PDA

View Full Version : Where y'all from?

aostling
05-03-2007, 12:22 AM
As you can see by my online profile, I am currently living in Phoenix. But I've traveled widely, and if you are from any of the Western states (including Texas) I have probably been to your home town. Ditto for New Zealand, much of Australia, and U.K. I think it would improve this BBS if our "homeless" members would update their profiles to show where they are from.

dp
05-03-2007, 12:27 AM
It would sure make Google's project of profiling the life every sentient being on Earth easier. Seriously - it is a problem when you become too overexposed on the Internet. People with small Google footprints have fewer problems.

aostling
05-03-2007, 12:30 AM
It would sure make Google's project of profiling the life every sentient being on Earth easier. Seriously - it is a problem when you become too overexposed on the Internet. People with small Google footprints have fewer problems.

Okay DP, you can stay hidden.

ProGunOne
05-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Mine says Illinois, (actually a suburb of Chicago) but maybe it's a lie and I made it all up? :p :cool:

Great, now I'll probably get some cyber stalker?

Swarf&Sparks
05-03-2007, 12:57 AM
WA is a BIG place :D
good luck google

dp
05-03-2007, 01:03 AM
My name is Col. Flagg - I have no home. I am the wind!

M.A.S.H.

dp
05-03-2007, 01:06 AM
WA is a BIG place :D
good luck google

yah - It's too late for me. I'm already known in WA state - I'm the republican :)

Evan
05-03-2007, 01:14 AM
It doesn't matter to me. Anybody that really wants to find you will.

I live here. My property is outlined in yellow. In the background is the town of Williams Lake, in central British Columbia.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/fhill.jpg

Swarf&Sparks
05-03-2007, 02:38 AM
Hey DP, I thought all West Australians were republicans :D

Jim Hubbell
05-03-2007, 03:15 AM
I am in the Idaho panhandle somewhere between WA and Mont. A little South of Evan. Been here since 1975. Learning machine work since health problems forced me into semi retirement about 2000. Great life!

speedy
05-03-2007, 05:21 AM
WA is a BIG place :Dgood luck google

And if any of you have seen the movie "Wolf River", you ain`t going looking for anyone in the Kimberley.
One of the best horror/suspense movies ever!:eek:

BigBoy1
05-03-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm in NC about 50 miles as the crow flies from Kitty Hawk of Wright Brother's fame.

Bill

Your Old Dog
05-03-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm in Ecstacy...........................when in my shop!

Lew Hartswick
05-03-2007, 08:30 AM
It doesn't matter to me. Anybody that really wants to find you will.

I live here. My property is outlined in yellow. In the background is the town of Williams Lake, in central British Columbia.

Evan, Thats some drive to town. :-) What are the two rows of clear
spots through the "woods" in the middle? I could only think of power
poles but usually they clear a complete strip.
...lew...

PTSideshow
05-03-2007, 08:31 AM
It doesn't matter to me.

I live here. My property is outlined in yellow.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/fhill.jpg

Isn't that the UFO underground bases site in BC Canada:D

Evan
05-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Nah. That's further south of here near Vancouver. They are on the approach path for polar orbits that land at Groom Lake.

PTSideshow
05-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I remembered an article in one of the men's magazines from the old days(late 50's early 60's)like argosy or some such had a big deal with a photo spread like the googgle image you posted with the box around an area and it remindeed me about that article. Was in BC some place suppose to be hundreds of acres of unground concrete bunkers, hangers ect and no one in the area noticed them building it because. They were all paid off by the government. And it was to house the stuff that the Canadians brought back from the Germans after WWII. That the US, Brits and Ruskies did want. Flying disk ect.:D
Strange what will trigger stuff in the mind or lack of one;) :D :D

Evan
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
There are bunkers all over BC. Every RCMP station built in the last 30 years is a bunker as well as a police station. When they built the new one here about 20 years ago I took note of the construction. The basement walls are about 1 1/2 feet thick concrete with a triple layer of staggered and crossed rebar. At the bottom of the stairs inside is a very heavy door that leads to the area and it is designed with a sharp right turn to face the door so there is only four feet of space available in front of the door.

