PDA

View Full Version : Trustee from the Toolroom

aostling
03-21-2007, 10:16 AM
It's been a long time since I read Nevil Shute's wonderful novel http://www.amazon.com/Trustee-Toolroom-Nevil-Shute/dp/B0000CKJAI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-8919966-6000634?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174486125&sr=1-2 .
Is that a Myford lathe on the dust jacket?

Where is the author's final resting place, Australia, or England? Did anybody know him?

Malc-Y
03-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Biography
Extract from the Dictionary of National Biography 1951 - 1960

NORWAY, NEVIL SHUTE (1899-1960), novelist under the name NEVIL SHUTE and aeronautical engineer, was born in Ealing on 17th January 1899, the younger son of a Cornishman, Arthur Hamilton Norway, who became an assistant secretary of the General Post Office, and his wife Mary Louisa Gadsden.

At the age of 11, Norway played truant from his first preparatory school in Hammersmith, spending days among the model aircraft at the Science Museum examining wing control on the Bleriot and trying to puzzle out how the engine of the Antoinette ran without a carburettor.
On being detected in these precocious studies, he was sent to the Dragon School, Oxford, and thence to Shrewsbury. He was on holiday in Dublin, where his father was then Secretary to the Post Office in Ireland, at the time of the Easter rising of 1916 and acted as a stretcher-bearer, winning a commendation for gallant conduct.

He passed into the Royal Military Academy with the aim of being commissioned into the Royal Flying Corps, but a bad stammer led to his being failed at his final medical examination and returned to civil life. The last few months of the war (in which his brother had been killed) were spent on home service as a private in the Suffolk Regiment.

In 1919 Norway went up to Balliol College, Oxford, where he took a third class honours in engineering science in 1922 and rowed in the college second eight. During the vacations he worked, unpaid, for the Aircraft Manufacturing Company at Hendon, then for (Sir) Geoffrey de Havilland's own firm, which he joined as an employee on coming down from Oxford. He now fulfilled his thwarted wartime ambition of learning to fly and gained experience as a test observer. During the evenings he diligently wrote novels and short stories unperturbed by rejection slips from publishers.

In 1924 Norway took the post of Chief Calculator to the Airship Guarantee Company, a subsidiary of Vickers Ltd, to work on the construction of the R100. In 1929 he became Deputy Chief Engineer under (Sir) Barnes Wallis, and in the following year he flew to and from Canada in the R100. He had a passionate belief in the future of airships, but his hopes foundered in the crash of its government rival, the R101, wrecked with the loss of Lord Thompson, the then Minister of Aviation, and most of those on board. He had watched with mounting horror what he regarded as the criminal inefficiency with which the R101 was being constructed. His experience in this phase of his career left a lasting bitterness; it bred in him almost pathological distrust of politicians and civil servants.

Recognizing that airship development was a lost cause, he founded in 1931 Airspeed Ltd, aeroplane constructors, in an old garage, and remained joint managing director unti11938. The pioneering atmosphere of aircraft construction in those days suited his temperament. He revelled in individual enterprise and doing things on a financial shoestring. When the business grew and was becoming on of humdrum routine, producing aircraft to government orders, he decided to get out of the rut and live by writing. He had by 1938 enjoyed some success as a novelist and had sold the film rights of Lonely Road (1932) and Ruined City (1938).

On the outbreak of war in 1939, Norway joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve as a Sub-Lieutenant in the Miscellaneous Weapons Department. Rising to Lieutenant Commander, he found experimenting with secret weapons a job after his own heart. But he found that his growing celebrity as a writer caused him to be in the Normandy landings on 6th June 1944, for the Ministry of Information, and to be sent to Burma as a correspondent in 1945. He entered Rangoon with the 15th Corps from Arakan.

Soon after demobilisation in 1945 he emigrated to Australia and made his home in Langwarrin, Victoria. High taxation and what he felt to be the decadence of Britain, with the spirit of personal independence and freedom dying, led him to leave the Old Country.

