PDA

View Full Version : OT: electronics parts

Elninio
03-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Are there any stores in canada ontario that sell laser diodes? i usually go to SAYAL but they dont seem to have any.

Evan
03-22-2007, 01:15 AM
What do you have in mind? Laser pointers are cheap.

Swarf&Sparks
03-22-2007, 01:26 AM
For the size/weight of electronic components, why worry about shopping locally?
Postage is next to nothing.
I'm in Western Australia, but regularly deal with this outfit on the other side of the continent.
http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/
They stock cheap SS lasers.
(usual disclaimer)
Postage to Canada will probably be no more than postage to WA.

Evan
03-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Postage to Canada will probably be no more than postage to WA.

Unfortunately probably not the case. It must clear customs here which is a five dollar fee on top of about $8.50 AD for up to 250 gram packet by air (Australian rates). It's slightly cheaper by slow sea slug but not much.

If you want it fast the Australian rate for express post is $51 for the same small packet.:eek:

Swarf&Sparks
03-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Ouch!
Oz customs/taxation don't bother about incoming penny packages, the likes of which we speak :)

Mcgyver
03-22-2007, 08:37 AM
have you tried Sayal, Electrosonic & Active components (the usual suspects with stores/counters? Next who makes them, look on the web site and they'll usually link to cdn distributors. call them see who sells/stocks it and has a cash counter.

finally, Digikey is a great resource for Canuks. big stock list, arrives next day, billing in loonies and they clear it so there's no duty.

rotate
03-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I get my laser diodes from a local dollar store. They are sold as laser pointer.

Elninio
03-22-2007, 03:48 PM
i need a 200-500mW laser diode for a small laser engraver.

Optics Curmudgeon
03-22-2007, 04:01 PM
You won't be finding that at an electronics store. Search under laser diodes on the web, but you'll need to have more of an idea what you need. Wavelength, etc.

Joe

jesse557
03-22-2007, 04:08 PM
We've purchased from these guys http://www.roithner-laser.com. They are based in Austria, they speak English and do respond to emails. We've also purchased from Power Technologies. I think they are based in New Jersey. They also speak Englsih. Good luck.
Jesse

Evan
03-22-2007, 05:23 PM
They won't sell those to just anyone, at least not in Canada. You need to be absolutely certain of what you are doing and what proper safety precautions to take. That is a class IIIB laser and can cause immediate and permanent eye damage even from reflected or stray light.

jesse557
03-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Amen to that. Always, always, always wear the proper safety glasses with the proper optical density (OD). If you are using high power lasers solid state, HeNe, whatever. I have seen one person damage their eye badly, just to check the alignment for second. Get the proper laser safety glasses when working with lasers. We use Kentek, but there are others that are good too.

nheng
03-22-2007, 09:38 PM
You may want to search the web for excerpts from FDA and IEC documents regarding laser safety. This power of laser needs an interlock, an aperture stop, warnings, etc. etc. Even for home use it's a good idea to check out what industry requires. Add the goggles, etc. on top of that.

Finally, the optics you chose need to have a damage threshold which will tolerate this power level. Try Newport since they list damage threshold for many optical elements. Edmund gives some but not much.

The laser diode will need adequate heat sinking and back facet monitor circuit to control (stabilize) the output power in a closed loop.

Lastly, once you collimate this thing for cutting or engraving, watch out !

Den

Evan
03-22-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't think it a good idea to self teach in this area. I have experience with class III lasers in a commercial setting and with professional training. There are too many ways to screw up if you are trying to figure this out by yourself. One mistake is all it takes and you are instantly disabled for the rest of your life. Infrared lasers are especially dangerous as you cannot see the emissions.

Swarf&Sparks
03-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Oatley stock 200 mW modules
http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=579&osCsid=614602f2057d15cc8e9953325db5497d

Elninio
03-24-2007, 12:20 AM
350-500nm wavelenght. the plan is to underpower a larger diode to mW minimum, with a 3 mm radius , and then shrink the radius with lenses to .25 mm

Elninio
03-24-2007, 12:22 AM
http://www.felesmagus.com/pages/lasers-howto.html

"how to make a laser pen/pointer that can cut electrical tape out of a dvd drive (using the diode in from a dvd drive) " for anyone whos interested.

Evan
03-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Scary stuff. One chance specular reflection into your eye and zap. To give you some idea how powerful a 200 milliwatt beam with a 3 mm radius is, it's about equal to 20 times the power of the sun over the same area and coherent to boot so much better focused in the eye. The foveola of your retina is where all your high resolution color vison is concentrated and it's a very small area, about 0.3 mm diameter. Any damage to the foveola results in a major loss in central vision acuity.