PDA

View Full Version : "One" of my current projects (pics)

CCWKen
04-02-2007, 11:50 PM
After tooling up to fix my own, I've been rebuilding a few Model T starters and generators for other folks. And wanting to offer some "flash" for the speedster owners, I've made a few mods that should show good under the hood.

First step is to clean up the housing. These things look and cut like they were hot formed on an anvil with a meat tenderizer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Projects/Model%20T/StarterRebuild/Housingprep-1.jpg

Finishing up the cut. Special care is needed to keep from cutting into the threaded holes in the end of the case.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Projects/Model%20T/StarterRebuild/Housingprep-2.jpg

After a little DA sanding using the "vertical lathe", it goes to the buffer/polisher.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Projects/Model%20T/StarterRebuild/Housingprep-3.jpg

A little time on the polisher and the case and rear cover are ready for plating prep. This is "raw" steel. Both pieces will be nickel plated to be "period correct" and offer some corrosion protection. This is a starter case and cap but the generator is the same except for a couple of extra holes.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Projects/Model%20T/StarterRebuild/Housingprep-4.jpg

BobWarfield
04-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Very nice!

BW

Swarf&Sparks
04-03-2007, 02:10 AM
Shiny! MMMMM, purty! :D

bob308
04-03-2007, 08:38 AM
make it shiney and the ferrets will come.

Evan
04-03-2007, 09:43 AM
A little time on the polisher...

Yeah sure. :D As someone who also has an unnatural fascination with bright shiny objects I know that "A little time" is a very subjective thing. Looks very pretty.

Bill in Ky
04-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't see any pictures. Is it my computer?

spkrman15
04-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Nice work. You had it plated? Do you have to buff it so the swirl marks won't show through the plating?

Rob :)

gundog
04-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Nice work!

comerrm
04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Nice... you got me thinking. I just picked up a starter for my 25' but I need to come up with a bendix before I start getting fancy.
-Rob Comer

StutzSpec
04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
The old saying still applies "if it don't go chrome it"

Cecil Walker
04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Very nice work as usual Ken. Have to agree with Evan also, you spent more that "a little time" on polishing. Now that you've teased us with the parts photo, how about some pictures of the entire auto.

Also, has the package arrived? and was it the correct part for your car?

CCWKen
04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Nice work. You had it plated? Do you have to buff it so the swirl marks won't show through the plating?

It's NOT plated yet. That's just plain steel in the pictures. There's still a little fine polishing to do before hitting the tanks. And yes, the plate will only come out as good as the finish on the base material. As Evan says, the polish time is a subjective judgment but it was "less than a day" for all the pieces for a generator and starter. ;)

Two case housings
Starter brush cap
Generator brush cap
2 brush cap bands
8 lug shoe screws
4 starter cap rivets
4 generator cap screws
10 assembly screws
14 lock washers
1 faux generator oiler

CCWKen
04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey, Cecil. No package yet but if it's comming UPS, they deliver late in the day here. I don't have enough of the '25 Touring together to call a car yet. Here's another to tide you over. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Autos/T-Files/2005_06091919FordTruck0005.jpg

Cecil Walker
04-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Beautiful!

IOWOLF
04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Do that for old tractor Generators and you will have a helluva time keeping up with demand.

Alistair Hosie
04-03-2007, 05:27 PM
is chrome plating expensive I see the guys a o.c.c do it alll the time ?Alistair

CCWKen
04-03-2007, 07:52 PM
These won't be chrome--Just nickel plated. These are pre-1928 parts and chrome wasn't in wide use then. While not stock, the nickel plate is period correct for some "flash" under the hood. The Speedsters of the time were pretty smart looking. Headers, dual carbs, aluminum heads, OHV, lowered and channeled. And that was 1913. ;)

And yes, it is expensive. :eek: At least for start up. You could say the same for a HSM shop. It's all relative to the jobs you do and how big.

charlie coghill
04-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Very nice pickup you have there, Ken.

PolskiFran
04-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Beautiful job on the starter! Did you have to do much removal of rough material on the end bell and other small parts? Great pickup too.

Frank

CCWKen
04-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Did you have to do much removal of rough material on the end bell and other small parts?
Fortunately not. I had a couple of housings that weren't pitted too bad and they sanded out. Deep pits can be filled but it takes more time and a couple of extra plating steps. If you plan on doing anything like this, look for the best condition housings you can find. They don't make these any more. A "little" dressing of the pole screws and gen brush plate screws was all that was necessary. New screws are available but these cleaned up well on a wire wheel then were polished before plating.

These are the nickel plated screws and rivets to be used.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Projects/Model%20T/StarterRebuild/Start-GenParts-1.jpg

Evan
04-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Do you mind if I ask how much you charge for one like this?

CCWKen
04-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Depending on where you purchase it, a rebuild stock generator runs from $220-$264 plus a $50-$75 core charge. The starters go for about $220. I've been selling the rebuilt stock generators out-right for about $220 and the starters for $200. Recent material costs have up so I'll have to adjust that too. I haven't settled on the price for the plated versions yet.

The generators and starters are completely rebuilt and set to the original Ford specs for output, draw and torque. There's more time involved in the generator because of run-in, test and adjustment. There's also a safety circuit added to the generator as well as an accessory faux oiler. The outside is just a pretty skirt. :D

You certainly won't get rich doing this. ;)

Dawai
04-04-2007, 05:00 PM
A little time:???

I remember sitting with a cast from my toes to my hip, taking the stainless bolts out of the panhead one at a time and polishing them to a chrome like luster. PUTTING them in with steel wrenches makes them rust thou? I guess it transferrs enough iron to make them rusty.

Yes, looks good. Van ???? mideval artist said God lives in the details.

wierdscience
04-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Nice work as usual Ken!

That looks like a belt grinder I saw recently would come in handy.It was set up on an old rag of a lathe and used as an OD grinder.Water cooled and everything.They were polishing up black iron pipe for railing use.