PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some new catalogs.

cybor462
04-27-2007, 11:34 PM
After a long dry spell I finally got my catalogs. I want to have a choice and not have to be a hostage to only a few companies. Case in point I have been buying much from Grizzly since it always seems they send me a dozen catalogs a month. They always keep their company in front of us.

I feel I have paid too much at times, Face Mill other post, when I could have got it cheaper other places.

Ebay... I seem to steer clear as I just can't seem to stay away from getting lost. I end up looking for hours and get mad at myself for allowing myself to get off topic.

BadDog
04-28-2007, 01:01 AM
I find I buy from Enco most often as they have stuff from cheap to high quality, almost always for less money than competitors. So definitely get that one. Stuff that quality really doesn't much affect and I want to get it cheaper than I can buy materials, I order from Shars or maybe pick up at HF. Case in point, going to pick up some canvas drop cloths from HF tomorrow to make covers for my machines. I hate those plastic tarps. So I suggest getting those two as well, for what stuff is appropriate at that grade. I also get MSC, J&L, Rutland, and Penn which have decent deals once in a while, but rarely do any of them beat Enco on the same item. For targeted stuff, don't forget Boston Gear, Phase II, and Norton. I even have Graingers and SOMEDAY hope to add McMaster's catalog to the stack...

Dan Craig
04-28-2007, 02:34 AM
If you can get a McMaster catalog from McMaster - please let me know how you do it. My company has been a customer for years and the last catalog they sent us was #106. Any request simply gets met with: use the online version.

I see them on ebay, but it seems a little strange buying a current catalog from a 3rd party.

IOWOLF
04-29-2007, 07:37 AM
I am going to chime in on this,A catalog does more for you than thin your wallet.
Most catalogs now have charts and guides for drill bits, taps,end mills,and so much more,even a chart for inserts,so you know what your buying on Ebay.:)

cybor462
04-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Bad Dog.. I agree with you..I finally got my Enco 2007 and I find myself buying from them quite often since their prices are very good. But they do not offer it all and having others catalogs is good when looking for that stuff. I found out that since these catalogs are very expensive Enco prints them when needed. If you ask them they will print one for you as in my case. Way to go Enco!!!

Dan... I too want a Mc Masters and have been told by them that they only print a few and basically only a few special customers get them.
That turned me off right away. I guess all of us others are not worthy of their gold worldly catalog. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside and will keep me looking and buying from the other guys. That attitude stinks.
If they are too costly to print as I know they are, then either print enough for all or do not print them at all.

Iowolf..lets get real.. a catalog is an advertising media for a company to attract new customers and sell their product to all that use it. Yes, it may have charts and useful info in it as a plus.... but if I am looking for technical info or a book I will look online or buy the book that has the needed info I am looking for. I bought the Machinery Handbook, I did not try to find a catalog with some of the same info and get that instead. Graingers has many useful tidbits in theirs too,, I have theirs but they are not holding people hostage for their book because they have some technical info in it. Open an account an they freely give you a catalog.

When I went on Ebay and saw a Mc Masters Carr catalog selling for $85 I was floored. Makes you wonder if that is exactly what they (McMasters) are trying to do. One thing that makes you go hmmmmm.....

pntrbl
04-29-2007, 09:34 AM
My brother works for McMaster Carr and tells me the catalogs are indeed very expensive. Something about the paper coming all the way from Germany. OTOH their online catalog is one of the best.

Great company to work for BTW. Still privately held and while their pay isn't astronomical their employee benefits are out of this world. Annual bonuses that can be over 5 figures. College tuition for my nieces and nephews on the company. Free medical, dental, vision, life, etc. In this day and age a company that takes care of it's people this well is unheard of.

He also can buy anything McMaster sells at cost ...... which makes me a regular customer.

SP

pntrbl
04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
My brother works for McMaster Carr and tells me the catalogs are indeed very expensive. Something about the paper coming all the way from Germany. OTOH their online catalog is one of the best.

Great company to work for BTW. Still privately held and while their pay isn't astronomical their employee benefits are out of this world. Annual bonuses that can be over 5 figures. College tuition for my nieces and nephews on the company. Free medical, dental, vision, life, etc. In this day and age a company that takes care of it's people this well is unheard of.

