PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Cut 6-4 Titanium With?

john hobdeclipe
03-27-2007, 09:19 PM
I've picked up a few pieces of titanium to play with, including a small sheet of .035 thick CP and a piece of .050 thick 6AL-4V. I want to be able to cut out odd shapes and freeforms. The CP sheet cuts slowly on a scroll saw, but it does cut, and the end result is serviceable. But the same blade just bounces off the 6-4. If I try to push it, I get a few sparks and a dead blade.

I attacked it with a pair of aviation snips, and the 6-4 just laughed at me.

I assume such things as plasma, water jet, or laser will cut the stuff, but I don't have any of those and I don't want to pay someone else to have my fun for me.

If I continue this little jewelry making escapade, I'll stick with CP, but for now I have some money tied up in this 6-4 and I need to learn to work it.

Any ideas?

Optics Curmudgeon
03-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Most Ti alloys behave similarly to stainless steel, similar hardness and the same work hardening problems. High speed steel works fine if you watch the speed and make sure you cut aggressively, take wimpy cuts and it will harden right up. I've bandsawed miles of Ti alloy sheet as well as explosive bonded Ti/stainless sheet. A speed appropriate for stainless works well. Years ago I worked in a screw machine shop that made Ti jet engine parts, the same applied there. HS steel tools, aggressive feeds and coolant.

Joe

lbender
03-28-2007, 09:07 AM
john hobdeclipe,

I have a brazed diamond scroll saw blade and a sqeeze bottle of water. Kinda takes three hands, but you can cut hardened sheet. Feedrate is slower than a toothed blade, but not too bad. I have also seen brazed carbide blades that would work on Ti 6-4 at a lower cost.

john hobdeclipe
03-29-2007, 12:26 AM
john hobdeclipe,

I have a brazed diamond scroll saw blade and a sqeeze bottle of water. Kinda takes three hands, but you can cut hardened sheet. Feedrate is slower than a toothed blade, but not too bad. I have also seen brazed carbide blades that would work on Ti 6-4 at a lower cost.

Thanks for the info. Where can I find these?

Swarf&Sparks
03-29-2007, 01:26 AM
John, you might also try cemented carbide jigsaw blades. They're usually used to cut slate, tile etc and are available at hardware chains.
Rgds, Lin

lbender
03-29-2007, 08:09 AM
I bought my diamond blade from a scroll saw dealer, I don't remember which one. There are several manufacturers, you could check some of the hobby catalogs.

Swarf&Sparks
03-29-2007, 08:24 AM
BTW, if you go the jigsaw route, mount it upside-down on a sheet of plywood, then use like a scroll-saw, or with a fence for straight cuts.

john hobdeclipe
03-29-2007, 08:24 AM
A search for "diamond scroll saw blade" as given me several sources to study and choose from.

Thanks for the direction.