46 AM

when the novelty wears off (or someone sticks their finger in the hole and yanks), they cut the droopy bit off and stitch the whole shebang back into something that resembles an earlobe.

i once saw a guy at the local shopping mall who had atleast 2.5" hoops in his ears. it was ridiculous. you could have hung him by the earlobe (or lack thereof) on a doorknob like a do not disturb sign.

Evan
03-22-2007, 03:24 AM
The practice of body modification and decoration is as old as human beings themselves. All cultural groups practice it. In general, from a psychoanalytical point of view it usually represents internal feelings of inadequacy and/or dissatisfaction with ones body image. This may be subconscious or in part conscious and may become explicitly ingrained in the culture. Breast enhancement surgery is an excellent example. Rationalization is nearly universal when queries are made with few actually understanding why the activity was undertaken at the time.

Social pressure plays a large part as usual in many of these activities as may rebellion against such pressure. In general, those that don't engage in such activity are often more confident and well adjusted.

GKman
03-22-2007, 06:23 AM
Evan,
Well said. However extremely boring.

speedy
03-22-2007, 06:42 AM
I can still feel the scar tissue in my lobe. Had it pierced at 16 and my tats at that time thereabouts. I still have my gold sleeper. It has sat in the missus j box since age 20. My few tats are now looking more like old faded tracings. They were poorly considered, ill conceived and done in haste. As a teenager I should have listened to my old man??:rolleyes:

Yep, left is right. Now all you need is an ice cube and needle then go to it.

Your Old Dog
03-22-2007, 07:05 AM
The practice of body modification and decoration is as old as human beings themselves. All cultural groups practice it. In general, from a psychoanalytical point of view it usually represents internal feelings of inadequacy and/or dissatisfaction with ones body image. This may be subconscious or in part conscious and may become explicitly ingrained in the culture. Breast enhancement surgery is an excellent example. Rationalization is nearly universal when queries are made with few actually understanding why the activity was undertaken at the time.

Social pressure plays a large part as usual in many of these activities as may rebellion against such pressure. In general, those that don't engage in such activity are often more confident and well adjusted.

Evan I have to disagree with you. It's just the opposite. Thats why you are hard pressed to find a successful person in the business world without pearcings and tats. The list is endless but all one has to do is look at the knuckles of Trump, Gates, Buffett, Hillary and many others for the words L-O-V-E on one hand and H-A-T-E on the other. When Warren goes to buy another newspaper he flashes them knuckles and his manly left ear bangles and the seller can't help but fall into line.

My tax accountant has tats all over his face. It gives me confidence in him that he will fight for all the refund I'm entitiled to.

Nothing is more reassuring when laying there getting a CAT Scan then to look up and see the nurse standing there with orange hair, a ring in her nose and 12 inch lag bolt thru her temples ! :D

There, I hope that doesn't qualify as your post did Evan and have to bare the description of boring. And unlike you, I wasn't posting something that looked like I was coming to anyones defence with fact.

GKman, want to really be differant today and pi$$ people off? If so, then don't go along with the crowd. Speaking from experiance I can tell you you'll feel much better about yourself when you are older. MUCH BETTER :D :D But, if you do tat and pearce yourself up, don't be surprised if some HSM'er casually comes up to ask you for the correct time and follows it up with another quick question!

old-biker-uk
03-22-2007, 08:35 AM
GKman
You want an ear pierced then go for it !
I’m 65, have tats & earring (left). First time it was done was on a carrier mess deck with needle & cork.
I spent 5 years in the submarine service, have been happily married 40 years, put two kids through University, have two grandchildren, 4 motorbikes, campervan, a sh*t load of machinery & other ‘junk’.
Neither you nor I need any amateur phsycologists to tell us how well (or otherwise) adjusted we are.
The abbreviation DILLIGAF comes to mind.
BTW wore women’s clothes for the village quiz night (went as Miss Scarlett) & wear tights (pantyhose to you over there) on the bike in the winter but that’s about as far as I go with cross dressing.
Mark.

GKman
03-22-2007, 08:56 AM
"don't go along with the crowd. Speaking from experience I can tell you you'll feel much better about yourself when you are older. MUCH BETTER"

Old Dog,
I ALREADY AM OLDER. This thread wouldn't be worth the ones and zeroes it takes to send the period at the end of this sentence if I were 16 or 25. This is about an old fart getting another hole poked in his head. This reminds me of hearing all the crap about "nobody will ever hire you" when I quit shaving on the forth of July 1970. Beard's mostly white now and I found enough of 'em to hire me to be able to retire at 58.:cool: It's been a great ride and it ain't over yet.

