PDA

View Full Version : rf31 quill problems

skriddle
03-22-2007, 10:24 PM
The quill lock on my RF 31 mill will not lock. I have to hold the dial to keep it from moving up. Any hints on a solution?

Willy
03-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Welcome aboard skriddle,although I haven't had one apart myself I'll see if I can be of some help.Did the problem show up suddenly,or was it a gradual process before the quill lock was ineffective?Have you taken the quill lock apart to see what the problem might be?I may be wrong but I think that the problem well be evident upon disassembly.I am assuming that the lock is probably an eccentric so if it is worn it will be obvious.
I'm sure someone with more experience with your problem will chime in soon to enlighten both of us,but in the mean time have a look at the Yahoo mill drill site (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mill_drill/) there's a wealth of information there in regards to the RF-31 and it's relatives.

lazlo
03-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Skriddle,

The quill lock on the RF-31 screws an eliptical split clamp that grabs the front of the quill.

I'm guessing you're talking about something else though -- the rack and pinion for the quill extension is really sloppy on the Mill/Drills, so there's a lot of backlash in the downfeed. So much backlash that if you loosen the quill lock after you've been cutting, the quill will drop down several thou.

You can adjust a little bit of the backlash out by loosening the bolts on the fine feed housing and pull the whole feed mechanism toward you as you re-tighten the bolts.

An even better solution is to turn the downfeed pinion shaft slightly eccentric, so you can adjust the quill backlash so it's tolerable, but that's a pretty involved project.

Let us know if that doesn't help,

Robert

skriddle
03-25-2007, 08:43 PM
The split elpitical clamp is what I'm having trouble with. It just doesn't seem to want to clamp very tight which results in having to hold the fine feed adjustment.

torker
03-25-2007, 09:24 PM
The split elpitical clamp is what I'm having trouble with. It just doesn't seem to want to clamp very tight which results in having to hold the fine feed adjustment.
Sounds to me like the split clamps are touching and not tightening. Take them out and give them a little clearance.
Does yours have a through bolt with a nut or does it have a bolt that threads into something? Could be as simple as the bolt threads are bottoming out.
Russ