PDA

View Full Version : O.T. cell phone storage

greyhawk200
04-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I bought a cell phone for emergencies only (car) and I would like to leave it in the car but Iím afraid the high temp that the car gets up to will kill it. Anybody doing that? Any tips? Should I worry?
Ben

jcc3inc
04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I keep one in the car along with the wire set to allow it to be recharged from the cigarette lighter socket. I don't believe the heat will damage the circuit , but might hurry the demise of the battery.

Regards,
Jack C.

Wareagle
04-27-2007, 05:13 PM
I had a cell phone in the past that was stored in the truck and it had a gradual decrease in volume. It got tot he point that I could not hear anything onit unless I was in a perfectly quiet environment. I put up with this for some time before giving up and getting a new phone.

The tech at my service provider said that the problem was because of the heat in the truck. And I have also heard of several other people having the same issue with phones of different types and brands. I am not sure if this is a "snake oil" explanation or not, but it is funny that I wasn't the only one who had it happen.

Any way you slice it, the heat cannot be good for the electronics or battery.

matador
04-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I seem to remember something about bags made from a reflective material.
They did have insulating properties,so might be worth a look.

Frank K
04-27-2007, 07:14 PM
The heat will probably hasten the self discharge of the battery but I doubt it will have much effect on the electronics. Look at the dash of a modern luxury car - GPS, radio, CD changer, etc. A couple of hours parked in the summer sun and the top of the dash is hot enough to fry eggs but everything works just fine as soon as you hop in and fire up.

cybor462
04-27-2007, 10:04 PM
It's not the electronics but the piezo style speakers. They use a real thin membrane which is effected by heat. Car speakers are not made that way so they are not effected as much but are effected. Just takes years to show up.

Those bags are a joke. The heat builds inside them with no way to get out. its like a double edged sword.

Ok I am no expert but I have been thru this before.

Too_Many_Tools
04-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Try using a SMALL insulated cooler to store the cell phone in.

TMT