X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne02
    • Mar 2004

Work boots/shoes?

What are you guys doing for work boots in the home shop, or around the property these days? I need to get a new pair, probably something in the 6" high variety, and without composite toe, unless those have gotten substantially more comfortable than when I've used them in the past. Leather athletic/walking shoes are the most comfortable for me, but I need something with some more ankle support and better water resistance.

I went to the local shoe/boot store yesterday and was overwhelmed with the choices - Danner, CAT, Wolverine, Timberline, and bunch of ones I've never heard of before.

I hear people say the redwing are best, in part because they can be resoled. Is that still true, can the new redwings really be resoled, and does the overall boot last long enough to make resoling viable? Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure we still have a shoemaker guy in our town anymore. I have a terrible time finding boots that fit correctly, does redwing offer any kind of return policy on their boots?

Maybe I should be looking at hiking boots instead of work boots, should be lighter, eh?

What say you about footwear?
  • timcasbolt
    • Feb 2007

I don't think it's practical to think in terms of repairable shoes anymore. Have you looked at the Dewalt line of industrial footwear? I got a pair last year and am very satisfied.

Comment

• RollaJohn
      • Feb 2007

Wayne
      you mentioned hard to fit feet but didn't say why? I have wide feet so have limited sources for foot ware. I have purchased from Hitchcock Shoes for several years. They are pricey but sized from 3E to 6E widths.
      Wide shoes at Wideshoes.com. Shop for mens wide shoes, orthopedic shoes, wide ladies shoes and wide shoes for women

Another possibility is Mason Shoes.
      Rolla

Newbie or not a Newbie, there's always a question.
      damifino

Comment

• scott96088
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Wayne02
        What are you guys doing for work boots in the home shop, or around the property these days? I need to get a new pair, probably something in the 6" high variety, and without composite toe, unless those have gotten substantially more comfortable than when I've used them in the past. Leather athletic/walking shoes are the most comfortable for me, but I need something with some more ankle support and better water resistance.

I went to the local shoe/boot store yesterday and was overwhelmed with the choices - Danner, CAT, Wolverine, Timberline, and bunch of ones I've never heard of before.

I hear people say the redwing are best, in part because they can be resoled. Is that still true, can the new redwings really be resoled, and does the overall boot last long enough to make resoling viable? Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure we still have a shoemaker guy in our town anymore. I have a terrible time finding boots that fit correctly, does redwing offer any kind of return policy on their boots?

Maybe I should be looking at hiking boots instead of work boots, should be lighter, eh?

What say you about footwear?
        I have been wearing 'Wolverine Durashocks' everyday for the last 12 years.
        I have a fused ankle and must have the support.
        They are light weight give good support, and have a sole with a very shallow tread so they don't pick up bits of metal and rocks. They wear very well.

The only place I can find them now is Sears the list at about 125 bucks but sears does put them on sale 2-3 times per year for about 100 bucks

Scott

Comment

• lane
          • Aug 2005

REDWING The only boot worth wearing.Chips wont stick to sole. Besides stand on your feet all day behind a machine and your feet wont hurt.
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• TGTool
            • Aug 2005

I have Redwings I bought in about 72 or so. Soles aren't worn out yet, but the tongue leather has dried and cracked. Do they fix that too?
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• john hobdeclipe
              • Jun 2005

A Smart A$$ in Every Crowd

Originally posted by lane
              REDWING Besides stand on your feet all day behind a machine and your feet wont hurt.
              What are you doing BEHIND the machine?...All Day?

Comment

• x39
                • Nov 2002

Originally posted by RollaJohn
                Another possibility is Mason Shoes.
                I've worn Mason boots for years. Unfortunately, they've farmed their production out to China. Quality has gone down, price hasn't. I find it pretty low on their part to market a line of shoes called "Work America" that is made in China. My next pair of boots will be Redwings.

Comment

• john hobdeclipe
                  • Jun 2005

And on a more serious note...

Years of working on concrete floors has taken a toll on my feet, and I now have a nicely developed pair of heel spurs. I have a very difficult time finding shoes that are comfortable even though my feet are pretty much normal size.

For me, hiking type boots from Merrell seem to fit my foot the best. I also use arch support insoles from Powerstep. The custom orthotics that the foot doctor made for me were absolutely worthless.

Someday I want to try Red Wings...I've always heard good things about them. But we keep finding these Merrells on sale at $40.00 to $60.00, and they last about 4 years, and they don't hurt. So we stick with them.

Comment

• dp
                    • Mar 2005

Timberline non-marking loafers. Chips fall in, get transported to my living room, then fall out onto the carpet. Next morning it all starts over again. I wear them for every purpose except riding my Harley. For that I have Skecher's boots.

Comment

• Mike W
                      • Jan 2004

I buy cheap steel toe lace up boots at Payless one size larger. I put in 2 to 3 insoles to adjust the fit and have plenty of cushion.

Comment

• fixerdave
                        • Oct 2006

no safety toes?

I've been wearing steel toes for so long, I couldn't imagine working in the shop without them... and I have an office job

Seriously, I'm so used to the hard caps that I stick my foot out to catch things falling down, to protect the floor. If I went back to soft-toes, well, it wouldn't be too long before

I can't recommend you a boot but I can brag about what I wear... I buy mine at the local factory called Viberg. I have no idea how long they've been making boots, mostly for loggers, but I suspect they're still using the same tools from when Victoria was "Fort Victoria." They make seriously old-school boots, super thick leather, unbelievably heavy, ridiculously expensive, and they don't break in so much as come to a mutual understanding with your feet. I resoled and resoled my last pair until the insides of the soles wore out. I don't remember how long they lasted. I have a new pair now - exact same model. As for fit, they have every size imaginable, and they will custom build a pair if you're willing to pay.

I had a pair of custom hiking boots made (no steel toe there) and I expect they will last longer than my knees. They've already been going over 10 years.

David...
                        Last edited by fixerdave; 04-13-2007, 02:44 PM.
                        http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

• abn
                          • Feb 2002

I bought a pair of steel toe Redwings a while ago and these are great...I was scared that the steel toe would be uncomfortable but they were on sale for ~$130US while the soft toe duty boots I was looking at were $189US plus tax. They've been the best boot I've owned so far. I wouldn't touch another import box store boot again. Just not worth it, I go through them too quick.

Comment

• sbmathias
                            • Jul 2003

Just discovered that my fairly uncomfortable Timberland Pro steel toe boots have their soles and heels literally falling off. I'd not recommend them.
                            If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Comment

• alanganes
                              • Jul 2006

Where I work we have to have toe protection but as we work around powerful magnets the toe caps cannot be magnetic steel, which somewhat limits my choices. I got a pair of Timberland TiTan Pro series boots recently that have proven to be very lightweight and comfortable. The uppers are leather but it is very fleable and soft, so they don't have the long break-in period that the others I've had seem to require. I have only had these a few months, so can't comment on their longevity yet.

I am typically sort of hard on work shoes and seem to get a year or so out of the Timberlands I've had before the bottoms are worn pretty flat and the uppers look beat up. They do not fall apart, though, which is what I like about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X