PDA

View Full Version : OT/ Georgia burning???

torker
04-24-2007, 08:22 AM
I just saw the big fires on CNN. I hope David Cofer isn't in the way of any of that.
Our town was in danger of burning a few years ago. It's pretty spooky.
Russ

jr45acp
04-24-2007, 09:27 AM
David is a long, long way from the fires! On the other hand, I live approximately 62 miles from that area. We are getting some of the smoke off of the fire. Yep, it's a scary situation!!!!!!!! Please pray for rain.

Evan
04-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Forest fire is the one natural disaster that we have to worry about here. No tornadoes, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, floods or plagues of locusts. Fires are a threat every year and the threat is growing. It's also the one threat that would leave nothing to salvage. It gets extremely nervous here when the smoke blots out the sun and the water bombers are operating in the vicinity as they have in past years.

Willy
04-24-2007, 10:30 AM
No plague of locusts but what is probably worse is the plague of pine beetles.Instead of eating everything as the locusts would, the pine beetle just kills the trees leaving millions of acres of dead forest.
Every summer the whole province turns into an explosive tinderbox.I used to look forward to the summer months, but now I worry more and more every year.Nothing one can do about the ever present danger of lightning, but the monkeys out there that have discovered fire is what scares me the most.

Evan
04-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Yep. I cut down my dead pine trees last year. Fortunately most of my trees are fir trees. Unfortunately, they burn too.

[added] I guess "plague of locusts" wasn't a very good example...

Willy
04-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Evan I'm sure you are aware of the fact that your area of the province is right in the middle of the beetle epidemic. Although I constantly hear of the escalation in beetle kill affected areas, I had no idea of the magnitude until I saw this page that graphically shows how far the plague has spread from 1999-2006, and a projection of expected damage to 2014.
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hre/bcmpb/cumulative/1999.htm

dirty old man
04-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Sorry to hear that the pine beetle has spread to B.C., we've had them for at least 50 years here in GA and they can really destroy a stand of mature timber.
As for the fires here in GA, David Cofer is as I understand it near Chattanooga Tenn. at the extreme NW corner of GA, and the fires are around the NNW end of the Okeefenokee (sp?) Swamp, deep in SE GA, approx. 300 miles away.
I have a friend and former co-worker who lives near the swamp out in the piney woods and palmetto bushes from the tiny hamlet of ST. George, GA.
Called him Sun. evening to ask him about it's proximity to his home, as I wasn't sure then just which side of the swamp had the fire. He set me straight on that. He is SE of swamp.
The smoke from the fire has passed me here in Griffin (NW central part of GA), thru Atlanta, and on to Chattanooga. My friend says that they have gotten quite a bit of ash fallout in his area when the wind is right.
The fire has entered the swamp itself now. Once inside the swamp park grounds proper, the only fire fighting done is around the swamp to contain the fire and protect timberlands and private property off the park.
Once the fire gets into that peat moss in the swamp and sets it afire, the only thing that will stop it is enough rain to completely immerse the areas on fire.
Further scientists, etc. involved in the study of the swamp and it's ecological needs say the swamp needs a big fire once in awhile to burn the peat moss out so that the swamp can hold the necessary water to support the resident wildlife. The wilslife there is awesome and diverse. I have twice visitd the swamp, rented a boat and gone for miles into the swamp on marked trails.
So, it's not entirely a black and white issue of putting out a forest fire!
Dave

Boomer
04-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Somebody tell cheryl crowe she's only allowed half a square now.

dirty old man
04-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Boomer, would you please tell me WTH Cheryl Crowe's got to do with this?
Dave

wierdscience
04-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Boomer, would you please tell me WTH Cheryl Crowe's got to do with this?
Dave

Something about,"people should be limited to fewer sheets per sitting,saving the planet,blah,blah,blablah,I'm a dingbat,blah,blah,never mind my gigantic tour bus,blah,blah,saving the planet.The usual acid trip celebrity enviromentalist voodoo chant.She later tried to say she was joking,which was an obvious ploy to hide her stupidity.

Me I'm building a toilet paper dispenser that accepts only carbon offset credits.I'll make millions off the envirodimwits since thier so full of s---:D

dirty old man
04-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Well, I guess I'm still in the dark, as I can find nothing whatsoever relevant to the topic at hand in the comments of Boomer or the last of weird science.
We were talking first about the swamp fire and then about the pine beetle and his propensity to create fuel for forest fires.
Now we got stuff about a singer and about "Envirodimwits"!
WTH????????????????????
Dave

Dawai
04-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Dang my ears been burning.. who dat been talkin about lil me?

http://bbssystem.com/files/thumbs/t_dscn2164_141.jpg

She's big white as a refrigerator and carried my arse 5 1/2 hours this morning.
I do have the windshield off it.. and the wind wings, and the rear bags off the crash bars.. If it ain't needed, it should not be on there. I been eyeballin them disc rotor covers.

blue-red Kameleon paint in the UPS truck heading this way.. a quick Refrigerator cover up..

NOWHERE near the fire guys..

madman
04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Dave shes sure Shiny. Can i take er out for a good run to clean the carbon outa her??? Mike (ex IDBS DRAG RACER BUT DONT WORRY IM RETIRED ILL BE GENTLE HAHA) PS did you get some nice loud pipes for er yet??? I like the open fishtail pipes. Cops cant jam there nightsticks up em to check for baffles. Later ride safe Mike (PS Nice Bike Dave)

madman
04-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Yup step on any you see, My Buddy Jerry bit one in half years ago at a Biker Field Party while stoned on acid. I laughed a lot that night (mushrooms??) Later Mike

Dawai
04-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Mike:

Its got Porker pipes, has baffles but barks right real good.

I had a friend who let a pro drag racer ride his harley down the track, he tried to wind it up to sound like the Suzuki at 8 grand, unfortunatly, that took the bottom out of the harley block. OOPS.. I need this one to last long enough to ride around and visit all my friends over the next year or so. YOU baby them on the road, whip them around the house.

I just got a wood tick out of my beard, it was latched in pretty good, had a nice ball of meat around his head, this was after we looked for the vaseline to make him turn loose, you poke a wad around the tick, it disturbs the tick so bad worrying about what you are about to do with the vaseline (he he), he turns loose and tries to crawl away.. At that point you pluck him off and give him a viking funeral.. just for fun.. Lex would not allow yard chickens to pick up the ticks, looks like a bad year for them.
Neighbors game chickens were in the next yard, Lex took off after them, hit the fence wide open, I swear his arse passed his head and he liked to flipped inside out.. THE chain link made a screeching sound. Like that dog that chases Foghorn leghorn.. WHAM to the end of the chain..

madman
05-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Well sounds Like Lex sure aint chicken LOL.

dirty old man
05-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Just an update on the fires that were the original subject of this thread.
The fires have now spread into NE FLA, and between GA and FLA have burned over 200K acres.
There seems to be no way to stop the fires unless we get somw major rain. Many homes have been burnt and several small towns have been evacuated.
New fires are starting up here and there, some from lightning strikes and some from arsonists, some of whom have been caught.
Just talked again to the wife of my friend in St. George, GA and she said there are fires all around the area, but so far no evacuation ordered for their area. Town of Moniac, about 15-20 miles to their West has been evacuated several days ago.
The area threatened in Fla is near I10 hwy and if it gets across, no telling when or where they can stop it without heavy rain.
Dave