PDA

View Full Version : OT Here I am playing in my toy

cybor462
04-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Yep ran across this pic of me a year ago in my drag car. Was real fun but boys will be boys and old men get hurt!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cybor462/mustangsmoke_1.jpg

torker
04-17-2007, 12:58 AM
Yep ran across this pic of me a year ago in my drag car. Was real fun but boys will be broke and old men will have no retirement savings!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cybor462/mustangsmoke_1.jpg
I fixed yer post for ya.(See above) (Long time blown alky racer...I know how it REALLY is)
Nice little Mustang. I'm almost hoping you made that cloud with a 5.0. I like them little motors...even if I am a Chevy/Rodeck man :D
Russ

cybor462
04-17-2007, 01:39 AM
I built a 347 stroker for it. Ran well. Yeah I hear ya. I had 30g's all told into that car.
That was all included. Mind you it went thru 3 total revisions but 30g's is 30g's!

Last run on a brand new build (nitrous motor) was running on all motor since it was not broke in yet. Went 11.4 in the 1/4
That is when I wasted my already wasted back. After 3 runs with no traction my son decided to drop the air in the slicks without telling me. When I left at 4800 rpms and it stuck I pulled a 5 foot wheel stand and was shocked so I back pedaled and it dropped then I hit it again and we went all over again. My head smacked the roll bar and sprung front and re injured my cervical spine fusion. That was the last I ever climbed into the car.
I do miss it.

mark61
04-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Ahhh the Grove. Lots of people who live for the thundering mechanical racket getting together out in the middle of farm land...
Ever been to Beaver Springs? That track is right up the road from me. Round here we got 4 kinds of people, dirt track racers, drag strip racer, horse lovers and the rest of them!

mark61

cybor462
04-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Mark.. I raced for 4 years and always found myself at Maple. I like the professionalism there. I checked out other tracks (not Beaver) and many were so run down and no kind of organization I never went to them. I heard Beaver does not even have a fire team or rescue crew. That was here-say but I never went. Heard tale of a car wrecking and they just watched it burn as they could do nothing to help.
Not sure if that is so but I guess it kept me away.

I love the smell, noise of the track. That is all coming to an end because the sanctioning bodies like NHRA, NMRA, and others are getting ready (some tracks are already there) to adopt noise limits where all cars will have to run mufflers. To me that is not racing. Of course that is waived for all main events. The big boys never have to follow the rules it seems.
I am told Englishtown requires them. I know Maple is working on the same. I guess maybe I got out at the right time. Soon gas will be outlawed and the only fuel source will be fission or hydrogen!:eek:

brucepts
04-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Round here we got 4 kinds of people, dirt track racers, drag strip racer, horse lovers and the rest of them!

mark61

And some tractor pullers, but we just stay well hidden :)

mark61
04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
And some tractor pullers, but we just stay well hidden :)

Oh yeah! Of all the people pouring endless $$$$ into engines and fun machines the tractor pullers are probably the sanest! Atleast I have yet to meet anyone who left their rent, phone and tv bills go past due during pulling season. :~)
1 of my machinist mentors built his own log skidder, front end mower and several tractors. He also made a couple 3/4 scale models of cannons at Gettysburg. The man is right up there with ole Henry Ford when it comes to mechanicals. His shop is 20 foot behind his house and about 50 foot from his mother's house. Kept him busy. Now that I am thinking of it I have to make time and go see how retirement to going for him.

Greg_B
04-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Missed the Maple Grove logo on the wall when I first looked at the Pic. Been a while since I've been there. Only live down the pike a little in Millersville. Years ago we used to hit the Grove, and Cecil County with a buddy bracket racing his 69 Camero, then the 72 Chevelle. That was after they closed York.

Guess that dates me a little bit.

Greg B