PDA

View Full Version : Mill update: Chip shield and Xylotex heat sinks

Evan
03-26-2007, 08:34 PM
I have made a chip shield for my mill to keep some of the mess under control. It's Lexan and super easy to remove and replace. It lifts off and on and is held in place by gravity only. Quick and easy to clean.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/shield1.jpg

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/shield2.jpg

These are the driver modules . They are single axis Xylotex modules. I chose to use individual modules because it is cheaper to replace just one if something goes poof on an axis.

In my opinion they do not have adequate heat sinking. The sinks are too small and they are fastened with adhesive heat sink tape. It has about the same heat transfer properties as a dry heat sink in contact with the chip, which is to say not very good. The only advantage is that it is easy to assemble and requires no heat sink mounting hardware.

I took off the old sinks and cut up a CPU heat sink to make replacements. They are mounted with the hold downs and arctic silver heat sink grease. On average that will give about 20 times less thermal resistance than the as provided heat sink.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/xylotex1.jpg

mochinist
03-26-2007, 08:38 PM
very cool Evan

S_J_H
03-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Nice job on the heat sinks and lexan enclosure. Your mill is really impressive looking! What kind of feeds and DOC is it capable of in aluminum?

Steve

wierdscience
03-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Nice work as usual,too bad the chip shield couldn't have a bottom in it huh?

lenord
03-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Evan,

That's not Lexan, that's some other kind of clear "plastic" material ! :)

Thanks for the tip with the swarf shield(s), you gave me a good idea.

Lenord

Evan
03-26-2007, 09:58 PM
http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/lexan.jpg

lenord
03-26-2007, 10:01 PM
:) :) :)

Lenord

Evan
03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Steve,

With that end mill on it now it will cut about .100" x .375" at around 10-15 ipm (roughing). It will climb mill the same cut at about half that rate.

CCWKen
03-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I'm liking that! Slick idea with the tilt up. (And the individual drivers.)

lazlo
03-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Evan, I can't decipher the second picture -- it looks like you've lifted the Lexan shield off the table, and laid it on the toolmaker's vise.

Is it hinged somewhere? I don't see hinges?

Evan
03-26-2007, 10:57 PM
I just lifted it off and propped it up against the mill to give an idea of how it fits around the table. It has no moving parts.

The lexan panels are really easy to replace. Just a few screws and they come off and the hole locations aren't fussy at all. The panels are trapped between aluminum angle and strip all the way around the bottom.

Buggy_fabber
03-26-2007, 10:57 PM
auesome, looks like it sits on the angles at the end of the table....very slick, thats what i need to do....49" table may be a bit hard to do tho....

lazlo
03-26-2007, 11:13 PM
I just lifted it off and propped it up against the mill to give an idea of how it fits around the table. It has no moving parts.

That's what I thought at first -- Ken confused me :)

Nice job Evan! You need to get it dirty :p

torker
03-27-2007, 12:56 AM
Looks good Evan! Reminds me...I have to get back to my CNC R/T one of these days. Got so fed up with the problems with the driver board...I threw the works under the bench til I get feeling better again. Jeff is getting the driver board back to check it out himself. After the fifth email with the same old "bad ground" diagnosis....I put the manual crank back on it :(
Russ

lazlo
03-27-2007, 01:03 AM
I have to get back to my CNC R/T one of these days. Got so fed up with the problems with the driver board...I threw the works under the bench til I get feeling better again.

Russ, I thought you had that rotab working at one point? Did you smoke your driver board?

torker
03-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Laz...yes I had it working fine. Then something happened with the board and I can't seem to convince Jeff that it's the boards fault. I told him I'd pay if I wrecked it or whatever...I don't care. I just want it to work like it did for the first two weeks. Been pretty sick and haven't got a lot done in the metal shop. Also trying to get my new woodshop up and running. Too many toys :D
Russ

CCWKen
03-27-2007, 01:21 AM
That's what I thought at first -- Ken confused me :)

Nice job Evan! You need to get it dirty :p

Awh heck, I thought that was a hinge back there. I take back all the good things I said then. :D

Ron Horton
03-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Evan-- Great idea, and very nice job-- What is the heigth of your panels? Best regards, Ron

I know I just had it a minute ago--

Evan
03-27-2007, 02:14 AM
They are 8" high. It will cover most of the jobs I will be doing without being too hard to work with. One of the reasons I built it is as a safety feature. It makes it much harder to reach in and get too close to the finger remover because you had this urge to sweep aways some chips or something.