PDA

View Full Version : "Instant" QCTP Indicator Holder

BobWarfield
04-29-2007, 03:47 PM
While reading about Dickeybird's project, I realized I was staring at a little gadget on my desk that would allow me to make a similar, albeit less flexible, indicator holder right away.

The gadget I had spied was an indicator holder that fits onto a height gage. These replace the carbide scriber and can be used to increase sensitivity and accuracy of the height gage. I got it from eBay seller discount_machine (I think that's Shars) has them for $8.95:

http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/img/OthersProjects/Tools/HtGageIndHolder.jpg

If you want one (I ordered a second after seeing how useful they can be), do an eBay search for "HEIGHT GAGE INDICATOR". They only have them on "Buy it now" in their store, so you may have to look carefully.

I took this little gadget together with the QCTP knurler holder (everyone has one and they aren't that hot if you get a scissors knurler, so its great to reuse it) and put them together to get this:

http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/img/LatheStuff/QCTPIndHolder.JPG

Works like a champ for small stock. It doesn't have enough range for larger stock, but eventually I want to make one like Frank Ford has with the spring loaded slider.

FWIW, I wrote up all the variations of these holders I'd seen on my blog:

www.cnccookbook.com

Best,

BW

BadDog
04-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Yep, I've got several of those, they come with the B&S or Starrett DTIs. The ones in fitted boxes with various accessories. You can get them complete with a B&S or Starrett DTI for $20 or so on ebay...

Edit: Be patient and they go cheap, but here are some various examples on ebay: 230120798502 130104580885 250108521109 270113673153 230121943386

B&S looks EXACTLY like yours, see item 140111446578 and 120113530991

DICKEYBIRD
04-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Sheesh, I hope my wife doesn't see this. I just finished telling her how much money I saved by working all those hours in the shop massaging chunks of scrap to make my holder.;)

I guess I need to start cruising Ebay more.

BadDog
04-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Oh, and my indicator holder built from a piece of scrap uses the articulated arm shown in this pic. I find it much better and more flexible than the B&S or Starrett styles. Not too bulky, but easy to maneuver.

Enco# 308-0097

And don't worry, we won't tell her. In any case, yours if far FAR nicer than mine...

lazlo
04-29-2007, 09:11 PM
While reading about Dickeybird's project, I realized I was staring at a little gadget on my desk that would allow me to make a similar, albeit less flexible, indicator holder right away.
I took this little gadget together with the QCTP knurler holder (everyone has one and they aren't that hot if you get a scissors knurler, so its great to reuse it) and put them together to get this:

5Bears posted the Knurling-Tool Indicator holder years ago :D

http://www.5bears.com/essent/ess03.jpg

"It only took me a decade to make this tool. Make one today!
http://www.5bears.com/resour.htm

Centering round stock in the lathe can be irritating and tedious, as one must set up a dial indicator, apply it to the stock, and rotate the lathe by hand. An Adjust-Tru style of chuck, as made by Buck, Bison, and others, are terrific devices, but yield their best traits when using the adjustment feature to really get the stock to zero.

What is it? It is a junker tool holder, in this case a cheap knurling tool which never worked. I drilled and tapped the body of the tool holder and mounted this plunger-style DTI. With the round stock in your 4-jaw, or adjust-tru chuck, slap this onto your toolpost. Since it is already set to center height, you can use the cross-slide to feed the DTI into the work. Adjust away!

Very quick to use and much more convenient than setting up a DTI in the normal manner. A 0.0005" indicator is a good all-around choice, and due to available travel, is easier to use without overrunning the indicator's range. . For exceptionally accurate work, replace it with a 0.0001" indicator."

BobWarfield
04-30-2007, 12:02 AM
5Bears posted the Knurling-Tool Indicator holder years ago :D

No kidding?

That must be why I wrote it up in the blog I mentioned.

Cheers,

BW

pntrbl
04-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Thanx for this post Bob. I have one of those knurlers that came with my Phase II QCTP and while I haven't actually knurled anything yet, I wasn't thinking it was the one I needed to learn with! LOL! I'm gonna put an indicator in it.

Something I stumbled into that makes indicating easier is a flat bar to lay across the top of my V's. It's 3/4" thick by 3" wide and maybe 8" long. Heavy enough to support a mag base like it wasn't even there and still moves around easily.