His output of novels, which began with Marazan (1926) continued to the end. Writing under his Christian names, Nevil Shute, he had an unaffected popular touch which made him a best-seller throughout the Commonwealth and the United States. The secret of his success lay in the skill with which he combined loving familiarity with technicalities and a straightforward sense of human relationships and values. He conveyed to the readers his own zest for making and flying aircraft. The hazards and rewards of back-room boys have never been more sympathetically portrayed nor with closer inside knowledge. His natural gift for creating briskly moving plots did not extend to the delineation of character in anything more than conventional terms. He retained to the last the outlook of a decent, average public-school boy of his generation. Although he lived into the James Bond era, he never made the slightest concessions to the fast growing appetite in the mass fiction market for sadism and violence.

No Highway (1948), dealing with the drama of structural fatigue in aircraft, set in terms of those responsible for a competitive passenger service, gave full scope to both sides of his talent. Machines and men and women share in shaping the drama. A Town Like Alice (1950), describing the grim Odyssey of white women and children in Japanese-occupied Malaya, captured the cinema audiences as completely as it did the reading public. Round the Bend (1951) was thought by Norway himself to be his most enduring book. It told of the aircraft engineer of mixed eastern and western stock who taught his men to worship God through work conscientiously and prayerfully performed and came to be regarded as divine by peoples of many creeds. On the Beach (1957) expressed Norway's sensitive appreciation of the frightful possibilities of global warfare and annihilation by radio-active dust.

Other novels, several of them filmed, were What Happened to the Corbetts (1939) An Old Captivity (1940), Landfall (1940) Pied Piper (1942) Pastoral (1944) In the Wet (1953) and Requiem for a Wren (1955). In Slide Rule (1954) sub-titled "The Autobiography of an Engineer", he told, candidly and racily, of his life up to 1938 when he left the aircraft industry.

The stammer, which was as much a stimulus as a handicap, did not prevent Norway from being good company, always welcome at social gatherings of his many friends. An enthusiastic yachtsman and fisherman as well as an air pilot, he delighted in outdoor life, and his gaiety was not dimmed by the heart attacks from which he suffered.

In 1931 Norway married Francis Mary Heaton, by whom he had two daughters. He died in Melbourne on 12th January 1960.

Contribution by A P Ryan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nevil Shute Norway Foundation
©2002-2007

Hope this is of help.

Malc.

Lew Hartswick
03-21-2007, 12:02 PM
All of which reminds me, I've got to go back and re-read quite a few of those.
Some I have already re-read several times. Besides the Trustee I think it was
In the Wet or Beyond the Black Stump that realy took my fancy. Guess I'll
have to go to the library and put them on reserve.
Thanks for the Bio.
...lew...

Alan Smith
03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Two of my three all time heroes mentioned above, Nevil Shute and Sir Barnes Wallace. My third was a man of similar metal, Colin Chapman.

Rex
03-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Two of my three all time heroes mentioned above, Nevil Shute and Sir Barnes Wallace. My third was a man of similar metal, Colin Chapman.

metal, or mettle?
Works either way :)

I just Read trustee a few weeks ago, great book, whetted my appetite for more.
I read On the Beach as a kid when I was into the apocalytic thing. I think (hope) I still have a copy. It even including auto racing! The movie was worth watching also.

I may have to go shopping

Forrest Addy
03-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I have all Neveil Shute's books except for one published once. Most are paperback bought in the early '80's and have become so tattered from age and re-reading, they're almost individual pages.

StephenK
03-21-2007, 02:44 PM
I recently read Nevil Shute's Trustee from the Toolroom and really enjoyed it. A book that was difficult to put down.

It was mentioned to me by my brother-in-law probably over a year ago. He told me that if I ever had the chance to read it.

My Wife and I were donating books for a fundraiser and I went up to our storage area and opened a box that had at least fifty books in it. These were given to me by a friend and all I did was to stash them away. All hard cover books. Right on the top of the stack was Trustee from the Toolroom.

It was a joy to read.

Your Old Dog
03-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Ebay has about 10 of Nevil Shute's Trustee from the Toolroom listed and now one of them is mine !! One copy was priced at $52.00. Maybe I should have got that one as it likely came with a machinist tool chest!

