PDA

View Full Version : Hello Again. aka *Another* LogSplitter

Tony
04-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Greets all! Long time no post -- but i've been keeping a steady watch
on you bunch. Hope all are well.

Last we spoke I think i was just finishing up a CNC plasma table.
Well, its seen alot of work and very little maintenance -- probably
time for a re-build.

Thought I'd share the latest project: yet another log splitter.
This is probably my 5th. All my friends and neighbors like to keep
me busy (and poor). I should start a logsplitter-make'n business.

Anyway, I'll jump right to the pictures. This is unpainted, untested.
I'll keep you up to snuff if anyone's interested.

Requirements of this splitter (in order of importance):
1. had to look *sexy*
2. had to be small & light
3. had to be low-profile -- no heavy log lifting
4. 20" capacity
5. if at all possible, it had to split wood.

90% of the thing is 1/4" plate (10mm actually).. and was cut on
the plasma table. the lower two links for the 3pt hitch are 1"
and were flame cut.

first picture is concept drawing 3D cad.
If the pump isn't enough of a size reference, the whole thing is 3' wide
when closed and about 1' deep, not counting the inner-tube oil tank.
dry, it weighs about 200lbs.

-Tony

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/knucklehead/machineshop/logsplitter.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/knucklehead/machineshop/SplitterOPENweb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/knucklehead/machineshop/SplitterCLOSEDweb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/knucklehead/machineshop/SplitterSide.jpg

torker
04-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Tony...Welcome back!
That thing is just darn cool!
How the heck did you ever come up with the "Inner Tube Tank" idea? I'm seeing why you did it though (lower profile and foldability?).
Nice over all job...and it does look (almost) sexay :D (I prefer wimmin but the odd machine can turn my head (See my OHIO mill :D)
Russ

Mike Burdick
04-15-2007, 03:14 PM
knucklehead,

So... is the idea to put this on a tractor's 3-point hitch and roll the log into the splitter - or back the tractor up to it?

Edit: I don't see a place for the third arm so maybe I'm wrong. So... what does it connect to?

wierdscience
04-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Sexy?Heck that's darn near Artsy Fartsy:D

Okay,so just what is the cycle time?When I look for a splitter I look for flying splinters speed.

Tony
04-15-2007, 04:31 PM
glad you guys like it so far.

mike- you're right, the 3rd arm hasn't been added yet. I'm not sure how i want to work the 3rd hitch so as to not lose "the look". related problem: where the hell do i put the controls? this thing is only about 6" tall.. if i put the controls up at a workable height then i get a flagpole look I'd really like to avoid. would like to solve both problems at once.. just don't know how yet.

and yes, you just roll logs into place. raising/lowering the tractor hitch can get you different sized cuts. the axe is sharpened with a very shallow angle on the "ground" side.. to avoid lifting the splitter while its splitting. hopefully the top piece of the log pops off.

in theory this could be used to move heavy logs... bite, lift, move, place.
it'll take some footwork as the controls will be back on the splitter and not by the driver's seat.

weirdS-- cycle time? no idea. haven't fired it up yet. pen and paper says that with a 16lt/min pump is should see about 8 cm/min or 3.2 ipm -- which doesn't sound right.. but could be. i'll let ya know.

torker-- hello again, good to be back. i'm not sure how i came up with the innertube tank. my main concern was capacity. couldn't put a big tank on a small machine. if i put in just enough oil for the cylinder and the tubing i would risk over-heating -- and i'm not in the clear yet. figured the donut shape would give me some good heat-dissipation. the feed and the return lines physically enter into the donut and are bent (inside) to hopefully create some swirl in there. i'll also be using as much rigid steel tubing as i can (to dump heat). the donut saves space, protects (you from) the spinning PTO, and.. well... is sexy.

big problem is: what color to paint it? its screaming to be chrome-plated but then people would really think i've lost it... best to keep them guessing.

-Tony

ps.. any suggestions/criticisms are welcomed of course!

torker
04-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Oh man! You gotta go with the chrome! :D
I never thought of the extra cooling you'd get from the doughnut hole...good idea!
Russ

Liger Zero
04-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Ok, damn cool. Any chance of getting a detailed set of drawings/prints and a part list for this? Or should I just send you a wad of cash and wait for UPS to bring my splitter? ;)

Cooling... any chance of running a small fan off the tractor's 12v system? That way you could blow air over a set of coils for cooling on big jobs.

As for colors... I'm thinking red and black. :cool:

Ian B
04-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Tony,

Nice log splitter!

For the controls, how about a foot operated switch, mounted as low as you can get it? One pedal if the ram's single acting, spring return, 2 if it's double acting. This leaves you both hands free for signing autograph books of the young chicks who will no doubt flock to it.

For attaching the top link, I guess you'll be mounting a bracket on the donut tank.

The only source of swearing that I can see is when you come to attach the PTO shaft to the hydraulic pump - it looks pretty well buried in the middle of that tank, add the coupling shroud and it could be a real pain to get to. You weren't a gynaecologist in a previous life? No? Tough...

For the colour, I'd paint it to match the tractor.

Ian

madman
04-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Weird freaky colours applied while youre under the influence or just really stoned.

Tony
04-20-2007, 12:39 PM
well... for better or for worse, here it is.

had no choice but to mount the valve body on a flagpole. and this thing moves fast! musta done my math wrong on the last post but i'm looking at about 2.5 inches per second. slows down a bit when it hits the log, but out of 10 or so different logs i tried, not a one gave me lip. total cycle time, for the toughest log i could find (but still no knots in it though.. will test soon).. is about 18 seconds.. full open, full close, full open again.

for the record, i didn't pick the colors.. had to fight for the black inner tube. now way THAT was gonna be baby blue. to be honest, i liked it when it was all sanded and cleaned up with the shiny metal streaks.. au naturale... some clear coat and i would've been happy right there.

-tony
ps.. yes the paint on the slidey bit gets all wrecked.. on the plus side though, it gums everything up and there are no grinding sounds :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/knucklehead/finishedsplitter.jpg

Mike Burdick
04-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Tony,

Looks VERY nice!

IOWOLF
04-20-2007, 05:46 PM
That pump Looks expensive,who makes it?

Am I missing something or do you have the Filter hidden?

Looks good though.

Your Old Dog
04-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Nicely done! You'll be the talk of th pub!