Evan
03-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Amateur! I'll have you know I took psych 101 in school! :D

Evan,
Well said. However extremely boring.
It's a matter of balance (the picture).:D

Dawai
03-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Evan is mostly right...

Without any real training... Myself as a long term tattoo artist I can tell you.. Usually the people with large amount of tattoos have had some kinda tramatic injury either emotionally or physically..

They feel out of control with thier own body, A tattoo/piercing is something they can control, well at least they think so. You are at the mercy, skill, and mechanical ability of the person applying said tattoo.

The first tattoo I got, it had a mercury based ink. THE favorite inks I used is plastic pellet or polyester based. Those DYnamic ink brands heal up in a matter of days bright and colorful. That is, if you use good needles that carry the ink into the skin and do not tear it up too bad, a needle has pits on it, the ink gets into the pitts and carries, when a needle is getting to it's age of retirement, they wear sharp and slick and no longer carry ink, the end becomes so sharp it fishhooks and starts jerking blood.. Time to change needles then. Some of the tattoo inks are actually paint pigments of anodized aluminum and titanium.. they wear needles out fast.

(Some of the tattoo inks are actually paint pigments of anodized aluminum and titanium..) Did I mention I can't get through a metal detector naked?

IOWOLF
03-22-2007, 02:18 PM
"(Some of the tattoo inks are actually paint pigments of anodized aluminum and titanium..) Did I mention I can't get through a metal detector naked?"

LOL, now there is a picture I needed.

Evan
03-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Did I mention I can't get through a metal detector naked?

I want to know exactly how you discovered that.

Dawai
03-22-2007, 09:35 PM
<I want to know exactly how you discovered that.>

Flip flops, jogging pants, pull over sweater, no metal.. still I set the damn thing off at the courthouse. I reckon it mirrors like a radar target? I don't know..

At the nuclear plant I worked for a while I learned you can shuffle your feet, and the shanks in your boots will not trigger one of them rascals.

There was one guard, he's molest me everytime he'd frisk me.. I wanted to hit him soo baaddd... (enough said, I am pissed just thinking)

garyphansen
03-22-2007, 10:44 PM
David: A few days ago you told about accidently getting dyed blue at the carpet factory. I just wanted you to know the thought of you as a three hundred pound smuff made my day. I am sure it was not funny in real life though. Are you doing any better with your health problems? Gary P. Hansen

Dawai
03-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Gary, thanks for thinking of me..

I am getting a testosterone every morning. Seriously.. I had cold chills, depression, and hot flashes for over two years. Male menopause, on top of the thyroid failure.

So, the list of daily medicienes to keep me alive is growing.

I am working in my shop daily now thou, started me a new motorcycle.

garyphansen
03-23-2007, 12:50 AM
" I am working in my shop daily" That will make you feel better than all the Meds. I will keep your health in my prayers. Gary P. Hansen

ZINOM
03-23-2007, 12:52 AM
"about fifty or more percent of tattoo artists have hepatitus"

I'm surprised to hear you say that David....sounds like the kind of mis-information that the uninformed like to propagate.

I didn't expect it from you.

John

Dawai
03-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Zinom:

Misinformation?
Several close friends are dead of related diseases. Probably more than 50%.
THE disclaimer form I had everyone fill out, it asked clearly the person getting the tattoo if they had any communicable disease.

Study more. Lots of infected people don't have a clue. Lots more tattoo artists are IV drug users too. THOU I never did, cocaine was a biggie. I get into enough trouble without any more help with just alcohol.

WHEN I first started the trade? People would try out needles-machines on the rough part of thier hands.. Effectively sharing anything they had. The tattoo of course would go away after a while.. THE hand skin sloughs off so rapidly. Autoclaves came along as much as a publicity-stunt to impress local health departments.. NOW the rage is "new needles" but a new needle is not cleaned or autoclaved..

Even more remarkable? the young guys in the trade, think they are safe.. They do not believe in a aersol mist coming off pierced skin as they tattoo.. YOU, are breathing and working in a contaminated atmosphere all the time you are tattooing.. Tattoo for about 12 or more hours, then wipe your face, you'll find ink. They gloves are supposed to protect you, Right? Why do doctors wear masks?