Asquith
06-25-2007, 04:32 AM
Allan,

Re the lathe on the dust jacket: I can't tell what it is, but Neville Shute owned a Myford Super 7. There are some model engineering articles on the website link below, including one with a blurred photo showing his Adept hand shaper adapted to be driven by the lathe:-

http://www.nevilshute.org/index.php

I would highly recommend Shute's autobiography 'Slide Rule'. His tales of working on the airship R100 are particularly interesting. One thing that sticks in my mind is the fact that during test flights the crew used to go and sunbathe on top of the airship!

dicks42000
06-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Wow, thanks for posting his biography. Having read some of his books first in highschool, (On the Beach....) and later as an adult, I can appreciate his love for writing, technical work, freedom & individual enterprise, mistrust of big government etc. (Traits that many on here have ???)
I still wonder why so few engineers/ technical people become good popular writers. Shute was one of the few. To further extend that, why don't more "science writers/ reporters" have science degrees....?
Modern properity is/ was based on industry & technology. Isn't it important for the general public to at least understand the basics to make informed decisions ? Maybe not any more, maybe nobody's interested. maybe we should just stay home & contract out the work....
"Hey Mr. Government man, save me....."
Rick

aostling
06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Allan,

I would highly recommend Shute's autobiography 'Slide Rule'. His tales of working on the airship R100 are particularly interesting. One thing that sticks in my mind is the fact that during test flights the crew used to go and sunbathe on top of the airship!

I retired three months ago. The last six years of my career were spent as a thermal engineer at Orbital Sciences, Inc., a company which assembles and launches rockets.

My first job as a rocket engineer was on the Saturn V, the first stage of the Apollo moon rockets. This was in 1963 and all our calculations were by slide rule. I've always kept this K&E rule in my desk drawer. About a year ago I showed it to a young engineer at Orbital. He confessed that though he'd heard of a slide rule, he'd never actually seen one!

I then knew it was time to retire.

Charles Ping
06-25-2007, 11:57 AM
My first job as a rocket engineer.........

What a great line to drop into conversation.
I'm in awe!

Charles

Peter S
06-26-2007, 03:35 AM
I got a couple of books recently about Barnes Wallis - "Barnes Wallis: Dambuster" by Peter Pugh is a smallish book published in 2005, and "Barnes Wallis" by J.E. Morpurgo, a more in-depth book, published in 1971 and kindly given to me by Asquith! Info in both books about Neville Shute.

Brooklands in the UK (where Barnes Wallis worked) is a good place to visit for many reasons, but in particular they have several items of interest connected with Barnes Wallis, e.g. various bombs and also a Wellington bomber. This aircraft was rescued in recent years from a loch in Scotland, part of the skin is removed so you can see the geodetic construction.

BTW, I believe there is a new film being made about the "Dambusters".

John Stevenson
06-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Best grab a copy of this before the site disappears.

If there is a delay try later, having a few server ans ISP issues.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/Trustee%20from%20the%20Toolroom%20v1.1.txt

Norman Atkinson
06-26-2007, 06:58 AM
A bit more, folks!

Neville Shute was also a Model Engineer and there is a proper obituary such as we would add about him making a model steam engine whilst iin Australia.
My memory is not what it was. Perhaps someone will find the rest!

Again, our hero, the Trustee is modelled( not intended) on a real person- or so we think.

For many years, the name Edgar Westbury appeared as a contributor, assistant and finally editor of Model Engineer magazine. There is no doubt that the two seemed to have a close association and Westbury will be known to many of you, especially the UK modellers. If the name Ned, Artificer, Exactus appear amongst many others, we suspect that these belong to Ned or the Trustee. Again, Westbury is a legend in his own time and a raft of stationary engines were designed by him and I believe are about or do appear in the HemingwayKits catalogue. They were part of Woking Models.
In addition, Westbury is well known as the original designer of the Westbury miller. It later became simplified for home construction. The knock on comes with Professor Dennis Chaddock who made the Dore Westbury- and made
the Quorn Tool and Cutter Grinder to make the cutters for his aeroengine.
So the circle is complete. We have Shute building an airship and Chaddock an aeroengine.

