PDA

View Full Version : Just got home from Skills USA

Fasttrack
04-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Well i placed 2nd for "power equipment technology" so i have to decide whether or not i want to go to nationals...

But the good news is i got a set of snap on screwdrivers for getting second, along with a $200 weedwacker!! I'm really excited about the screwdrivers - i already compared them with my craftsman and they fit in screw slots much tighter and are more comfortable to use; maybe not worth the 100 dollars for a home shop guy, but for free they sure are sweet :D

Also, the head of our auto department was able to snag me a copy of a machining fundamentals textbook and work book. He said he wanted a copy to check out - of course our school doesnt have a machining class or even a machine shop but i guess the sales person didn't mind. (she know's our school doesnt have a machining class or machine shop). I've already learned some neat new tips and learned about some tools i'd never seen before. I'm pretty pysched about having some good bathroom literature. ;)

aostling
04-21-2007, 11:01 PM
of course our school doesnt have a machining class or even a machine shop but i guess the sales person didn't mind. (she know's our school doesnt have a machining class or machine shop).

I have no kids, so have little knowledge on what schools offer for machine shop classes these days. We got to take wood shop in eighth or ninth grade (age 13 or 14), and metal shop in high school. I guess they don't offer this anymore in the USA. Is it the same, worldwide?

Wareagle
04-21-2007, 11:20 PM
It is rather unfortunate that most of the schools around this area do not have shop classes anymore. It seems that the school districts have put the funding into sports programs and regular education rather than "mechanical education". No wander kids these days can't even change a tire :eek:

The high school I graduated from had one of the nicest auto shops around. The was no expense spared in equipment, tools, and materials. Just a couple of years after I got out, they closed down the class, and locked all of the stuff up in the shop. I tryed to buy some of the stuff from them, but was told they were going to start it back up in another year or so. The pitiful thing is they haven't had a class in over fifteen years, and last I heard that stuff was still there.

-Congrats on your achievment! Go for the nationals! Don't sit it out as you will always wander how you would have done. If/when you do go, best of luck to you!

Airkuld
04-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Well i placed 2nd for "power equipment technology" so i have to decide whether or not i want to go to nationals...

Congratulations Fasttrack! I was a power equipment technology judge at the Illinois competition in Springfield for about 6 years some 11 years ago. Participating in a national event can look pretty good on a resume irregardless of the subject matter the competition covered. I'd encourage you to consider it - It can be a good experience for you. Last year, a friend's son competed in the world Skills contest in Copenhagen, Denmark. Thats an experience he'll remember for a long, long time!

Your Old Dog
04-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Congratulations Fasttrack! I was a power equipment technology judge at the Illinois competition in Springfield for about 6 years some 11 years ago. Participating in a national event can look pretty good on a resume irregardless of the subject matter the competition covered. I'd encourage you to consider it - It can be a good experience for you. Last year, a friend's son competed in the world Skills contest in Copenhagen, Denmark. Thats an experience he'll remember for a long, long time!

I think Airkuld is right. Don't blow off the nationals. How many resumes crossing a bosses desk are gonna have something like that on them? Congratulations!

wierdscience
04-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Congrats on a job well done!

Evan
04-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Congratulations from me too! What exactly did you do and/or enter to win?

lynnl
04-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Yes, by all means, a hearty congratulations!!

Bill in Ky
04-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Congradulations are in order, for a job well done. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Fasttrack
04-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys! It was actually pretty fun, i hadn't been able to participate earlier because the test dates conflicted with my HMV (High Mileage Vehicle) participation. This year the HMV competition was a week earlier so i was able to go to state. I met some pretty interesting people and got to take a look at some really nice shops.

Evan -
I did the "power equipment technology" test which is basically on small engines. I took a written test for regionals and then the state competition had 19 stations with six minutes at each. One station was looking up part numbers, one was setting valve lash, one was measuring cylinder bore/out-of-round/taper and making a recommendation, one was about theory of operation, one was soldering, one was testing electrical components, one was identifying tools and parts, etc. Various companies made donnations (matco, snap-on and midwest engines in my case) to the skills usa organization and that was where the prizes came from.

I think i could have done much better at state but the first two stations kinda threw me for a loop - i'm not used to working under time pressure and i was sorta nervous so i fumbled with some valve spring retainers for a while and fumbled with a straw looking for TDC which used up quite a bit of time at each station. Oh well! Once i got into the swing of things it went pretty well. Everyone started at different stations and i kinda wished i had started at one of the easy stations like parts ID just to sorta get relaxed but no biggy.

They also had a "precision machining" "cnc milling" and "cnc turning" competitions. Might have been fun to take the written test for precision machining - i wouldn't have known have of the stuff but it'd be interesting just to see how much i don't know. The practical part would have been tough for me since i've never worked on any full-size equipment :D

abn
04-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Well done, performing under time and observation isn't easy...if you're good at something and get a chance for recognition on a national level I would jump at the chance.