PDA

View Full Version : centering a lathe spindle to chuck

li
11-29-2001, 04:35 PM
How is this down?
I have side to side adjustment of spindle but then when hole is off center how do you know if horizontal adjustment is cause and not verticle adjustment?

Thrud
11-30-2001, 04:46 AM
Li,

A dial indicator and careful measurement.

Dave

C. Tate
11-30-2001, 07:55 AM
Li,

Put a dead center in the tailstock (I am assuming that we are discussing drill chuck alignment in the tailstock) put a test indicator in the chuck and swing it around the dead center make adjustments as necessary to bring the tail spindle or quill into adjustment.

Guys,

Correct me if this wrong but verticle adjustment shuould not be an issue if it were correct from the factory. This is something that is not usually adjustable nor should there be a problem of wear.

kap pullen
11-30-2001, 08:28 AM
what type of lathe is this?
the unimat is the only current lathe i know of that is supposed to rotate and it has a pin for (rough) location.
level the bed as close as possible.
Indicate a test bar in at the chuck and some inches out(depending on the lathe).
Mount an indicator on the carriage and indicate the side of your test bar.
this will not take in account for wear in the bed or unlevel condition but will give you an idea.
You could indicate your chuck face (or faceplate) or use blocks and a feeler gage
from the tool post for another check.
A couple thou off on the vertical will not have much affect unless your doing super precision work. If you are doing precision work you need to look into a new or better lathe.
good luck
kapullen

docn8as
11-30-2001, 11:51 AM
C Tate....not really!!! logan/ward 1948, 10x25 shows no bed wear on casual visual inspection & can BARELy feel a ridge on v ways ....has .007 carriage drop,1st 1/2 of bed & .006 t/stock wear on bottom( paper shims).......1895 reed same visuals ,but .009 carriage drop & .013 t/stock wear( paper shimmed).both lathes will turn an 8 in piece w/in few tenths . , not dead nuts , but i dont need better( as long as i stay in 1st 1/2 of bed)!!!...set up test bar /indicator to see how much carriage dropped & as i cranked , indicator showed a RISE... centered test bar was angled down due to T/STOCK wear!!!!!! ..thot i was going even more nuts than normal for a couple minutes!!!!!!oh! the joys of "old iron"
best wishes
docn8as

Daubie
12-02-2001, 05:35 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by C. Tate:
Li,

Put a dead center in the tailstock (I am assuming that we are discussing drill chuck alignment in the tailstock) put a test indicator in the chuck and swing it around the dead center make adjustments as necessary to bring the tail spindle or quill into adjustment.

Guys,

Correct me if this wrong but verticle adjustment shuould not be an issue if it were correct from the factory. This is something that is not usually adjustable nor should there be a problem of wear.

</font>
-----------------------------
Well,I won't mention names here...
I purchased a Chinese 3-in-1 lathe/mill, marketed in the USA, AND THAT WAS EXACTLY THE CASE. I learned on old equipment, so files and emery papery RULE! And SHIMS! I sure hated that cantankerous old fart toolmaker I learned from, but he sure new some tricks. Now I am old and cantankerous!

Kurt