PDA

View Full Version : Proxxon longneck angle grinder LW/E ?

Milacron of PM
04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Got one of these today (new) and am quite un-impressed initially. Haven't actually used it yet but just test running the darn thing vibrates and just sounds bad...like a bad bearing or gear. But for all I know this is just how they are normally.

Anyone else here have one ?

CCWKen
04-11-2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.minicrafttools.com/proxxon/images/38544.gif

"The unit has a special, balanced motor with full-wave electronic speed control."
I'd say you have a lemon. Are you getting the vibration without a stone or disk mounted?

lazlo
04-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Don, where's it made? I know Proxxon is a German company, but...

aboard_epsilon
04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I've got something from proxon apart on the bench ...says made in Taiwan on the motor.

all the best.mark

Milacron of PM
04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Tool made in Luxemburg, accessories made in Japan and Italy.

It's much smoother without a wheel, but I tried all 3 wheels (flap type and solid disk) and same result. Kinda hard to achieve much without a wheel on it !

lazlo
04-11-2007, 05:17 PM
It's much smoother without a wheel, but I tried all 3 wheels (flap type and solid disk) and same result.

Is it possible the arbor nut is out of balance?

With Proxxon's reputation, I'd bet they have really good customer service...

CCWKen
04-12-2007, 12:00 AM
It's much smoother without a wheel, but I tried all 3 wheels (flap type and solid disk) and same result. Kinda hard to achieve much without a wheel on it !

Ok, so you've established where the problem lies. Do we need to walk you through the solution?

Milacron of PM
04-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Ok, so you've established where the problem lies. Do we need to walk you through the solution?

I have not yet established where the problem lies. I said it was much smoother without the wheel on it. It's still not "right" even without the wheel. If it ran "smooth as silk" without a wheel then it would be obvious the unbalanced wheels were the issue and I never would have posted in the first place.

I think the centrifugal force of a spinning wheel is just exagerrating a problem already present. Do I need to walk you thru how that is possible ?