PDA

View Full Version : Old lathe

lane
03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
can you believe this.http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-METAL-LATHE-RARE-QUALITY-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ260099676379QQcategoryZ104241QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

CCWKen
03-25-2007, 12:49 AM
Nice old Senica Falls but you'd need to have more cash than brains to pay $8500 for it. :eek:

Tinkerer
03-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Did they have hammertone paints in the 1800's. Look like a repaint to me with a new replacement belt. Heck look how rusty... I mean look at the patina on the chuck. He should use more ventilation when he paint cause he's lightheaded or on something if he remotely thinks he'll get that price. :rolleyes: A like conditioned South Bend would not bring that and people lose their minds bidding on that brand.

Oh well he's paying the insertion fee's he can ask whatever he likes... but I'm sure you'll see no sniper action on this auction. :D

LarryM
03-25-2007, 01:56 AM
Hey Lane if that baby could talk it could tell us some pretty good stories I'll bet.:p

kmp
03-25-2007, 05:53 AM
With that purple/pink tinge in the paint that lathe wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in any real machine shop in the days when "men were men" etc. :o

I hope this "antique" lathe movement gains supporters on this side of the pond, I have a number of "classics" that just need painting with that "original" paint if I can match that colour. :D

best regards

Keith

thistle
03-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Nice old Senica Falls but you'd need to have more cash than brains to pay $8500 for it. :eek:

when people get into this old machine POS lark, they definatley need more cash than brains and that with a free machine .

by the time you have made parts , scraped everything in ect ....... boy oh boy

Alguy
03-25-2007, 06:25 AM
I ll have to try to schedule in them machine auctions at sothbys ...( eyeroll) never say never i have seen some silly prices on ebay. i still remember that shaper that reliable sold for over 7000$ . they had low starting bid price , but then they bid it up to the stratosphere.

Virgil Johnson
03-25-2007, 07:33 AM
This one has the "original leather strap".

Alistair Hosie
03-25-2007, 07:49 AM
He obviously thinks he has a holzapfell which he does not .These original holzapfell's go for big bucks but all he has is an old lathe worth a hundred bucks.Alistair

PackardV8
03-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Greetings, All,

P.T. Barnum would have loved eBay. It costs next to nothing to throw up a wild hair price. If the right sucker comes along, you don't have to work for a month. If no one bites, then try again with a reasonable reserve and hope the antique HSM movement has gained momentum.

thnx, jv,