View Full Version : What is this type of micrometer used for?

04-24-2007, 09:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/STARRETT-MICROMETER_W0QQitemZ270112639966QQihZ017QQcategory Z29525QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I haven't seen this type of mic before.


04-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Looks like a can seam micrometer to me.


04-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Kevin, but the Starrett site shows a different style for "Stainless Steel Can Seams". Maybe there are more than one style though.



04-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Looks like a can seam micrometer to me.


Yes, the current Starrett catalog shows something similar, no. 208, Can Seam Micrometer. Not your typical HF item!

04-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Special Tool # 96

04-24-2007, 10:33 PM
I can't quite make out the number on the thimble; but it could be made up of a micrometer head and a purpose made anvil. One company I worked for used to buy a lot of Starrett micrometer heads and adapt them to all sorts of gadgets

I agree, it doesn't quite match the can seam micrometer in the catalog.

The notches on the back are curious also.


04-24-2007, 10:47 PM
I think you might have nailed it Kevin. The number is 463 something, which ties in with "Micrometer Heads" in their catalog here http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/search.asp?SrchType=4&SrchKey=463&Execute=+++++GO+++++&SrchMatch=2&PageMode=ByProd

Thanks to all for the replies.
One of lifes little curiosities! I'll bet it was good for whatever it was meant to measure :)


04-25-2007, 07:26 AM
It looks like a seam micrometer that has been further modified. The 207 & 208 seam micrometers do not have the ratchet or lock. The 208 body does not appear to be as long and lacks the grooves of the micrometer in the auction.

Rusty Marlin
04-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Looks like the anvil/body was made to nest in a gage support, something we frequently do here. The shape of the anvil with the large curved surface says to me its for measuring thin-film thinkness.

Custom unit with a Starret micrometer head.

04-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Kinda looks like something youll never ever need.

Rich Carlstedt
04-26-2007, 12:40 AM
I think it is a Can Mike all right, but not a Seam Mike which is what a 208DS is.
I believe it is a Can "End" mike to measure the Flange on a end (lid)
which is around .220 as I recall, and the curl height is about .110.
So when you stack ends, you get 9 per inch.
The 9 notches may equal one inch for a quick check ??