PDA

View Full Version : OT: I awoke this morning to find all my "favorites" missing?

Your Old Dog
03-21-2007, 06:12 AM
When I got up this morning I went to the favorite thingy and much to my surprise it was empty? I had hundreds of bookmarked favorites for shop, photography, atv, gardening and celestial navigation. I can't imagine what could have happend to them. (just kidding on the celestial navigation!! LOL)

Everytime one of you guys posted an interesting shop website that was shop related it got saved off in the shop folder. Now everything is gone. Windows seems to have a command for everything, too bad they can't see the value in being able to simply save off your addressbook and favorites folders to a CD for archival purposes.

Is this something I did unknowingly or does it smell like a virus?

I wish there was a way to save off the favorites and the address book that didn't require deep computer skills.

Swarf&Sparks
03-21-2007, 07:10 AM
YOD, you using MSIE or firefox (browser)?

Your Old Dog
03-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Should have mentioned that!

I'm using MSIE

Swarf&Sparks
03-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Sorry mate, can't help you there.
Strongly suggest you try Firefox. It's a simple matter to import/export bookmarks.

LOU'S CUE'S
03-21-2007, 08:10 AM
hey...............same thing happened to me a month ago !!!

aohell & ie

seems like they "came back" within the day........rebooted computer etc.

i DON"T know.........just sorta "fixed" itself

Your Old Dog
03-21-2007, 08:15 AM
hey...............same thing happened to me a month ago !!!

aohell & ie

seems like they "came back" within the day........rebooted computer etc.

i DON"T know.........just sorta "fixed" itself

Sorry for the firedrill :D On the new version of msie they have the history tab in the same area. I had last clicked on history and left it there yesterday. When I awoke this morning I hit favorites and it brought up where I left it, at history. I clear history at everypower down so naturally nothing would show.

I could still use a little help with how to save off my favorites and my addres book to a CD so I have it as backup.

wschoenbeck
03-21-2007, 09:06 AM
YOD,
I'm not sure about XP home (I'm at work right now so I can't check) but in XP Pro this is the path to my favorites

C:\Documents and Settings\bills\Favorites

I think XP Home would be similar. Make a copy of the entire folder. Mine has lots of sub-folders with all my varied interests. Hope this helps.

Evan
03-21-2007, 09:13 AM
File > Import and export

(both programs)

Peter N
03-21-2007, 09:41 AM
I always like to have a shortcut to Windows Explorer on my desktop so that I can look for files myself rather than use the other cumbersome windows route.

To add this shortcut to the desktop, right click with the mouse anywhere in the blank area, the click new, then click shortcut.
A box will open and ask for the location of the item, and then cut and paste the following bold text into there: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /n,/e
Click next, then click finish.

If you now double-click on the new icon it will open up a page with all your file directories listed with the file-tree on the left hand side. From here you can navigate to, open up, and view all the program and data files and directories on the PC.

To find the Favorites folder, double click on Documents and Settings (this should be in the right-hand pane), then double click on the folder named after whatever you have chosen to call your computer (as in 'Bill' in a previous post), then you will see the Favorites folder marked with a star.

Sounds a bit long-winded but actually just takes a couple of seconds to get there.

Peter

Evan
03-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Right click on the start button and select 'Explore'.

Peter N
03-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Right click on the start button and select 'Explore'.
Evans way is much quicker, but my shortcut will open up in a maximised window and in the root directory, rather than a small window and into the programs directory.
Not that this is a competition, as I'm sure that in this case I'd get beaten hands down by Evan in that.

The other advantage is that the shortcut will work with Windows 98, ME, 2000, and XP.

Peter

Evan
03-21-2007, 10:18 AM
No competition. Here is a way to customize My Computer to always open an Explorer view. Note: For geeks only. :D

Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).

Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ CLSID\.

Select Find from the Edit menu, and search for My Computer. If you can't find it, open the key labelled {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}.

Right-click on Shell, select New and then Key. Type Open and press Enter.

Right-click on Open, select New and then Key. Type Command and press Enter.

Click on Command, double-click on (default), type explorer.exe in the box, and press Enter.

Close the Registry Editor.

Click on the desktop, and press F5 to refresh the desktop so that this change will take effect.

mklotz
03-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Evan,

How does one export the Firefox bookmarks to a file? (I'm using XP pro.)

There's an 'import' function in the "File" dropdown menu but I can't seem to find anything for exporting the bookmarks.

mklotz
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Evan,

Never mind. I found it. For the benefit of those who may be reading this, the sequence is:

Bookmarks - Organize Bookmarks - File - Export

The same sequence leads to the 'Import' function for reading the bookmarks back in.

rantbot
03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I've had FireFox lose all my bookmarks three times in the past year. It has a backup file which it loses also. I now routinely save a copy of the bookmark file every couple of days in another directory entirely. Then when it loses bookmarks I just copy it back to the appropriate FireFox directory. I also have to make another copy, rename it from bookmarks.html to bookmarks.bak, and move that to the same directory. Otherwise FireFox overwrites the bookmarks.html file I just copied in with a blank file.

