Published 1918
Small, Manyard and
company
261 pages
Original from Stanford University
Digitized Mar 14, 2006
Interesting title
Can be purchased as a reprint or availabe for free download
http://books.google.com/books?id=R3cZ--h_PC8C&dq=boys+book+of+engine+building&psp=1
Could be interesting for the model engine builders.
Tin

Wareagle
04-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks, Tin! I downloaded the book and briefly looked through it. There should be some ideas that will come out of it. As my son gets a few years older, I am wanting to take him under my wing and teach him that there is more to life than video games and MTV.

cybor462
04-28-2007, 12:08 AM
I hear you. I bought a Mustang and had my son help me rebuild the engine and tranny just to do it. It did not need it but my son spent every minute in front of the playstation. We took that away and then he sat in front of the computer playing games.

He now drives that Mustang every day, maintains it, upgrades it, and has learned to use his hands for more than gaming. He is proud of what he has done and shows it off to his friends.

Seems like it worked for the better this time.

Mike W
04-28-2007, 01:47 AM
cybor462, what year Mustang does your son have? I have a 65 and a couple of 69's.

BadDog
04-28-2007, 01:55 AM
I have several extra trucks modified for different off road uses. One is pretty street able, and my son like it, so I let him drive it to school and work as he was building his own. The motor is quite modified and runs rather well along with being built very heavy duty from one end to the other. Typical teenager, he got to showing off for his friends. Well, the "heavy duty" part is not intended for over reving burnouts spinning 35" BFG ATs through a 4.56 Detroit locker (which it is quite good at in any case). He eventually put a rod through the side before I realized what he was doing with it.

So, he got to empty his savings that was intended for his truck to buy a short block for mine, pay to have the SR Torquer heads decked and repaired (damaged valve, guide, and seat), new roller cam, etc. He also got to spend a few weekends pulling, tearing down (he got all the nasty greasy work :D ), and then finally rebuilding the motor. Funny how he now has a whole lot more respect for vehicles in particular, and other people's stuff in general. Plus he learned a lot...

chesapeake
04-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Tin! I downloaded the book and briefly looked through it. There should be some ideas that will come out of it. As my son gets a few years older, I am wanting to take him under my wing and teach him that there is more to life than video games and MTV.

I followed the link but can't seem to find where you have the option of downloading it ? Where did you see that ?

Lew Hartswick
04-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I followed the link but can't seem to find where you have the option of downloading it ? Where did you see that ?
looks like "read this book" and then print the screens would work.
Didn't try it.
...lew...

Tin Falcon
04-28-2007, 10:34 AM
left side of screen under book cover icon that says download pdf right click on it and select save as.
Tin

PTSideshow
04-28-2007, 11:07 AM
yep it worked slicker than a spilled oil can!:D

Carld
04-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Saved it without even looking at it. I love steam engines.

Tin Falcon
04-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Guys:
Good to hear the downloads are working for you. There are actualy a dozen or so books of interest her. When i tryed to download it did about 2mb said it was done but nothing would open chiked the dial up conection I guess.
Tin

matador
04-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Quote:"
left side of screen under book cover icon that says download pdf right click on it and select save as."Unquote.
Is it perhaps restricted to USA only?I don't get any "pdf" anywhere either.When I mouse over the book,it says"read this book",but it's not a clickable link.:(
I even went direct to Stanford website,but that's a nightmare:D.

PTSideshow
04-29-2007, 06:45 AM
Could very well be that is the case as they still haven't worked out all the kinks with the publishers, and big time copyright owners and other countries. As the plan is to sell e books, print it now books in the furture and charge for them but not share with the copyright owners. If the material is still owned.

So they my only let the USA addys download stuff. And yes to read the boks or sections of books you need to download the PDF :D

cybor462
04-29-2007, 09:43 AM
cybor462, what year Mustang does your son have? I have a 65 and a couple of 69's.
Mike his Mustang is a Fox body 1983. His is somewhat collectible as it is a true GT (ser # denotes it) and it is a color scheme that only 1800 were made that year.
He is working on the body now as all the mechanical things are done.

Bad Dog.. I hear that. I know my son must push this car too. All part of being young, dumb, and having fun! But what you made your son do,, step up and pay with money, sweat, tears is the way to go. As you said, he will now know the true meaning of responsibility. Good Job! Not enough parents teach that anymore.

PolskiFran
04-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the link Tin. It is 8.54MB, it is a long download for dialup. I was looking at the reprint of this book at the last CFE. I decided not to buy it because it was most of the simpler projects. But it is a good read for the basics.

Thanks,
Frank

jones
04-30-2007, 02:35 AM
OK, if you are not in the US (like me) you can download it by going through a proxy server. You can go to www.projectbypass.com and copy/paste the address in the box. After I did this I could download the book.

Thanks.

PTSideshow
04-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Cool great to know I have some people that will be happy now.

chesapeake
04-30-2007, 07:00 AM
OK, if you are not in the US (like me) you can download it by going through a proxy server. You can go to www.projectbypass.com and copy/paste the address in the box. After I did this I could download the book.

Thanks.

This worked fine.....Thanks a bunch.