X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torker
    • Dec 2003

So...do I REALLY have a gurl helper??

Yup...her she is tiggin up a new project.
    This is pretty cool! When I don't have any paying work...she still comes over to practice tig welding and fab/machine techniques.

Her new "Spider Web" creation. These are just sections to be joined together later...into some whacko creation...lol! (Actually it's pretty neat stuff to build)
    She's getting pretty handy with the tig torch huh? This little stuff is a lot harder to weld than it looks.

Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...
  • torker
    • Dec 2003

Oh ya...that's the only pic I'll be showing you buncha hound dogs
    Russ

Comment

• Feb 2007

Well shoot thats not fair,How about a picture of the front of her back???????

Comment

• JRouche
        • Aug 2004

Damm Russ, give her a stool to sit on, shes gonna have a neck cramp.

Your a lucky guy to find a good welder. Treat (pay) her well.
        JRouche

Comment

• CCWKen
          • Jan 2003

Heck, that could be a guy for all we know. Long hair don't make a chick now days. I think I see a five-o-clock shadow too.

Comment

• Willy
            • Oct 2005

I knew if we waited long enough you would bend a little.
            You're right about that being hard to weld...ya got to have a lot of patience to set something like that up,but then I'm sure you know that already.I don't know about you but with me welding usually consists of 95% preparation and setup time and 5% arc time.Unless something goes wrong and then it's 95% grinder time and 5% cussing time.
            Your pretty lucky to have somebody dedicated and interested enough to show that kind of enthusiasm.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Alguy
              • Feb 2006

Women can make excelent welders, a couple i know are among the best i have ever seen,, CCken has been in texas too long its obvious to my trained ohio eyes that tush is female.
              scariest thing to hear " I am from the government and i am here to help"

Comment

• torker
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by CCWKen
                Heck, that could be a guy for all we know. Long hair don't make a chick now days. I think I see a five-o-clock shadow too.
                LOL! Ken...look down...below the white shirt...that's what a gurl looks like
                No 5 0'clock shadow either...that's dirt and other assorted black stuff. Typical noobie weldor...always rubbin her hands on her face...cept she's wearing dirty gloves and it all comes off. She's a pretty good sport about it all though...a bit of dirt doesn't bother her.
                That's the only shot I'm allowed to show...lol!
                I've taught a lot of people how to weld but never had one like this before.
                She knows very little theory but has that "touch" that a good weldor needs.
                She can even stick weld as good as most guys now...after her second try.
                She just stick welded up a hold down thing I invented to strap down dirtbikes on my flatdeck truck. It's as good as many journeymen could do.
                I'm actually really proud of how much she's learned in a very short time.
                Russ

Comment

• torker
                  • Dec 2003

Hahahaha...I just sent her this link....got back an email...she's pissed about the 5 o'clock shadow comment...lol! Shoulda mentioned...she's got a bad temper...like me. We agree to keep that buried when we work together.
                  And she knows a few pretty good cuss words too. Sounds like we might do a few pics tomorrow of all her work...and she might even show her face...

Comment

• Forrest Addy
                    • Oct 2002

What a buncha thrill seekers you guys are.

I worked with women for 20 years. We had women apprentices, helpers, and mechanics, toolroom attendants, supervisors, planners and estimators, crane operators, welders etc. It was never a big deal. We were working together. It might have been a jolt for new guys but I'd been around it since day one in 1961. We started women in the apprentice program in 1973. Most were better students than the men and being women they had a slightly different take on the trade that was as effective as the men's.

There's the dating game of course and flirtation but the unwritten rule was you didn't date the women on your gang and you never hassled women period becuase she was likely to have 15 protective brothers for you to contend with.

I've worked with women and had them work for me. I've worked for women too. So long as it's working together and getting the job done they're no better or worse than men.

As for Torker providing a venue for that welder to work on her projects, more power to him. You gotta bring the strivers along whenever you can. It doesn't take much: access and opportunity. They'll do the rest themselves with hard work.
                    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 03-30-2007, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Tell Her I said she has a nice Butt, and she does nice work. Are those plant hangers?

I live far enough away to be safe from her temper.But I am a sucker for Blue Collar gal.

Comment

• torker
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by IOWOLF
                        Tell Her I said she has a nice Butt, and she does nice work. Are those plant hangers?

I live far enough away to be safe from her temper.But I am a sucker for Blue Collar gal.
                        Jay...They are parts for a couple of candle holder deals.
                        BTW...she works for us at the motel...all dressed up in gurl cloths. I'm sure she's heard a million times how good her "walking away" look is
                        Me and her just put down 500 square feet of ceramic tile in the lobby.
                        It's a rarity nowadays to find someone so interested in stuff like this.

Comment

Yea, she will make someone a good wife someday.

Tell her sorry, but I am married .........to someone a lot like her.

Comment

• Wirecutter
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                            You gotta bring the strivers along whenever you can. It doesn't take much: access and opportunity. They'll do the rest themselves with hard work.
                            As usual, Forrest hits it right on the head. You want someone who can be professional, and do the work. Having enthusiasm, a desire to learn, a great work ethic - those are all icing on the cake.

I used to work in a network support center. One of the most "god-like" of the engineers (quick to understand a situation, professional, friendly, and fast to find and solve the problem) was not only a woman, but gay. But who cares? I knew better than to waste her time with stupid or easy problems, but when the going got difficult, she was probably the best person to ask.

She was also ex-army. I don't know if she was so high caliber because, as a woman in a male dominated arena, she had more to prove. It could have been the case - it wouldn't have surprised me. But she didn't have "an attitude" or anything. She was simply way above average in every respect that I knew, in comparison with anyone in the company.

I have always really enjoyed the chance to work with great people, and with people that knew stuff that was different from what I know. People I could learn from, and might sometimes learn something from me.

-Mark

Comment

• BobWarfield
                              • Nov 2005

Forrest, as usual, brings home several good points.

One of the most interesting is that this is not a new thing!

My mother worked in a Collins radio factory during WWII and knew her way around machinery just fine. Very handy woman and real good with a torch doing silversmithing which was her hobby interest. I have no doubt that if we'd had a Tig sitting around while I was growing up she could have run it without a problem. She could also run a whole set of lapidary tools including grinders, rock saws, and faceting machines. She was not one to go get dad anytime there was a mechanical problem. He was also good in the shop, but there wasn't an awful lot he could show her that she didn't already know--not that she was gonna let him know that, however!

Always funny when people start thinking women in the workplace are a new thing and that they aren't very good at it.

Best,

BW
                              ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                              Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                              http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Working...
                              X