He also can buy anything McMaster sells at cost ...... which makes me a regular customer.:D

SP

RUJOCO
04-29-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm just a hobby guy, I've never had a problem getting a catalog by internet site request. I'm lucky I guess. I get the big catalogs from 8 companies and endless fliers from all the usual guys.I imagine there is cost involved for the company but I think it's still a wise investment for them. I can see a day comming when catalogs will be a thing of the past , with this internet thing growing by leaps and bounds.

It is nice to look through these catalogs and see all the things available that you never even knew existed.When you look through a Msc, Travers,Reid or Monroe There is a lot of useful information. I do use the reference tables alot that they provide. I hope they don't dissapear within my lifetime ,sometimes it's easier to find things in a catalog than trying to track it down on the computer.

cybor462
04-29-2007, 10:27 AM
It is nice to look through these catalogs and see all the things available that you never even knew existed.When you look through a Msc, Travers,Reid or Monroe There is a lot of useful information. I do use the reference tables alot that they provide. I hope they don't dissapear within my lifetime ,sometimes it's easier to find things in a catalog than trying to track it down on the computer.

Rudy got to ask..would you pay $85 for a Mc Masters catalog off ebay because it has the reference table you mentioned? Some here tried to justify the cost because it has those tables and other tech stuff. I do not think it worth that price for them.

lazlo
04-29-2007, 10:45 AM
My brother works for McMaster Carr and tells me the catalogs are indeed very expensive. Something about the paper coming all the way from Germany.

There's a simple solution for that :)

McMaster does use that fancy velum paper for their catalogs. I'm guessing that's because the paper catalog is so rare that if you ever get your hands on one you have to pass it down to your descendants :D

One of the guys on PM sent me a McMaster catalog last year -- I spent at least a day leafing through it. McMaster got several hundred dollars out of that "transaction."

McMaster does have a great online catalog, but I wish they would let you cut-and-paste the link for a particular item to send to other people. Their online catalog uses a Javascript lookup system, so the best you can do is reference the McMaster part number, which is less convenient.

He also can buy anything McMaster sells at cost ...... which makes me a regular customer.:D

Oh wow, that's awesome! McMaster is the wonderland of industrial suppliers, but their prices are pretty high.
I'd turn my paycheck over to McMaster each month if I could buy anything at cost!

BadDog
04-29-2007, 02:23 PM
There are 2 things that usually bring me to McMaster.

1) I know I need something sorta like this, and about that size, and it works like that, but not sure exactly what *it* is or what my options are for materials, and so on. Or maybe I know about what *it* is, just don't know who carries it, but I'll bet THEY carry it! I can often dig *it* out using their online catalog and be on my way.

2) They sell partial quantities. So you can get 4 odd-ball bolts, 2' of high priced plastic tube, etc.

I'm sure finding *it* would be much easier if I had their paper catalog, but alas, I am not special enough in their eyes... <sniff>

RUJOCO
04-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Rudy got to ask..would you pay $85 for a Mc Masters catalog off ebay because it has the reference table you mentioned? Some here tried to justify the cost because it has those tables and other tech stuff. I do not think it worth that price for them.

No way, although I can see the value of having their catalog, Ive never paid for any catalog in my life. I'm sure the catalog returns are tenfold for them. There must be a budget for it. If you're like me, after years of hunting down bargains that came too late, now I go with the guy who has it when I need it. And they usually do. Time really is money.

How many times have we put a project aside in hopes of finding a bargain on some trivial part or tool to complete something. Most times it's gone unfinished. But I digress, sorry.

JCHannum
04-29-2007, 05:58 PM
While the new catalogs go for the high prices, a catalog that is a year or two old has just as much information, and can be had for a reasonable price, often free.

The catalogs offer lots of valuable information and are an excellent ida book. They do not make them available to everyone for free, and that is understandable due to the cost of printing them.

Once you have one in hand, even if it is several years old, the website becomes much more useable.

MSC, Travers, Rutland Tool, Wholesale Tool, J&L & Production Tool & Supply all are available for free online AFAIK. They are all useful. I do not have an Enco catalog as, at least the older ones were rather limited in scope, and only listed their merchandise.