It isn't quite finished because our own John Stevenson built a Dore Westbury Mill- and I built both a Quorn and an original Westbury.

Timleech
06-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Chapman's death seemed a bit strange at the time, I can't remember the details but it was IIRC overseas in the middle of some financial scandal, I couldn't help wondering whether it was 'conveniently arranged' one way or another, either by himself or someone he had upset.

That's reminded me that a friend of mine worked for Lotus and Lotus Engineering for a few years, he was issued with various Lotus cars to drive around as his everyday vehicle, partly as a perk & partly as a good way to find what could go wrong.
He took me on a (illicit) tour of the Engineering works while they were doing development work for DeLorean, lots of bits of kit set up to do exciting ;) things like testing door hinges to destruction.

Tim

flywheeler5
06-27-2007, 07:48 AM
I very much enjoyed the Trustee from the Toolroom and experienced quite a coincidence whilst reading it .I was visiting a friend and met his next door neighbour , we got talking and I mentioned that I was reading "The Trustee from the toolroom" . He then told me that his father and Neville Shute were very good friends and he remembered model engineering talks that they had .
I live only five minutes drive from Langwarrin , where Neville Shute once lived in Australia .

Your Old Dog
06-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I just got in last night from 11 day trip to California and started reading Trustee on the plane. Looks like a good book! I may have to search out some more of his work. I don't follow complicated works well but have had no trouble with style.

Nick Carter
06-27-2007, 04:00 PM
I read "The secret war, 1939-45", by Gerald Pawle, last month. A foreward by Shute and a lot of anecdotes about the seat of the pants engineering they did during the war. Contraptions galore! Well worth reading after reading Shute's "Most Secret".

Nick

Norman Atkinson
06-27-2007, 04:59 PM
There is a mistake somewhere. What was 'Norway' trying to hide?
I thought that I knew his story and then I started to examine the A.P.Ryan account.

There was no such thing as Aircraft Manufacturing Company at Hendon aerodrome. There was the Grahame White Company- and the name was still on one of the inside of the hangars in 1948-9. The de Havilland Aircraft Company was not at Hendon but in Stags Lane, Edgeware and it then moved to Hatfield in Hertfordshire. I was offered a job there in 1946 and I used to fly in- from RAF Hendon- making the Air Cadets sick in 1949.

Part of Aeroville which was privately built houses for 'works staff' went in as Airmen's Married Quarters but printed code books! Yea, they finally released- part of the truth only in the past few months.

No, I do not know all the story but I was - well, I have said it before!

Asquith
06-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I would fully endorse Nick's recommendation of 'The Secret War 1939-45'. Fascinating account of the work of the Directorate of Miscellaneous Weapons Development, aka Wheezers and Dodgers. Some of the inventions were brilliantly successful, others, like the Great Panjandrum, somewhat less so. I don’t know what the effect would have been on the enemy, but it certainly terrified dogs and a cine cameraman. A few snaps of it here:-

http://johnfowles.org.uk/nevilshute/thesecretwar/

An extract from the Gerald Pawle book:-

http://www.brinsmead.net/ACBrinsmead.htm

aostling
06-27-2007, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=aviemoron] I was offered a job there in 1946 and I used to fly in- from RAF Hendon- making the Air Cadets sick in 1949.
/QUOTE]

I'm convinced, you have to be the most senior of our senior members. You were offered a job when I was in kindergarten, and I ain't no spring chicken.

Norman Atkinson
06-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Allan,
I am 77 ( going on 100) and probably the grumpiest member here.
On the other hand, I am perhaps, the most positive! One must be positive to survive so long.

Back to Norway as he is your topic- and why not? I do wish that you could have seen the film of the Great Panjandrum. Don't ask me when I first saw it but this bloody big Catherine Wheel was charging all over like a lunatic thing with everyone- and no one was the enemy taking cover- except on a beach there isn't any. Can someone out there, get the film clip!