The bookmarks.html file is at

C:/ > Windows > Application Data > Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles > default.irj > bookmarks.html

At least in Win 98, it is.

Most of this trouble was with FireFox version 1. I had version 2, uninstalled it, and now use version 1.5, which is still available at the FireFox download site. Version 1.5 has added more automatic backups of the bookmark.html file. Despite that, I still make manual backups every couple of days.

The Profiles thing causes trouble, too. I have no profiles set - that's supposedly something to let everyone using a particular computer customize their own FireFox. I've never used it. But I had FireFox get into some confusion about profiles, and refuse to load. I uninstalled it and loaded new versions several times, but all had the same problem. Evidently the FireFox uninstall isn't very complete. Finally I made a new identity and then it would load fine. The whole thing was a major pain in the crank, and took several weeks to solve.

Things like this are why I don't jump into the "FireFox is great" chorus. It works, mostly, but has its foibles. I use FireFox, Netscape, Opera, and, on rare occasions, IE. All have peculiarities, and all do at least one thing better than any of the others, so I use the best one for any particular job.

FireFox has some weird things happen when saving some image files, corrupting some types and moving glacially slow on others. The other browsers can download the same files without corrupting anything.

Opera has a neat-o feature - if everything freezes and you have to crash out (welcome to Windows), Opera still remembers all your open tabs after you reboot and reopen it. (Usually.) That way you don't lose whatever you had open. I routinely have at least a dozen tabs open, and that's a lot to remember manually after a reboot.

IE is probably still the champion for downloading individual files (much faster than FireFox or Netscape) or saving entire web pages. In all other respects it's worse than useless. I haven't used the latest versions and probably won't.

Netscape is the fussiest about rendering pages, so I use it for testing my own web pages - it they display properly in Netscape they'll display fine in the others. (Image rendering, though, is not very robust.) The others are more tolerant of coding errors, so sometimes mask my html typos. That's not so important since I started using CSE as an html editor, which catches more errors than Netscape does. I actually prefer the free version of CSE to the fancier pay version, and recommend it to anyone who writes html.

http://www.htmlvalidator.com/lite/

Evan
03-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Opera has a neat-o feature - if everything freezes and you have to crash out (welcome to Windows), Opera still remembers all your open tabs after you reboot and reopen it.

Firefox does that too, at least version 2 does. I have never had a problem with Firefox losing anything going back when it was called Phoenix. However, I don't use it under Win 98 which is now approaching 120 years old.

Your Old Dog
03-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks everyone, that was helpfull and I now got the favorites backed up on CD. Now to work on the address book and I'm all set.

LOU'S CUE'S
03-22-2007, 07:18 AM
it never ceases to amaze me how much time i spend learning to use time saving devices.

rantbot
03-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Firefox does that too, at least version 2 does. I have never had a problem with Firefox losing anything going back when it was called Phoenix. However, I don't use it under Win 98 which is now approaching 120 years old.

Well, good for you. If I could use your bookmarks, I'd be all set.

I realized it wasn't just me soon after it happened the first time. Various 'net boards were all a-buzz with it, and the solutions were all kluges. Well, shoot - I can make up my own kluges. And mine work, but they're still kluges. The official fix seems to be a kluge, too. Version 1.5 has multiple backups of the bookmark file, rather than just one, but I'm starting to understand FireFox well enough by this time to suspect that all those will be wiped clean when it loses the real file, just as the sole backup in version 1 was wiped. So I'll keep using my own kluge, which at least works no matter how hard FireFox may try to defeat it.

When FireFox decided to stop opening (all on its own, too - it didn't need any help from me. I like independent software. I can take a nap and let it screw things up on its own) I looked at the boards again. The buzz at that time was that everyone was uninstalling version 2 and reverting to 1.5. I don't know what the problem with 2 was because it wouldn't open and I don't remember what the board posters were complaining about. But I uninstalled it and, after a little poking around, found 1.5 still available on the download site. So my machine had version 1.5 when I finally got the damn thing to open properly. I haven't felt motiviated to "upgrade" again. And I'm not scrapping Win 98 just for FireFox's convenience. Next some crazy kid will be telling me to scrap my fifty year old mill and my sixty year old lathe.

kendall
03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I normally write bat files to handle most routine procedures, seems like it would be fairly simple to write one up to copy the needed files to another directory, along with another to copy them back to the right directory.

maybe if you replace the shortcut for IE or firefoxe with the bat file,and have the last line on the batfile load the browser, it would be pretty much fully automated, saving the bookmarks as they are when opening your browser.

Ken.