HTRN
04-29-2007, 06:32 PM
AFAIK, McMaster only gives catalogs to customers with "Net30" accounts. Seeing as how they give their customers precious few of these accounts, I'm not surprised at how rare they are. People actually sell them on Ebay.:eek:

HTRN

IOWOLF
04-29-2007, 07:45 PM
"Iowolf..lets get real.. a catalog is an advertising media for a company to attract new customers and sell their product to all that use it. Yes, it may have charts and useful info in it as a plus.... but if I am looking for technical info or a book I will look online or buy the book that has the needed info I am looking for. I bought the Machinery Handbook, I did not try to find a catalog with some of the same info and get that instead. Graingers has many useful tidbits in theirs too,, I have theirs but they are not holding people hostage for their book because they have some technical info in it. Open an account an they freely give you a catalog. "

OK lets get real,2007 Enco cat.pages 1,25,33,41,70,101,141,The list goes on. Now that is real, and is just the lowly Enco catalog, there is still MSC(even better),among others.

LES A W HARRIS
04-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Board members, READ the screens!

McMaster-Carr home page, then select product, for E.g. Dog point setscrews; select setscrews; you get options;

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/07%20SHOPSTUFF/MCMSTRCARR29042007_215203.jpg

Refine your search;

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/07%20SHOPSTUFF/MCMSTRCARR29042007_215224.jpg

Note upper right in blue, View catalog page;

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/07%20SHOPSTUFF/MCMSTRCARR29042007_215320.jpg

There is your PDF’s, note PAGE OPTIONS, click it HTML or PDF, select to open their pages in PDF, save a copy if its one you may use a lot, heck print it if you want.

cybor462
04-30-2007, 08:01 AM
OK lets get real,2007 Enco cat.pages 1,25,33,41,70,101,141,The list goes on. Now that is real, and is just the lowly Enco catalog, there is still MSC(even better),among others.

I think we are losing sight of the original topic. I said I was not willing to go on ebay and buy a Mc Masters catalog for $85. Some here said that was a deal because it has tech info in it. I said that was not worth $85 to get that.

Yes I agree some catalogs have good tech info but that will not make me go out and pay $85 for them. Enco and the others you mention are free! I have most of them or they are being sent to me. Yes I would use the tech info in them. Again I would not buy them.

Wow too much testosterone around here today.:eek:

IOWOLF
04-30-2007, 08:41 AM
It wasn't me that said Buy a catalog,I said "They do more for you than thin your wallet."

And it takes Balls to generate Testosterone, welcome th the adult room,Kindergarten is down the hall.

JCHannum
04-30-2007, 09:14 AM
I think we are losing sight of the original topic. I said I was not willing to go on ebay and buy a Mc Masters catalog for $85. Some here said that was a deal because it has tech info in it. I said that was not worth $85 to get that.

The McMaster Carr catalog is a useful sourcebook. For whatever reason, they are not readily available to the general public, that is their business decision. McMaster Carr does not sell them.

If you are referring to this thread;
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=23792

I was not advocating that you purchase the catalog, but pointing out that some people are willing to part with serious mony for one. You were asking if someone would send you one for postage. Even the catalogs that are a year or two old sell on eBay for quite a few dollars. It is no different than any other tool, if you want one, you should be willing to pay the going rate.

I have a two year old one. I purchased about ten feet of catalogs at an auction for $10.00 to get it. The rest went in the recycle bin before I got home. My older catalog went to a friend.

cybor462
04-30-2007, 11:07 AM
If you are referring to this thread;
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=23792

I was not advocating that you purchase the catalog, but pointing out that some people are willing to part with serious mony for one. You were asking if someone would send you one for postage. Even the catalogs that are a year or two old sell on eBay for quite a few dollars. It is no different than any other tool, if you want one, you should be willing to pay the going rate.

Wow maybe I need to go watch TV. To stop this overly crazy debate.. All I ever said was "I" would never buy a catalog as it is an advertising media for the end result of sales. I never said it was not useful but that "I" would not pay for it! And I do not consider a catalog a tool other than a sales tool.

I am sorry I posted this thread. Never thought someones opinion would be under so much scrutiny. All I wanted was a catalog to order tools from not a debate over who would or would not buy it and if it is worth paying for Geez.:eek:

cybor462
05-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Woooopppiii!!!!!!:D I got a McMasters Carr Gold Book!!!!!

Thanks to our very own ERBenoit. He sent me one. I feel like I am something special. I also just got my new Big Book. So far I think the big book has better eye appeal. It has a hard cover and is well put together. I will be ordering today from a number of these books.

Just had to say I am as happy as a pig in the house of vegetarians!:D

IOWOLF
05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Don't foget to read those hints pages,as I said, a lot of info in those books.