PDA

View Full Version : Home from N.A.M.E.S.

jdunmyer
04-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, I made it back home from the show, and what a show it was! Saturday was busy, busy, busy. with folks 3 and 4 deep in front of my table at times. I chatted with several vendors on Sunday who reported being quite happy with their sales figures, at least on Saturday. Attendance was very much lower on Sunday, perhaps because attendees realize that many exhibitors leave on Saturday. That part is a shame, but it's not possible to require folks to stay for both days. (It's my understanding that Vendors are required to stay until 4:00 on Sunday, which is a Good Thing; there's at least SOMETHING for attendees to see)

This show was very interesting for me, as it's common for visitors to understand what they're looking at on my table, unlike many at the antique tractor/engine shows that I'm normally exhibiting at. ("Is that a steam engine?" "What makes it go?") It's also common for folks to inform you that they have built one of [whatever it is that you're exhibiting] or is thinking about it. All in all, a high level of visitor.

Sunday saw more locals at the show, from what I noticed, also a bit lower level of knowlege. (see above paragraph) However, the interest was just as high as on Saturday.

It seemed like there were many more exhibitors there this year; last year it seemed to me like it was mostly vendors. The skill level on display is truly humbling to me, there are some people out there that really, really care about their work. Although I didn't take a survey, I'd guess that the higher percentage are not formally trained machinists. And not all of them have a BridgePort and large lathe, there's lots of great work being done with mill/drills and smaller lathes.

Everyone's familiar with Sherline equipment: Someone built scale models of Sherline machines, both mill and lathe. Looked to be about 1/4-scale. How do people work with those fiddley little parts??!!??

It'd be nice to have the educational sessions during NON-show hours, if you're exhibiting, it's not possible to get away. Heck, it's hard to get around the hall at all w/o abandoning your exhibit, unless you have someone to pair up with. I was lucky in that regard, as my cousin was with me, showing off a couple of his Stirling engines, so we could spell each other now and then.

It's also interesting to find out where everyone was from. Besides the fella from France with his Ferrari, we chatted with a guy from Mexico who showed us an iPod video of his version of the HSM Stirling. We asked him if he was coming back next year, and would he bring his engine, and he answered in the affirmative, quite enthusiastically.

I'll sign off now, am a bit tuckered out from the drive home. All 25 minutes of it. :-)

Wareagle
04-22-2007, 07:41 PM
You guys talking about the N.A.M.E.S. show are really making me angry! Here I am so far away from the show, have a hard time getting away, and now I get all of the great things about the show listed on this board.

To top that off, now I will have to pony up the money to make the trip up there next year, and that money could be used for tools, materials, etc. :D

It sounds like a great time! Glad you had a successful show. I'll have to make it up next year!

Tin Falcon
04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
J D:
Yes those shows are great Have not made it to names. I have done Cabin Fever . Same deal packed on Saterday slow on Sunday. But you can not blame the guys that have to leave, some travel hundreds of miles to be there and many have to be back to work on monday. I make it a habit of staying to the end. York is about a three hour drive for me.
Attendance can be strange though last year it was elbow to elbow by 9:30. This year it was not as busy first thing but I think the afternoon attendance was up. I think a lot of folks were hoping the crowd would subside by the afternoon.
You are fortunate to be so close to names.
Tin

Alguy
04-22-2007, 08:10 PM
I got back a hour or so ago , it was truly impressive , the work that a skilled person can do. I t was great i enjoyed it , i met Niel and renewd my subscriptions, also did see Cecil and his Brownings they looked nice in person
He was helpfull explaining a couple things to me. Over i would say there are some incredible craftsman exibiting ant names,, There prolly is another names in my future

rkepler
04-22-2007, 10:00 PM
I was at the show but won't be home until Thursday or so - about 1700 miles from now. I didn't bring anything as I simply didn't have room in the car - I picked up a Bridgeport slotting head in southern Ohio on the way and have managed to put a Red Wing casting kit in the trunk as well.

PTSideshow
04-23-2007, 07:57 AM
What the deal is,the exhibitors are getting up in age. And the attending health problems. In talking to more than a few that leave on Saturday afternoon before the show closes. The biggest issue after the spouse having had her fill of breathing fuel fumes for two days. Is failing night vision while driving. The people who drive a great distance, like to get as many miles in before night fall and get a motel. so they can get up have breakfast and leave as first light starts.
The third reason is they want to attend services on Sunday, at their home church, or their spouse does.
The vendors are asked to stay till four pm on Sunday. But as it happens some pull out early. Most of the vendors that have a little inventory or only take orders. tend to leave early. Most of the dealers where doing a brisk biz over the days they where set up from Thursday afternoon when they statred unloading.
It does make it bad for walk ins late Sunday afternoon but anybody that has asked for their money back after walking in and seeing more table top than models would get it if they didn't walk around to look.
From all points of view this year was a good show. Alot of old iron found new homes. And a lot of shops got new toys and bits and pieces. Just hope the guys take it out of thier clothes before the wife washes them :D

BobWarfield
04-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Are there any other good shows throughout the rest of 2007, or was this it?

Best,

BW

PTSideshow
04-23-2007, 01:09 PM
I haven't gotten a copy of what is callled now the farm collector show directory. It was called steam and gas show directory and they had two seperate boks but with the number of shows in all the hobbies declinining with the passing of the older collectors. They combined the two books.Nobody was selling them at the NAMES show this year. So I will order from here.
http://www.steamtraction.com/shopping/detail.aspx?ItemNumber=2859
It covers steam IC gas old equipment and farm/tractor shows ect. over the US and Canada. This year they have included a fold out map.

cmiller231
04-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I thought it was a real nice show. Noticed that there seemed to be more gattling gun / machine gun displays than a few years ago.Missed the last couple years.Really enjoyed them .
As others have noted there is probably a growing number over 60 included my self.Just a thought, would it be possible to have 10-15 metal chairs through out the display area.?Maybe they would make it too crowed.This would give people with phyiscal problems a break. I noticed there was chairs in the main aisle leading in,They were full when i left noon Sat Chris

PTSideshow
04-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Well the biggest two problems are with chairs, most of the city owned joints like Sea gate only have one style and height of chairs. Also the fire marshall and the convention mandate 10 foot wide isles. I think that 8 foot wide are standard for fire lanes but the sea gate has a wide body genie and it needs every bit of the ten feet. So since they both are city dept's well you know the drill. Will pass along the info about more chairs in the common open areas. Since I was told that I now have the ear of a newly appointed board member. A long time freind :D
don't know if anything can be done about higher seat levels on the chairs for people our age with bad knee ect. The were full a lot of the week end mostly with old farts BS'ing each other with
woppers :rolleyes: