PDA

View Full Version : New Part

pntrbl
04-28-2007, 11:59 PM
I promise I'll stop posting pics of everything little thing I make pretty soon, but this part is a definite step up from the 6 bolts I did last weekend and best of all, it's "one-shot Louie"! No scrap.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/Colletcloser.jpg

This is a replacement part for my collet closer that I wrecked sometime back getting my spindle apart. It's not a Logan closer, could be a Royal, but who knows? No way to buy one so making my own was the only option.

1117 Low Carbon Steel from McMaster Carr because that was the cheapest.:)

All HSS toolbits ground by yours truly. HSS sure seems a lot more versatile than the carbides I've been using so far. At least you can shape it when needed. Still working on radius and that fine edge but I suspect that's a time and experience deal.

Concentricity is less than .0015 thanx to all the good advice you guys gave me on cutting soft jaws.

Almost killed my trusty old chop saw doing the cutoff!:eek: It runs a 14" abrasive wheel at 10 thou and works a charm on steel tubing. 2 1/8" solid is a bit more than it was designed for but we got it done.

There is a muff up on the shoulder at the rear bore. The back of the toolbit on the other side of the boring bar got me when I wasn't looking. Actually I was looking ..... but you can't see when there's a boring bar in there! Won't affect function tho and I wasn't wanting to do that cutoff to my chopsaw again. I've spent most of my life in the futile pursuit of perfection but sometimes ya just gotta give in.

The internal threading is by necessity the last op and was that ever nerve wracking!!!!!!!!!!! 3 AM before the male test thread finally slipped in there and all along the way one slip of the wrist or a knob in the wrong place or a wheel the wrong way and you are screwed.

But the feeling I got when it finally screwed in there makes it all worthwhile.

SP

Ken_Shea
04-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Well I cannot speak for the other guys, but personally, I truly enjoy seeing any and all the items others are/have made.

Looks like you did a really nice job on this.

1117 Low Carbon Steel is new to me, looks like it machined very well, any gripes ?

pntrbl
04-29-2007, 02:43 AM
I certainly don't have a lot of experience to draw from, but I'd have to say this 1117 was the easiest steel to worth with that I've used so far. The McMaster blurb says it's high in manganese and sulphur to increase strength and hardness while still maintaining the machinability typical of low carbon. I bought it just because it happened to be the cheapest in the stock size I needed and seemed right for the application.

By comparison tho, the only steels I've worked with before are Stainless 303 and 4140. I basically don't know enough to know what to gripe about.:rolleyes:

SP

Davyboy
04-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Very nice work. Perhaps 3AM is the time to do a thread like that, no distractions from outside to mess you up. Must keep focused! I believe I've heard 1117 called "stress proof" or "free machining" steel. Yes it really is a step above CR for finishing and appearance.

wierdscience
04-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Almost killed my trusty old chop saw doing the cutoff!:eek: It runs a 14" abrasive wheel at 10 thou and works a charm on steel tubing. 2 1/8" solid is a bit more than it was designed for but we got it done.

SP

Looks good,plus now you have an excuse to buy a bandsaw:D

cybor462
04-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Yes I second and third the pic posting thing. I love to see stuff that HSM make. The internal thread looks sweat. I have not done any yet,,, or should I say with a threading tool...or should I say single point threading. Saw a video once that said do not single point thread unless you cant find a tap or die that will work!;)
But a tap or die does not make you all warm and fuzzy inside unlike when you have just finished single point threading and it looks as nice as yours.

Keep it up you will force me to do it too.;)

Elninio
04-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Please post every single project :) looks good!

spkrman15
04-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Yeah...keep the pictures comming

Rob :)

Mcgyver
04-29-2007, 12:41 PM
IConcentricity is less than .0015 thanx to all the good advice you guys gave me on cutting soft jaws.

Almost killed my trusty old chop saw doing the cutoff!:eek: It runs a 14" abrasive wheel SP

if keeping it concentric mattered for the part, try to leave it undisturbed in the chuck for all turning, OD, ID and threading, then everything will be perfectly concentric. after all turning, part or cut it off and face the back side.

and yeah, you need a bandsaw. those abrasive saws, unless you are using it outdoors, lay down a layer of abrasive grit over exposed surfaces in the shop, lake the lathe ways for example.

glad to see you're making such progress, successfully cutting internal threads is at least 3 levels up from bolt making :D

Dan Craig
04-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Very nice work. Perhaps 3AM is the time to do a thread like that, no distractions from outside to mess you up. Must keep focused! I believe I've heard 1117 called "stress proof" or "free machining" steel. Yes it really is a step above CR for finishing and appearance.

I don't know a lot about steels and other alloys, but I do know that Stressproof is a registered name for Niagara-LaSalle's 1144. More can be read here: http://www.niagaralasalle.com/products/stressproof.html

Other companies also make 1144, but they can't call it Stressproof.

I'm also not familiar with 1117.

laddy
04-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Here! Here! Capitol JOb!!!!!! Haven't tried threading yet but someday.....
Nice pics, congrats! Fred