PDA

View Full Version : FEDEX into Canada?

torker
04-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey guys...can anyone tell me if Fedex charges the same outrageous "brokerage fees" as UPS does?
I'm buying a thing out of the US and these guys only ship Fedex. They don't know if Fedex charges a fee.
Thanks!
Russ

Willy
04-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Russ I haven't used Fedex but I know what you mean about the outrageous fees that UPS charges.I did a quick Google on "FedEx brokerage fees" and it seems that they are much like UPS.

edited to add...I believe if you send it parcel post you will pay duty but no brokerage fees.

Tinkerer
04-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Go to Fedex site and check rate schedule to CA if they have a Expedited rate that is 10X higher then the ground rate I'd say yes they charge the same "bend you over and break it off" brokerage fees as UPS. And to think about it for a sec' if they (UPS) does it... I'm sure Fedex and the rest do to... probably hashed that out over a round of golf.

torker
04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks! If I "could" get it sent via USPS into Canada it would cost $5. UPS (and it now sounds like FEDEX) charge minimum)$40 for very small items. Seems like the brokerage goes up with size or cost.
These guys refuse to use the mail. "Why should we pay someone to go stand in a line at the Post Office when Fedex will pick it up?"
I have no choice...I have to buy this part from them. (It's actually a rear fender for a motorcycle)
Russ

topct
04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
What motorcycle fender would you be looking for?

Is it in the Spokane area?

Paul F
04-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks! If I "could" get it sent via USPS into Canada it would cost $5. UPS (and it now sounds like FEDEX) charge minimum)$40 for very small items. Seems like the brokerage goes up with size or cost.
These guys refuse to use the mail. "Why should we pay someone to go stand in a line at the Post Office when Fedex will pick it up?"
I have no choice...I have to buy this part from them. (It's actually a rear fender for a motorcycle)
Russ

You're dealing with idiots...
You can print postage from the USPS web page, put it in a free box that the USPS will deliver, and the USPS will pick up parcels from ANY location where the US mail is delivered... for free.

Personally, I'd try very hard to find another source for the part...
I'd also consider printing out the relevant sections of the USPS web site and mailing it to them... along with a stack of priority mail boxes. (that might be complicated since you're not in the US.. but you get my drift...)

Paul F.

torker
04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks again guys. The fender is for a Baja Motorsports motorsickle. Canadian Tire sells a whack of them up here but I just found out that they don't carry any parts and don't seem interested in getting any. I'm a little choked. Anyway...the only place to get these is through Baja Motorsports. They import the bikes and sell them up here to the Crappy Tire network.
Actually very good little bikes but the parts (up here) are a problem...as I've just found out.
I always wanted to know this about Fedex anyway as I do order the odd thing from the US for my shop.
I'll tell the guy at Baja about the USPS deal. Sounds like sense to me!
Russ

lazlo
04-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey guys...can anyone tell me if Fedex charges the same outrageous "brokerage fees" as UPS does?

Yes, they charge a customs brokerage fee, but it's a little bit less than UPS.
Same deal with DHL.

I've experienced this first hand buying stuff from Canadian Ebay sellers.

lazlo
04-16-2007, 05:33 PM
I'll tell the guy at Baja about the USPS deal.

Both USPS and Canadian Post avoid the customs brokerage fees (for reasons I don't completely understand), but there are weight limits. I think 50lbs for Canadian Post (which is going the wrong way for you). I don't know the cross-border weight limit for USPS.

Evan
04-16-2007, 06:02 PM
The brokerage fees were originally applied because the shipments had to be unloaded at the border and inspected in a bonded customs clearing yard and then transferred to another carrier on the other side of the border. The fee paid for the extra handling. This is no longer necessary as the carrier can now preclear the item as it is shipped and they interline across the border transferring the item at the interline carrier shipping point as if it were their own. The fee remains though.

The mail doesn't have to do this because of reciprocal agreements that allow mail to cross the border freely. Those agreements now extend to couriers. The fee is now a moneymaker for the couriers.

spkrman15
04-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Russ,

Why not have someone you know, who lives in the US buy it for you and then ship it up to you. I have done that before with no problems. Just have them put a list of what is in it and the cost.

Rob :)

P.S. You will probably have to reinburst the first buyer...I know i had too!!

ammcoman2
04-16-2007, 06:26 PM
A couple of years ago I bought some items from Digi-key (probably 4 - 5 shipments). They were sent FedEx ground (next day) and there were no brokerage charges. I live in Ontario but am not sure if this is still correct though.

I have found that getting a UPS shipment via second day air results in no "brokerage fees". Did this with an Enco order for 3 D1-4 backplates and it was slightly cheaper than sending via ground and paying the "brokerage". The shipment actually arrived the next day.

Good luck with you quest.

