PDA

View Full Version : Circular Wood Clamp Storage

madman
04-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Any one seen a rotating type circular wood clamp holser for long wood pipe clamps?? Space saving considerations here.I been looking through the intnet but no such luck yet. Thanx

Your Old Dog
04-11-2007, 07:37 AM
I just hang mine in rifle style on the wall. Make sure you can get to them post-haste as one frequently has to make the mad dash to get another clamp on! Glue up are my most tense moments in the shop :D

SGW
04-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I store mine by clamping them to a ceiling joist.

PTSideshow
04-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Most of the type you are talking about. Start out with a old rim/wheel can be filled with cement of weight if you have a lot of clamps of differing lengths. The center section is a pipe/fence post works. Then you form the rings around the post with arms angle section s of flat stock other pipe ect. you just have to have the number of rings for the longest pipeclams you use.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/overheadjoist.jpg
I have mine hanging from a pipe bolted to 2 heavy duty shelf brackets from the floor beam for the 2nd floor in the shop. The celings are 10feet high. If you also look at the bottom of the joist to the right back of the picture you can make out some duct hanger strips that I srew into the joinst for long storage of wood, plastic ect. I also put the real long clams that I don't use often in between the joists.
You are talking about the caruosels that many smith'ys have that their hammers hang from.:D

PTSideshow
04-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Buy the way you can do the same thing out of wood and use a lazy Suzy type bearing to make it spin.

kendall
04-11-2007, 12:56 PM
My old vertical storage rack was pretty much 4 long skinny boxes screwed together with a pipe through the center (end on looked like a swastika) gives four seperate storage areas that can be divided for smaller bits.

mine was 12 feet tall and used 3/4 ton truck hubs but can be scaled down easily unless you use realy big clamps!

can be left open, or enclosed as mine were in a closet for looks.

current shop only has 7ft ceilings, and is very small (16 x 19) so I have to re-think a lot of storage, thinking of building several for fastener, seldom used tool and material storage along one wall. Hate small shops!