ZINOM
03-23-2007, 11:57 AM
David,

The fact that a lot of your friends died of communicable diseases does not support your statement that I quoted.....it's merely the fact of your particular circle of friends.

I know many people in the industry and the only person I know with Hep (he has A,B, and C) is a local guy who got it from lots of IV drug use.

I am by NO means saying that there are no artists with it, as I am also not saying that there are no postal workers, accountants or machinists with it...I merely see the blanket statement as unsupported by any real facts and that serves to perpetuate a negative stereotype about a trade that I feel very strongly about.....I work very hard to represent this business in a positive manner.

As for your other statement regardinig used needles being dirty and similar to micro meat hooks....dead on....but that applies to USED needles.....as for NEW needles, it may not have been common practice in the time (or geographic location) that you were tattooing, but the needles I, and virtually all professional tattooers use today are both clean, and sterile.....even the needle groups that I make myself with my own hands (flux and all) are then cleaned using chemical and ultrasonic methods, and then autoclave sterilized.

I respect your intelligence, and tattoo experience....and I appreciate your knowledge when it comes to the discussions on this board, I just take exception to some of your views when it comes to the current state of tattoo practice and cross-contamination techniques.

With respect,

John

Dawai
03-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Zinom:

DO you tattoo with glasses on? if so you reduce your risks. THE artist is at the most risk, he is using sterile equipment, gloves to stop cross contamination, and should be wiping his chair down between customers. A culture swab should be done on all operating surfaces of a shop.. It is impressive. As certification of a autoclave to kill a known culture. (Kentucky)

Problem with using sterile equipment? you are using it on NON_sterile people. THEY open up, like squeezing a orange in front of a candle, the human body is under internal pressure, and sprays a mist with each puncture. NOW, if a artist smokes? well now.. he is open for more problems, FOOD in the tattoo area? more problems, Animals in the tattoo area? dander and other problems for the customers with allergies. My buddy that passed away, he had a Mackaw, two pugs, and smoked like a chimney, he also had a wife that shot junk, but she was pretty and half his age.

A large percentage of the clients I tattooed were drug users. If I recognized that fact, I priced them high enough to go away. If you have been in the trade, look at the clarity of people's skin.. it is the window of thier health. Shows right up.

I pray you are safe, enjoy your art as long as your health permits. I have got a aids-hepatitus test for years.. Last one about six months ago. I have never done IV type drugs, Never.. I hope you stay clear of the temptations too.

I ran across some pictures of single needle fingernail tattoos I did about fifteen years ago.. You pull the fingernail, tattoo, then the nail grows back over it. Easiest done on "US" construction workers when we lost a nail by accident... I used a flourescent magnifier and tubes made from small guage animal hypodermics to fit a single needle closely.. Amazing pictures.. I can see if I can find them again. My hands will never be that steady again.. ever.. I am mostly proud of the detail I did, Kinda my heroe was David Mann, the more you look, the more you see.

Your Old Dog
03-23-2007, 06:52 PM
"don't go along with the crowd. Speaking from experience I can tell you you'll feel much better about yourself when you are older. MUCH BETTER"

Old Dog,
I ALREADY AM OLDER. This thread wouldn't be worth the ones and zeroes it takes to send the period at the end of this sentence if I were 16 or 25. This is about an old fart getting another hole poked in his head. This reminds me of hearing all the crap about "nobody will ever hire you" when I quit shaving on the forth of July 1970. Beard's mostly white now and I found enough of 'em to hire me to be able to retire at 58.:cool: It's been a great ride and it ain't over yet.

Sorry Gkman, I didn't realize you were old enough to know better :D

My attitude is shaped from watching what my father went thru. He had both arms tattooed from wrist to shoulder. All the typical tattoes of the WWII period and I've heard him renounce them a hundred times.

As for the beard, I've had one since I came home from Nam to avoid skin rash. My owner of the second job I worked at caught me in the shop with the beard and told me they don't hire people with beards. I said, "Yes sir, I understand, I've only been here a week so I don't mind leaving if you want me to." He just told me to keep it neat and I did. I always combed the vegetable beef soup out of it after lunch. I never felt the need to get anyones attention unless maybe it was a waitress.

