PDA

View Full Version : Metal punch

gearhead
04-26-2007, 08:44 PM
A good friend of mine who has a custom engine shop has asked me to make him a long punch to knock out rear end bearings. Here's my question, should I make the punch out of Stainless Steel or drill rod. The punch is not really for knocking the h*ll out of something it is just supposed to reach into a housing and push out the old bearings.
Which is the best material to make the shaft portion out of. Needs to be somewhat hard to last.

lane
04-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Just about any material would do. CRS ,4140 , 1020 .

dp
04-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Black iron pipe with a brass plug on one end and a lead plug (or brass) on the other.

Wareagle
04-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Not knowing what exactly you are trying to make, I am going to toss this out there to be chewed up. When I am working on engines, I try to use soft materials for pushing, prying, and poking so I don't damage a component.

I have some brass round stock that I keep handy, as well as some oak dowels. They don't last a very long time with use, but I haven't hurt anything yet, either. It is much easier on the pocket book to buy a piece of brass than it is to buy a block.

Joel
04-26-2007, 09:51 PM
If you really need the shaft to be "somewhat hard", O-1 or W-1 would be cheap, fast and easy.

wierdscience
04-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Grade 8 bolt,chop the head off and turn down the threads to fit the ID of the pipe,weld it in with a couple tacks.Use a Grade 5 on the end you strike,but put a largish chamfer on the end,something like 3/16 or 1/4" wide.

Made several of them this way,they work good and last.Tell your pal those bearings are much easier to remove if he knocks the rollers out and runs a bead of weld all the way around the inside of the bearing race.The weld makes the bearing contract a little and allows it to come out with a couple hits instead of 20:D