PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ghost of e-mails past?

wierdscience
04-01-2007, 12:07 PM
I check my mail everytime I startup,every so often several new messages show up from months past that I never recieved.

Is this normal,is it the digital equivilent to the sock monster or is it some software quirk or lazy ISP manager?

kendall
04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah! sock monster!

I've recieved emails 6 months old before, even recieved one from myself that was 3 months old, there was a copy in my sent folder too!

What's strange here is sometimes I'll get messages on my cell phone that are a week or two old, try explaining that to your girlfriend sometime, Honest I wasn't ignoring you, I just got your message! I figure it's a verizon thing, and people just aren't meant to understand.

ken.

scott96088
04-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah! sock monster!

I've recieved emails 6 months old before, even recieved one from myself that was 3 months old, there was a copy in my sent folder too!

What's strange here is sometimes I'll get messages on my cell phone that are a week or two old, try explaining that to your girlfriend sometime, Honest I wasn't ignoring you, I just got your message! I figure it's a verizon thing, and people just aren't meant to understand.

ken.

Me too!!!

What worse sometimes it happens to when my boss calls me on the company cell phone which is at&t...:mad:

Scott

madman
04-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Suck Big Time

pgmrdan
04-01-2007, 07:28 PM
We've had emails that took 2 1/2 weeks to go through the company network from a lady at one desk sending something to the guy across the aisle 8' away. :)

Wareagle
04-01-2007, 09:07 PM
This is a little off the track, but I think the e-mails are getting lost in the labrynth of spam that is coming to me every day! At work, I am getting roughly 150 spam e-mails daily wanting to me to check out this stock, or "please" my partner. On my personal e-mail, I am getting another twenty or so each day.

So, if you take say 40 spam e-mails in addition to the legitimate ones for each e-mail address out there, you can quickly see there is a whole lot of e-mails (most needlessly) bounching between machines at any given time. No wonder we can't depend on an e-mail beating the USPS anymore!

FWIW This spam e-mailing sh*% is way out of control :mad:

Okay, I feel a little better!

PolskiFran
04-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I had a new one tonight...I'm spamming myself! E-mail addressed to me, from me. Title:hot pictures of Brittney Spears. No content in e-mail. If any of the board members also got this please delete it. It wasn't me who sent it.

Frank

john hobdeclipe
04-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Haven't had that problem with email. I have noticed, though, that incoming emails apparently fall into place according to the date on the originating computer. I once had an eBay customer who's emails would get lost in my inbox. I finally realized they were all out of sight at the bottom of the list, dated about 3 years earlier.

Back in the mid '70s, when I lived in Salisbury, NC, it seemed that my USPS mail was often very slow. So I addressed an envelope to myself and dropped it in the letter slot at the PO. Sure enough, it took 7 days to travel the 10 feet around the corner to my mailbox.

J Tiers
04-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I am now getting email from 1990, and 2023. I suspect those dates may be wrong :rolleyes:

It should go away in another week or two with "real" daylight savings, when all teh computers again aline correctly.

Evan
04-02-2007, 01:37 AM
A few points to consider:

The To: and From: headers in an e-mail are informational only. They aren't used to determine where to deliver the mail. That information is hidden in other headers that you don't see. The visible to and from headers can say anything or nothing.

Mail servers will continue to try and deliver undeliverable mail for a period of time. How long that is is up to the server administrator. Mine is set to 3 days. Mail can be undeliverable for many reasons including network problems.

I sometimes go through the 'spam dump' on my mail server looking for mail that was accidentally tagged as spam and not delivered. If I find any that should have been delivered I manually drop it in the persons mailbox. That could be up to a week later.

Mail servers can crash like any other computer. Mail that has been received from a client for sending is usually batched for a short time prior to sending. If the server crashes before it has been sent on it will often be sent when the server comes back up, someday...

wierdscience
04-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Ahh,that probably explains it,all three e-mails were from the same person from about two months ago.

Speaking of computer clocks,just when are they expected to catch up?The old daylight savings date?

Which raises another question,since the US went on daylight savings early this year,what about our neighbors?

Evan
04-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Canada reluctantly followed suit. Not too happy about it as it dropped us back into driving to work in the dark but we are too closely tied to US business to do otherwise. I don't know about Mexico.

sch
04-02-2007, 10:02 AM
My bellsouth.net email seems fairly impervious to spam, but only bellsouth
knows the address and they are the only users. Not sure how that will go
with ATT/SBC taking over. My Charter account is used only by spammers.
I get at least a 1000 spams/ mo, that is the limit the box holds, so it is
probably more. I used to clear it out every few months, now I never look.
Gmail and Hotmail seem relatively spam proof, Gmail more than hotmail.
Hotmail will let a random bunch 10-20 spams through with a new approach
and then adjust their filters, and the spam goes away for awhile.
Yahoo is not bad either, but it is used only by yahoo itself as the address
was never passed out. For me one of the better filters would be to filter out
any email with a female first name. That alone would knock out 95+%