PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs 20N drill chuck

gearhead
04-22-2007, 12:11 PM
How difficult is it to rebuild a jacobs drill chuck. I have a 20N that is very tight when you use the chuck key to open it up. It will rotate fine until about the half way open position and then get very tight, but it will open up all the way..It closes with ease. I have used oil and the like with little to no change.

IOWOLF
04-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Pull it apart and stone the rough spots.

mochinist
04-22-2007, 12:56 PM
http://www.beautifuliron.com/jacobs.htm

BadDog
04-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Very easy to go through these, the jacobs site has clear instructions. But a rebuild is expensive if you buy a new kit.

gearhead
04-22-2007, 01:26 PM
I guess I have to find someone with a press..

Lew Hartswick
04-22-2007, 05:21 PM
I just did some experimenting on a "shot" gear chuck, a Jocobs clone I guess.
Here is the results :
http://home.earthlink.net/~lhartswick/drillchuck
Hope I got that right. If not I'll try to correct it. :-)
...lew... Yep it worked.

IOWOLF
04-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Thank you for that ,Lew

mikeped
04-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Gearhead, Place the chuck arbor loosely between the jaws of a vise. Use a brass drift to tap the outer sleeve down. Many times it's as simple as this. If not, no problem to rebuild. New jaws and nut are not cheep but less than a new chuck. Mike

DR
04-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Geez, a Jacobs dealer told me they no longer supply rebuild kits for drill chucks. Too bad if it's true. Or maybe he just told me that cause he doesn't stock them.

gearhead
04-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the help on this. Still can't figure out why it would be tough to rotate the chuck jaws to the open position, but no effort to rotate the jaws to the closed position.

CCWKen
04-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Take it apart and clean it first. It may just have chips in the jaw threads or thread collar. My old 1903 Jacobs was locked up. Took it apart and it was full of chips and old hard grease. Works like new now. (Or whatever new in 1903 was. ;) )

BadDog
04-23-2007, 02:51 AM
Jacobs Chuck is now owned by an abomination known as "Danaher Group". Best I can tell they are a typical corporate raider holding company run by typical MBA drones chasing maximized short term returns at the expense of quality and service. This is why most folks tell you not to buy brand new Jacobs chucks off the shelf, they are apparently not anywhere near as good as the old. (Admittedly, this is hear say, but from more than one source; people who live and breath by quality tools) However, they do still sell kits (at least for Super Chucks) as I looking into rebuilding an 18N a while back. But with the cost of a kit meeting (sometimes exceeding) the cost of "as new" and "still in the box" 18Ns on ebay and local auctions, I passed on the kit.

Danaher Group Tech page (http://www.jacobschuck.com/support.asp#2)

And to back up my assertion on cost, I wound up getting an 18N off ebay that appears to have never been used (which was true to the auction description), just had "patina" from setting on some guy's shelf in Upstate NY for a few years. The jaws were flawless and still had the tiny triple ridges on each jaw (they pretty much wipe off the first time you spin a drill in the chuck). Seems like I paid $75 (shipped) for that chuck, and the kits are, if memory serves, about $90 for loose ball (older style) kits and $120 for the newer caged ball kits.

Oh, and I saw some 16N kits a while back on ebay. Seems like they sold for about 1/3 retail.

CCWKen
04-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Jacobs Chuck is now owned by an abomination known as "Danaher Group". Best I can tell they are a typical corporate raider holding company run by typical MBA drones chasing maximized short term returns at the expense of quality and service.

Before you go taking stabs at Danaher, you should go read their platform vitae.
http://www.danaher.com/business/strategic.asp

Not only are they heavily involved in tooling like Matco, they are a serious aerospace contributor. Included in their "holdings" are names like Fluke, Leica, Delta Consolidated Industries, Hennessy Industries, Jacobs Chuck Manufacturing Company and Jacobs Vehicle Systems. Danaher is far from being a fly-by-night corporation and is in business to make money. It's kept many companies from closing it's doors.

Curtail your attempts to promote here-say rumors and give thanks that companies like this are able to maintain a manufacturing presents in the USA. You may be so used to the cheap Asian substitutes, you loose sight of the price of US quality at a fair US wage supporting price.

BadDog
04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm told that not only Jacobs, but other "previously high quality" tool names were bought by Danaher and started going steadily down hill in quality, reduced parts/service availability, transferred to China/Mexico/etc., and so on.

But as I clearly stated a bit after that part you quoted, that is "admittedly hear say", though I have heard it more than once from folks who know the industry and tools better than I do. It also easily fits the pattern I see over and over with pretty much all holding/raider (matter of opinion) companies like Danaher, so right or wrong, I tend to believe it. But I do not attempt to pass it off as "fact" as I couldn't begin to back it up with anything concrete. Which brings us back to my open disclaimer of repeating hear-say...

BadDog
04-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Oh, and I do use ChiCom tools for some things. Along with my Bridgeport, Rockwell, multiple Jacobs and Albrecht Chucks (not a ChiCom in the bunch), Hardinge, and so on.

But I do sincerely apologize for my throwing out "abomination" before. I just get so sick of MBA run companies and the short sighted games they play, (which HURT fair wages and the US in general as they live off the inertia of past quality associated with their name, even as they start producing more and more overseas, while keeping premium prices of course!) that I let my emotional response annotate unsupported hear-say. Again, sorry for that...