PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat

Charles Ping
03-30-2007, 09:56 AM
It's a little while since I've read a good gloat so here goes. It's nowhere near the league of Ragasred Raglan's £50 Deckel but it was good enough to get John Stevenson to call me up and question the legitimacy of my birth.
It's a Christen 05-10 drill grinder.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/439714055_27039d2648_m.jpg

Bought for 42 UK pounds ($83 US)
Almost complete and in very good condition under the grime. It's lacking the collet chuck and mounting yoke - probably lost whilst moving it between the main workhead and the point thinning attachment at the back end. Even the bulb in the microscope still works.

Luckily the manual that BadDog emailed me (thanks Russ) gives full details of the missing parts with dimensions. I'm contemplating adapting an ER11 chuck to act as the drill holder although I'm open to other ideas. I've emailed the UK importer about the missing parts but I'm pretty certain that the prices will be terrifying.

Regards

Charles

JPR
03-30-2007, 11:03 AM
I am jealous, I can't even find a good bench grinder for that price.

Your Old Dog
03-30-2007, 11:30 AM
How? How did you buy it? We talking yard sale, garage sale or tool liquidator?

Charles Ping
03-30-2007, 11:40 AM
How? How did you buy it? We talking yard sale, garage sale or tool liquidator?

Nope - I didn't rob a widow either
Ebay. Properly described aswell.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230104125600&rd=1&rd=1

Somedays you just get lucky

Charles

Malc-Y
03-30-2007, 12:04 PM
While on the subject of ebay bargains, a couple of weeks ago I bought a brand new, in box, Rohm 4MT revolving centre with interchangable point for
£13.10. (about $26). Was this a good buy???

Malc.

John Stevenson
03-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Well I still think it was a crap buy and someone saw Charles coming. :rolleyes:

Peter N
03-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Jammy bugger, I saw that and thought it would go for a lot more!
I'll be round with a big box of blunt drills once you have it set up :D

Malc-y, I think you got a bargain there, they are well over £100 in the J&L catalogue for a standard 4MT revolving centre.

Peter

Timleech
03-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I've got a search set up on ebay for 'drill grinder' & 'drill grinding', that one didn't show up.
Just the sort of thing I could do with, but a trip to Sussex to collect would have put the price up quite a bit.

Jammy sod.
Aren't you the one who constantly complains that all the good machinery deals are oop north? ;)

Tim

scott96088
03-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I've got a search set up on ebay for 'drill grinder' & 'drill grinding', that one didn't show up.
Just the sort of thing I could do with, but a trip to Sussex to collect would have put the price up quite a bit.

Jammy sod.
Aren't you the one who constantly complains that all the good machinery deals are oop north? ;)

Tim

You need to ad "drill sharpener" and sometime "drill pointer" to your list you'll get a lot more hits.. I check at least once a week and bid the max I want to spend including shipping. One of these days I might get lucky

Scott

CCWKen
03-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Tool gloat indeed. :cool: Just so you don't get embarrassed about such a steal, I think you should send it to me and I'll return $50 for your troubles. ;)

BadDog
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Congrats Charles, and Iím glad the manual has helped. But I did very little and owe a great deal to Tom who did the initial scan.

I paid about the same for mine, but didnít get the web thinning attachments, though I did get the large size option along with 2, 4 and 6 flute tool holders. Not to be a vulture, but if you wind up running into problems with it, I would be interested in the web thinning attachment. :D

BadDog
03-30-2007, 03:16 PM
BTW, this is mine. That box with envelopes in front of it is full of the extra collets, holders, and other stuff.

If you need any measurements or details, send me a PM and I'll help what I can...

http://www.members.cox.net/thebaddog/junk/grinder1.jpg
http://www.members.cox.net/thebaddog/junk/grinder2.jpg

Timleech
11-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Collected this yesterday

http://web.onetel.com/~duttondock/Pictures/christen-1.jpg

I think the price at under 130 ukp (about $250) was OK. Trouble is I had to collect from Barnstaple, Devon, a 525 mile round trip with the trailer. He was willing to put it on a pallet, but I had an engine to collect from Gloucester which just about made the trip worthwhile.

As well as a microscope & some extra chuck jaws, it came with a load of Tufnol cams, I'm not sure yet whether they really belong to this machine, I'm trying to locate a source for an instruction book.
The pm forum is down at the moment, I know there's been some discussion of Christen grinders there.

Tim

BadDog
11-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Oooh, nice....

I've got a little Christen bench top for 80 up to 1/4" bits. Very nice little machine.

Alistair Hosie
11-22-2007, 07:04 PM
I agree with John it was a crap buy,you paid way too much but since your a pal of Ragarsed any pal of his is a pal of mine. So if you clean it up, deliver it in person,and set it up and sharpen my tools, teaching me how to use it I'll give you back what you paid plus a quid for your trouble:D:D:D:DAlistair

John Stevenson
11-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Go back to bed.....................

BadDog
11-22-2007, 07:21 PM
:o Hehe, I didn't realize I had already posted in this thread, so my last response probably looked a little odd...

wierdscience
11-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Aren't you the one who constantly complains that all the good machinery deals are oop north?

Tim

That's what he wants you to believe;) :D