Evan
03-23-2007, 08:09 PM
I grew a beard many years ago right after getting out of the army. Too much trouble to shave. I would shave with a razor and in a few hours look like I hadn't shaved. Caught crap all the time in the army. It's a lot easier with a beard anyway. I hate spending time on personal maintenance. Beards are very common here. Prevents frostbite in the winter and keeps out the mosquitoes in summer. More guys here have beards than not.

Weston Bye
03-23-2007, 11:05 PM
I grew a beard many years ago right after getting out of the army. Too much trouble to shave. I would shave with a razor and in a few hours look like I hadn't shaved. Caught crap all the time in the army. It's a lot easier with a beard anyway. I hate spending time on personal maintenance. Beards are very common here. Prevents frostbite in the winter and keeps out the mosquitoes in summer. More guys here have beards than not.

I grew a beard while on a 1971 Med cruise in the Navy. Tradition allows them. Have had it ever since. Biggest drawback was the gas mask won't seal well, but i never needed it. In addition to the benefits enumerated by Evan, I found that for me the beard was somewhat effective in covering up ugly.

garyphansen
03-23-2007, 11:21 PM
"I found that for me the beard was somewhat effective in covering up ugly"

Me too! My brother told me the more of my face I could cover up the better off I would be. Gary P. Hansen

Evan
03-24-2007, 02:18 AM
Biggest drawback was the gas mask won't seal well, but i never needed it.

I ran into a problem with that when I worked for Xerox. I serviced equipment in the pulp mills in the next town and one day a couple of guys died in a chlorine leak. Regulation comes down that all contractors on site have to carry gas masks. I have a big beard and the gas mask doesn't work with it. Pulp mill says I can't come on site unless I shave. I was the only service rep for a 100 miles so this was a problem. Xerox policy was they can't tell you to shave. Panic ensues on all sides as this was a major customer with many machines.

The solution was simple, a bite block respirator. Works like a snorkle mouthpiece and has a nose clip.

Dawai
03-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Evan:

those escape respriarators are affectionately known as "PIG D**ks" in the coal mining and chemical plant industry. While running around in Chlorine, with the respriarator in your mouth, you are blind.. THE gas forms hydrochloric acid everywhere it meets moisture. YOUR eyes have moisture. Useless to breathe if you can't see to escape, then if the concentration level exceeds the filtering capacity of the mask? it leaks through, so you only delay the end.

I found, with a stubble, you take a whole handfull of vaseline, lay a heavy layer around your jaw, then put on the scott airpack. Thou with me being part indian, a stubble is about a weeks growth.

It's amazing I have lived this long. I remember losing triple handfulls of long hair, my blue-black hair turning brown from chlorine exposure (green fog)... If my Daddy had been there, he'd told me to lather up with ivory soap and let it dry.. the alkaline in the soap counteracts the acidty in the gas. (mustard gas)... I miss my daddy. He had a 3rd grade education and still was intelligent or moreso than me, just not educated.

FOR you younger guys? or older guys.. IF you have no jaw teeth, do not ever allow anyone to let/make you put on a cartridge resprirator or scott airpack and enter a poisonous atmosphere.. without the basic backup of the teeth in your jaw you can not achieve a seal. I tried to tell them this at the chemical plant where I worked for a few years and they needed my instrumentation abilities above risking my life and health. I should've sued them a new arsehole when I burned my lungs.

Alistair Hosie
03-24-2007, 11:37 AM
I didnt know you were part Indian Dave is that indian indian or harley indian??Alistair ps or both

Dawai
03-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Yep Alistair, proud of it... 50% Indian, 50% scott, 50% german.... (300lb er)

I found out something interesting.. Playing the bagpipes march-fighting songs makes the "boom boom stereo crowd hi-tail it". (dope dealers on the north side) They say it brings chills to people unaccustomed to it.

THIS turn of talk, brought back memories or running around trying to valve off a chlorine leak.... I had on a scott airpack, ran over to a steel ladder, looked down, started down the ladder high speed, there was a young-unknowing boy who grabbed the rung about six feet up, MY right foot stepped on his hand breaking every finger.. I sure felt bad about that, but you learn in closed-perphieal vision of a airpack to look with your body before getting on a ladder.. He didn't know, but I bet he does now.

That gas, seems evil,, it coils and curls around your feet, heavy, like smoke that won't rise...