I've found keeping a dedicated set up for dialing bits 90 degrees to the workpiece useful. All I gotta do is plop the bar down, set the mag base, and start tapping. Fooling with all those knobs everytime will make ya nuts.

SP

BadDog
04-30-2007, 01:29 AM
To set the tool square, for most operations, I just use a parallel between the face of the chuck and the tool. Plenty close enough for threading or parting off and takes only a second or two...

dp
04-30-2007, 01:47 AM
I use the quill of my tailstock. As you say - takes seconds, repeatable. Same error every time :)

BadDog
04-30-2007, 02:03 AM
I'm currious, how do you use the quill? With a machinist square?

dp
04-30-2007, 02:10 AM
I have a Grizzly "Quick Change" tool holder - not very quick at all, but it works. I slide the tail stock down the ways to the tool holder, extend and lock the quill, set the tailstock clamp so it's rigid, the run the crossfeed slide out until the QCTH, which is snug but rotatable, presses gently against the quill, rocking it as I close the gap to zero. I lock down the tool holder a bit, back off the crossfeed, cinch down the QCTH, and I'm done. I've checked the runout on all four sides of the holder and it's quite accurate.

BadDog
04-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Hmm, I think I'll stick to a parallel on the face of the chuck. ;) Just wheel the saddle near the chuck, loosen t-slot bolt, stick in parallel, press tool against parallel (which rotates/aligns), tighten t-slot bolt, done. Of course, this might be an option when using collets where there is no chuck or face plate.

BillB
04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
I was looking at my useless QCTP bump knurler one day, wishing it had the slot on the other end, when inspiration finally struck. A quick trip to the bandsaw, a little sanding of the edges, and voila! Should have cut the thing off as soon as I got the scissors knurler, if only I'd thought of it....

BillB

BobWarfield
04-30-2007, 08:31 PM
I was looking at my useless QCTP bump knurler one day, wishing it had the slot on the other end, when inspiration finally struck. A quick trip to the bandsaw, a little sanding of the edges, and voila! Should have cut the thing off as soon as I got the scissors knurler, if only I'd thought of it....

BillB

ROFL! That's the way to do it! Make that silly thing useful.

FWIW, Frank Ford seems to have good luck modifying cheap machinist's square for various tasks. There's is one he ground an angle on so he could apply it to the tailstock ram and set an angle on his top slide, for example. I believe it was the magic 5.75 degrees needed so your topslide is advancing the cut in tenths instead of thousandths.

Those things are cheap. I think there is a general theme here of looking at cheap Asian tooling as a starting point to making some custom tools so you don't have to start from scratch.

Another thing it would seem easy to make from an unused knurling holder would be to bore a hole in the side and put a drill chuck on it. Make yourself a stop so you can quickly get the chuck on center and it lets you change out a chuck quickly.

Did ya'll see the project over on CNCZone to adapt a turret purchased off eBay to a Birmingham lathe?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33813

Real nice concept. I bought one of those turrets off eBay recently for under $100 for a Hardinge turret. I plan to use mine on my CNC lathe conversion. Widgitmaster's is a nice idea for manual lathes.

Best,

BW

BadDog
04-30-2007, 08:47 PM
You can use a standard boring bar holder to mount a chuck on straight shank quite easily.

BadDog
04-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Here is a pic of my DTI holder (along with other junk).

http://www.members.cox.net/darthtruggy/junk/table.jpg

Also a pic of my B&S holder.

http://www.members.cox.net/darthtruggy/junk/dti2.jpg

DICKEYBIRD
04-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Cool stuff there B/D! That's some purty (drool, drool) chunks of aluminum you got stacked up on that workbench.

I bet you don't move that table around much, eh?

BobWarfield
05-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Your welding table is a junk magnet just like mine! LOL

BW

BadDog
05-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Hey! I resemble that remark! ;)

Actually, that was some "in process" stuff combined with stuff people specifically asked for pics of. I generally keep it pretty clear unless there is something in process. And it's always clear when welding; well, except for the weldment. At this moment, the only thing on it is a paper towel that had clean parts on it and was not messy, so it was saved (ever the recycler ;) )