The airport in Williams Lake has a 7000 foot runway and the runway is two feet thick. It can handle just about anything in a pinch. We also have a VORTAC nearby for air navigation. The TACAN capability is largely military.

There is also a 100,000 acre military reserve about a 30 minute drive from here.

PTSideshow
05-03-2007, 11:26 AM
that's the place they were yapping about! small world:D

Your Old Dog
05-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Evan, sort of looks like my neighbors property did when he went nuts with the fertilizer !

weedy64
05-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Langley, B.C.

3'x11' Planer, 2516x144 Monarch, BP clone (did I admit that?):o, other crap.
Hobby/Farm machining, Grain Mill resurfacing (out of control Hobby);)

Glenn

Bill in Ky
05-03-2007, 02:25 PM
West Kentucky Here

State of pretty horses and fast women.......

ronm
05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
OK, here it is:

The pic is a couple years old, the pool isn't in the back yard anymore...also, the subdivisions are right up to my back fence now...:mad:
Ron in CO...

Evan
05-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Somehow I missed the question about the clearings. They are probably log landings used for selective cutting to control beetle kill. They helicopter the timber out to avoid spreading the pests.

LES A W HARRIS
05-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Down in the Rio Grande Valley!
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/LAS%20CRUCES/collage.jpg

Strange, Some places zoom in to 200ft up, others 35,000ft.
Picture was done on a Sunday morning, the Church parking lots are full!
and the shadows are from the south.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/LAS%20CRUCES/LESNAN03052007_140114.jpg

Milacron of PM
05-03-2007, 06:33 PM
A ridiculous sentiment in your case considering the name "dp" and considering you can simply post some hint of location and be perfectly safe. To put your state, or at least a general area like "USA midwest" is way better than nothing. Otherwise you might be in Cambodia or Poland for all we know.

But tell me, how on earth could any search engine lead to finding a "dp" in say North Carolina, USA..just as an example ? And then to specifically YOU the dp ?

Frank Ford
05-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm right here, pretty much where I've always been:
http://www.frets.com/ForumPix/619front.jpg

My house is a modest 1922 vintage 3-bdr. "Spanish Style" in "Wade's Subdevelopment of University Park," just outside the original city limits, but now in the area known as "Old Palo Alto," a short mile from the entrance to Stanford University:

http://www.frets.com/ForumPix/aerialff.jpg

I planted the palm tree in front and the redwoods in back shortly after I bought this place in 1971, and I have lived around here since 1944, except for a hiatus to attend college four decades ago. In my time, this area has gone from a string of small towns stretching up the peninsula from San Jose to San Francisco, to a veritable continuous city 35 miles long. And, people are still falling over each other to move into this area.

My SHOP (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/Shop/FFShop/ffshop.html) is in the old 18 x 18 original detatched garage in the back, down the 100 ft. pink concrete drive. That's a 1961 Metropolitan under wraps, by the way. Gotta get working on it this year. . .

The lot is less than a sixth of an acre, but there's still room for a bit of greenery in the yard:

http://www.frets.com/ForumPix/619back.jpg

Once the "Valley of Heart's Delight," featuring bountiful orchards, this is now the heart of Silicon Valley. Bizzy and vibrant, with diversity that seems to have no limits, it's home for sure, and I, for one, would croak if I had to leave this behind for any reason!

Cheers,

Frank Ford
FRETS.COM (http://www.frets.com)
Gryphon Stringed Instruments (http://www.gryphonstrings.com)
My Home Shop Pages (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/index.html)

kc5ezc
05-03-2007, 07:24 PM
There are bunkers all over BC. Every RCMP station built in the last 30 years is a bunker as well as a police station. When they built the new one here about 20 years ago I took note of the construction. The basement walls are about 1 1/2 feet thick concrete with a triple layer of staggered and crossed rebar. At the bottom of the stairs inside is a very heavy door that leads to the area and it is designed with a sharp right turn to face the door so there is only four feet of space available in front of the door.

