PDA

View Full Version : Super High Speed Air Drill Needed

madman
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
I do a LOT of Hand Drilling and tapping up to 3/4 tap size in dies steel plates ect. I need a really super high speed air drill rtthat wiill hold tightly a .100 diameter drill. I used to borrow one (it was yellow DUH) from a buddy at work but they Fired him cause he always cussed out the stupid boss we had named Chris E...... Anyhow i need a high speed unit. Any tips guys. Thanx Mike

Evan
04-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Die grinder with chuck.

RollaJohn
04-20-2007, 02:27 AM
We used a high speed air drill made by Chicago Pneumatic at my old work site. I don't remember the model No. We had to special order them from our CP dealer, they were an available model, just not normally stocked by anyone. Check with a good CP dealer, he should be able to come up with one that spins about twice as fast as normal.

DR
04-20-2007, 07:11 AM
I do a LOT of Hand Drilling and tapping up to 3/4 tap size in dies steel plates ect. I need a really super high speed air drill rtthat wiill hold tightly a .100 diameter drill. I used to borrow one (it was yellow DUH) from a buddy at work but they Fired him cause he always cussed out the stupid boss we had named Chris E...... Anyhow i need a high speed unit. Any tips guys. Thanx Mike

What do you consider high speed? Any old air drill with a chuck should work for the .100" drill bit.

How do you hand drill for a 3/4" tap?

ronm
04-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Die grinder with chuck.
I second that...my Matco die grinder w/a 1/4" Jacobs chuck will melt the end completely off about any drill in that size range at full throttle...(don't ask how I know this...).
Ron in CO...

madman
04-20-2007, 08:24 PM
I drill all types sizes of holes into 40 ton die castings. Some are 20 tons. Well after drilling ???? number of holes i developed a good system from lots of practice. I use a .080 to .100 usually smaller drill at super high spindle speed. Well ihave hand drilled and tapped 1/2 - 13 holes and also 3/4 -10 holes so many times i have become selective on my equipment required to do so. Thats why i need a super high speed drill for the initial .080 hole.

madman
04-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Makes a BIG differance when you are using a high speed air drill or a regular one. Ask any toolmaker who has drilled tapped a few hundred 1/2-13 0r 3/4 -10 holes by hand.