What you must recall is that War is so serious that any opportunity must be taken for a laugh. The Wartime broadcast was this miserable git who quoted
'It is being so cheerful that keeps me going'. Humour- and forgive me- was another secret establishment. The Brits were secretly watching the Germans building a decoy airfield- it was taught at RAF Hendon as well- but this was complete with dummy planes, huts, tanks, the lot. Everything was made out of wood and canvas. The Brits kept a close eye on this until it was all finished- and decided to mount an air raid on it. So we dropped a wooden bomb!

One day, Allan, I hope that you will make RAF Hendon and its Museum. It is great experience. Perhaps, you will note in the Dirty Dozen, the guardroom is actually RAF Hendon's- and the planes beyond- are painted dummies.

Cheers

Norm

Peter S
06-28-2007, 03:29 AM
The BBC did a TV series "The Secret War" back in 1977. I have volume 2 of the three volumes, it includes two episodes, one being about the V weapons, the other features strange things like the Giant Panjandrum.
May still be available, I bought this maybe seven years ago.

edit: just re-watched episode 4 "If", an excellent programme. The great thing about being made in the 1970's was they were able to interview people like Hanna Reitsch (talking about test flying Gigant gliders and Komet jet), Adolf Galland and Albert Speer, Frank Whittle, Stanley Hooker etc. Includes footage of the Giant Panjandrum in action, a truly crazy idea! Hanna Reitsch is especially interesting - explaining what it was like being the test pilot of one of these huge primitive gliders when two of the three towing aircraft failed on take off and her take off rockets were already firing and couldn't be stopped....

(By coincidence, I have just been reading the autobiography of Max Bentele, he was actually present in 1938 when Hanna Reitsch flew a helicopter indoors in the "Deutschlandhalle" - taking off, hovering, flying in circles over the audience, landing - a famous event that no one else has been bold enough to replicate as far as the author knows).

lynnl
06-28-2007, 11:38 AM

....dummy planes, huts, tanks, the lot. Everything was made out of wood and canvas. The Brits kept a close eye on this until it was all finished- and decided to mount an air raid on it. So we dropped a wooden bomb!

Cheers

Norm

:D:D That's funny!! :D:D
Don't know if I believe it, but it does make a good story. Thanks Norman!

Swarf&Sparks
06-28-2007, 11:44 AM
"So we dropped a wooden bomb!"
The way I heard the story, it was even dropped by a wooden aircraft.
(thank you , DeHavilland)

Asquith
06-28-2007, 01:00 PM
It was a Mosquito that featured in the story (whether fact or fiction!).

The Mosquito used quite a bit of metal in its construction - including 50,000 brass wood screws!

‘One of the most fitting tributes to the Mosquito comes from the commander-in-chief of the Luftwaffe during the Second World War, Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring, whose public address to a rally in Berlin in January 1943 was rudely shattered by a low-level attack by 105 Squadron Mosquitoes. "It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito, I turn green and yellow with envy! The British, who can afford aluminum better that we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building…"

Source:-
http://museum.eaa.org/collection/aircraft/de%20Havilland%20DH%2098%20Mosquito.asp#TopOfPage

Going back to ‘secret war’ books, I’d recommend ‘Most Secret War’ by Prof R V Jones (I think it was entitled ‘Wizard War’ in the US). A very detailed, fairly technical, insider’s view of scientific intelligence. An interesting aspect is Jones’ efforts to second guess what the Germans were doing, under circumstances where a wrong guess would be disastrous.

J Tiers
06-28-2007, 11:27 PM
The Germans, not to be out-done, built a jet fighter of wood. It had a number of problems, however, and never went into full planned production.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/Heinkel-Salamander/info/info.htm

Norman Atkinson
06-29-2007, 02:34 AM
I was trying to get a suitable reply to 'Old Tiffie' Good on yer mate, I hope that you will enjoy yer mates, yer reading and a bit of machining.

I got a note from 'a shadow' about the courage of his friends and himself.
I was busy, my wife was trying to make a few coins to replace a wooden floor in a tiiny Bethel.The storm came again, I was too tired to reply.