Geoff

Willy
04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Russ,I think I know which bike you're talking about, have a look at this Ebay item it may be what you are looking for...http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Mini-Bike-Rear-Fender-Chopper-Minibike-Custom_W0QQitemZ190081447639QQihZ009QQcategoryZ646 57QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If not I know PA has a wide heavy plastic fender that you could probably adapt for $17.99.

studentjim
04-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Torker, I'm not sure how far you live from the U.S. border, but I live in southern Ontario just minutes from Buffalo, Ny. What I do is have any UPS deliveries sent to the Buffalo UPS depot and I pick the items up there, claim them at the border and most of the time pay nothing, duty, or taxes depending on what mood the border guard is in.

Jim

jim davies
04-17-2007, 07:22 PM
I know from experience the fedex charges the same ripoff brokerage fees as ups.

torker
04-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys...I'm a little too far from the border to make it worth while for a simple little thing like this. I also don't know anyone in Arizona to pick it up.
It's not a huge deal but I don't like to pay these rip off broker fees.
Willy...This is a DR50 dirtbike. It's only got 4 hours or so on it and I want to fix it up like new to sell it. The rear fender is a one piece deal that the seat mounts on and it's got the side covers moulded into it as well. I actually looked at the motorcycle scrap yard but anything else will look like a cheap fix.
The kid I bought it for outgrew it in a couple of hours...so I bought him a bigger Honda XR that'll last him awhile. Ha...all the kids he rides with had "a clutch". The DR50 is an automatic 4 spd....so he was called and ol' woman rider etc...lol! That'd never do now would it?
I'm pretty impressed with the little bike for such a cheap purchase price. The Honda copy motor runs like a top and the monoshock suspension works very well. I really need to get it out of my shop though...no room :(
Russ

Willy
04-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Sorry Russ, I thought that it was this one...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/250willy/13174_lg.jpg

Hopefully they will send it USPS...I hate being had by those brokerage shysters at UPS, and the rest are probably just the same.It's gotten to the point that I will usually turn down most purchases that ship with these bandits...but sometimes when there is no one else they've got you by the short ones.No sense trying to sell something almost new with a mickey mouse fix.

I suspect the little tyke appreciates what you're doing for him.Not too many people would go to the length that you have to help someone.

torker
04-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Willy...lol! Yup the kid does appreciate it. He's the little bugger who got caught shoplifting a few months ago. He fooled me with how fast he caught onto these things.
The bikes are big leverage tool I've been using to straighten him out.
He's gone from being a video game junkie/skateboarder to a budding mechanic/motocross rider.
People nowadays make me ill sometimes.
The first thing he broke on the bike(it happens)...he asked me which shop we'd be taking it to and how soon could we get it in there. It was a broken off spark plug.
That's what he's been taught...."don't even try to do it yourself".
Well that crap doesn't fly around here :D
He's changing the brake shoes and the suspension bushings on the monoshock on the honda I got him...before he rides it again.
We'll be making the bushings on the lathe.
He just doesn't know about this yet :D

wierdscience
04-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Russ,Fedex and UPS are fixing to merge,the new company will be called Fedup.:D

Obviously there would be work for some "blackmarket"shipping companies on the boarder.Forget muling drugs in,carry freight:D

torker
04-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Russ,Fedex and UPS are fixing to merge,the new company will be called Fedup.:D

Darin...LMAO! You made me snerk peanuts out my nose :D

Willy
04-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Russ....do you need another son?
It appears I'm available for adoption.:D

garyphansen
04-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Why is the mail so slow to Canada? I air mailed something to B.C. and it took 19 days to get there. The first part of the year I mailed to boxes two the same address at the same time. One box took 6 weeks and the other box took 8 weeks. Is customs slowing everything down? Gary P. Hansen

Willy
04-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Gary I can't say that I've had too many problems with speed.I regularly send things back and forth to my brother in Denver and it's usually a five day trip either way.
Occasionally though when I've ordered something that I need yesterday it will take the better part of three weeks.But that is the exception,for the most part it's usually here in a week to ten days.

torker
04-18-2007, 12:12 AM
LOL! Willy...thanks anyway but I have enough kids (includes employees, racers needing free stuff etc.)
This "slow mail" thing is sort of embarrassing.
I bought a couple of grinding wheels from Evans wife. I was very surprised when she said she'd just send them out and I could mail the payment. Not many places do good "old fashion" business like that any more. They always want the money first.
I mailed her a money order a day or so after she sent the wheels with the final bill.
A month later I talked to her and she asked me if I was planning on sending the payment one of these days as I'd promised.
My face had to be 10 shades of red about then.
I sent it regular mail and didn't have a tracking number.
I phoned Canada Post to see if someone had cashed the money order. No record!
I was about to send her another money order when she called and told me she'd recieved the payment...over a month after I sent it.
Williams Lake is about an eight hour drive from here :(
Russ