By the time that I was into uniform- proper- the Mossie had done its thing- magniciently in all sorts of guises. Geoffrey de Havilland Jnr who had test piloted the things was lying dead in what remained of the DH108 still with his spotted green scarf around his neck. He had hit compressability or something around Mach Point 86! An end of a glorius era and another brilliant pilot.

John Cunningham was to bring the little Vampire jet in- and the preWar tarmac melted. He might have brought the world of jet airliners in with DH's Comet but you can't melt our hallowed bit of runway! Not on- old boy! Not on!

I could go- there was Meteor 8's and that 'fighter' or so you lot called it- Canberra. Interesting to think that I saw the first one and our squadron has just finished using the last. No one will say what the venerable old girl did- but she must have taken some pretty pictures in some odd places!

Just a passing thought- didn't the Salamander have a 'spare' engine- underneath? And didn't the V1 have- a lady pilot?

Teasing? Not really. I was worried about pickaback ones on He111's.

Norm

Norman Atkinson
06-29-2007, 03:53 AM
Old Tiffie,

Maybe the news hasn't reached the good folks of Oz but at midnight our time(GMT) I was writing with some heat about 'detonators'.
It is now 0745GMT and the news has broken that at 0200GMT a vehicle was found in Central London with 'detonators' or something.

Something about old men dreaming dreams or having visions?
Time, me old cobber, to perhaps to cease suffering fools gladly.
You and Ken, keep the Upside down bit of the World free from these 'tripper cocks' I have had enough of these little men!

Norm

bob ward
06-29-2007, 07:16 AM
The Neville Shute web site is at http://www.nevilshute.org/

oldtiffie
06-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Deleted/edited-out

Norman Atkinson
06-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Nice one-Old Tiffie- you tell them! Another Trustee from another Toolroom.
Moreover, your story checks out with my records. You are a tad younger but I am not jealous- yea, I am!

You tell 'em what life is all about. No books written by creeps, eh?

Norm

J Tiers
06-29-2007, 10:07 AM
the other was the "Sea Fury" which was the marine version of the "Mustang" (or was it the "Hurricane" I can't remember - not sure), both of which as you say served in Korea.

Hawker Sea Fury wouldn't have been a variant of either as it has a large radial engine. Had at one time the speed record for propeller driven aircraft, IIRC.

it did replace the "Seafire" naval Spitfire version, which was not a successful aircraft for carrier use, so there is a connection there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Sea_Fury

franco
06-29-2007, 08:40 PM
tiffie,

Fairey built the Gannets. I remember this because I owned another very different aircraft built by Fairey at one stage - a Tipsy Nipper - one seat, 45 HP and 660 pounds all up weight. Also saw the remains of a Gannet at Bankstown airfield which had been convincingly written off in the late fifties or early sixties if I remember correctly - not a pretty sight.

franco

oldtiffie
06-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Deleted/edited-out

oldtiffie
06-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Deleted/edited-out

TECHSHOP
06-30-2007, 01:39 AM
A while back, I asked a question here, and never did get a "proper" answer, but now I think the answer is:

I say no more.

Norman Atkinson
06-30-2007, 02:37 AM
In another of my World's, I am going to see a bloke who had Faireys.
This time, Fairey made sailing dinghies and the bloke has a couple. well, in keeping- he is an engineer and a model one- and he has a workshop in the house with flock wallpaper. There is hope for all mankind- but I ask you?

So here is a question. I am corresponding with a certain gentleman about my time in the RAF and a crash was involved. We had our share-Old Tiffie- and it still hurts!
We mentioned RAF Hendon. In the 1930's there were Air Pageants or Displays attracting thousands of visitors. I was too poor and too young to go to such a thing but I recall a photograph of a flight of Hawker Hinds or Harts- or one of the variants. Techshop, it was probably 1937 and that would make it 70 years ago and I was 7! The photograph was called 'the Bombing of Port Hendon' and a hangar had been hit with bombs. Of course, it was a set up.
Now, I haven't gone off track because the hangar was-- the Grahame White Company hangar. Does anyone have this photo or perhaps the cine film?
Please don't suggest the RAF Museum- I know probably more than they do.

Going off at a very different tangent- does anyone have photos of the Joint British Scandinavian Expedition to Antarctica in 1949? The clue is Austers with skis or floats.

I will not be on line for perhaps a month so perhaps my E-Mail add would help

It's norman@n-atkinson.wanadoo.co.uk

My thanks

Norm

Norman Atkinson
06-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Franco,

Am I going nuts?

Does the registration OH-TIP or OH-TIT mean anything?
It is going through my brain

Norm

oldtiffie
06-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Deleted/edited-out

Norman Atkinson
06-30-2007, 05:24 AM
Much obliged, old son but this is weird.
This was 1937-ish and it was an Air Display photo.
Again, it was old HMS Manchester out at sea going her big gun practice out of the mouth of the River Tyne. She figured in the sinking of the Bismark.
The Stringbags mistook her and happily, the wrong triggers were fitted to the tinfish. I've got it right. Done the classic association of ideas in Pelmanism thing!

But here comes the weird bit. I saw the whole scenario again. The date was 21st April 1949- and I stood and watched the almost same oily flames, at the same hangar, at the Grahame White hangar which was A Flight's RAF 31 Squadron. OK, Tiffie old lad, it isn't BS. You see, I was the second Norman of RAF 31 Squadron- the first one died in India and I took his name. I am a member of the squadron- and always will be. The pilot, my Co at my training camp prior to Hendon and the dead pilot and my Cousin- all went to school together. This was what pi$$ed me off with this Churchill thing. Doug, my cousin was Churchill's-- well he was at Yalta. He was then- my days at Hendon, a Wing Commander RAF and a Major in the Royal Corps of Signals.
I was somewhere in 'nepotism' or something worse.

In the background, I have been writing to -- someone. I helped kit out an Antarctic RAF expedition. It was supposed to be a new thing. Then recently it was found- or so it seems- to Nazis in Antarctica- and a Murder of 'Icemen'.
It was supposed to be with a Norwegian. t that time the numbers of Norwegians capabable of something like this could be numbered on one finger.
I trained with him after my time with the RAF.

Stone cold sober- and I wish that I wasn't

Norm

oldtiffie
06-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Deleted/edited-out

franco
06-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Franco,

Am I going nuts?

Does the registration OH-TIP or OH-TIT mean anything?
It is going through my brain

Norm

Norm,

Probably not Nippers. A quick look through the Nipper bible doesn't show either of those registrations, but it was printed in 1996. A lot of the 130 odd aircraft have had several registrations, often in different countries, so it is possible that the registrations you quote may have been allotted after the book was printed.

Most of the original Fairey built ones were initially registered with OO (Belgium) or OY (Denmark) prefixes and three letter suffixes. No OH prefixes appear in the list in the book. Most of the later English built ones had an initial G registration with a four letter suffix. The suffixes TIP and TIT don't appear anywhere in the list either, so, sorry, I can't help you.

Regards,

franco.

Norman Atkinson
06-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Franco,
Got them-finally

OO-TIP was/is a Tipsy S2
OO-TIT was/is a Fairey Junior

I once made a rude remark about Pelmanism.
Now feel better- I thought that I was having a funny one

My thanks- phew- wipes sweat from worried brow!

Norm

TECHSHOP
06-30-2007, 11:46 PM
My post wasn't a sly swipe at wandering threads, OT threads, or even the occasional drunken thread. Sometimes an (the?) answer to a long ago question is found in the unexpected place.

Norman Atkinson
07-01-2007, 04:21 AM
Wandering, drunken threads etc etc????

Despite all other thoughts, I have actually written part of the history of Hendon, RAF Hendon and my own RAF 31 Squadron. There is more to write, believe me. This thread is building up a picture by filling in some of the 'dots' which exist. Part of the story is still under wraps of secrecy and i can assure readers that it was only in the past few months that some bits were released.

History- and I hope that my contribution is relevant- is for the the future generations to know and I hope- enjoy. History is actually a precis and it does get boring if the spicy bits are missed out!

Thank you for your help and tolerance

Norm

oldtiffie
07-01-2007, 04:48 AM
Deleted/edited-out