The airport in Williams Lake has a 7000 foot runway and the runway is two feet thick. It can handle just about anything in a pinch. We also have a VORTAC nearby for air navigation. The TACAN capability is largely military.

There is also a 100,000 acre military reserve about a 30 minute drive from here.
Evan: Don't commercial aircraft with distance measuring equipment (DME) use the DME portion of TACAN to determine range to the station?
John Burchett
in Byng OK

Liger Zero
05-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Ontario, New York. Lived in Palmyra for awhile untill I decided to fight City Hall. $80,000 and two lawyers later I'm not quite welcome there no more.

Important thing is I Won. That's all that matters. Who needs dignity, sanity or money? BAH! Not me says I.

Ontario is near Rochester, up by the lake. Palmyra is south of there. Ontario has a nuclear power plant, Ginna Station. Pamyra has Mormons. In fact it's considered our holy-land... which if you've ever spent ANY time in Palmyra you have to wonder what God was thinking to pick it. :D

aostling
05-03-2007, 08:21 PM
My house is a modest 1922 vintage 3-bdr. "Spanish Style" in "Wade's Subdevelopment of University Park," just outside the original city limits, but now in the area known as "Old Palo Alto," a short mile from the entrance to Stanford University:

Frank,

Your house looks very familiar. I lived in University Park too, from 1966-71, in a one-bedroom house (111 Tennyson) which is still there. I'm confused, though. University Park is bordered by Alma, Middlefield, Embarcadero, and Oregon Expwy. I can't pick out these streets in your aerial photo. I was a Palo Alto taxi driver for six months in 1971 (before emigrating to New Zealand), so I fancy I knew all the streets then.

I entered Stanford in 1961, and I have great memories of that era. I furnished my student rooms with old stuff I bought from Sammy K's Bargain Store, in College Terrace. Remember his place?

dp
05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
A ridiculous sentiment in your case considering the name "dp" and considering you can simply post some hint of location and be perfectly safe. To put your state, or at least a general area like "USA midwest" is way better than nothing. Otherwise you might be in Cambodia or Poland for all we know.

But tell me, how on earth could any search engine lead to finding a "dp" in say North Carolina, USA..just as an example ? And then to specifically YOU the dp ?

Your cookies are used and re-used all over the net. I'm dp here and other things elsewhere, but no matter where I go Google and their partners are watching and recording. If I also have a gmail account then it becomes orders of magnitude easier. Web beacons are in mail you receive. Those ads at the top of the page? If the images are pulled from a central server they too are web beacons and they know I have a passing interest in machinery.

Do a test some time. Go to google and do a search on something unusual - something that you'd not normally search on. Follow a few links, backtracking back to google and then back out to another related link. Then watch how no matter where you go on the web after that and that has them, you will see google ads that direct you to that search interest.

Dumping all your cookies doesn't help if you have static IP's as I do. The first time I caught onto this was by way of yahoo and a group I was in there. I don't do yahoo groups anymore.

Some people are not bothered by this at all, but it is wise to be aware that when you apply for work in most large businesses these days they will google you and if you have a big google footprint, and I do, it can impact your interview/success.

Frank Ford
05-03-2007, 10:25 PM
aostling -

University Park is stuck right between Crescent Park and the downtown area - roughly bordered by San Francisquito creek, Channing, Middlefield and, I suppose, Center. In fact, it is generally included as part of Crescent Park, although it does have its own identity on official city maps. The star over my house is on Fulton St., one block off Middlefield, near University.

The area to which you refer is the neighborhood called "Old Palo Alto." I mistakenly said University Park is near Old Palo Alto, when I meant downtown. Most locals think of the entire downtown, Professorville, and Old Palo Alto neighborhoods as being part of old Palo Alto.

My business is right on the site of Lambert Dornberger's dairy farm, now Lambert Avenue, in what used to be the town of Mayfield, a half mile south of the center of that town, now California Avenue. Been a while since those old "thrift store" businesses were driven out by the insane retail rental scene. In fact, if it weren't for a saintly landlord, my business would not have survived in this area. Even after 30 years, we pay a small fraction of the normal rental rate.

FF

Evan
05-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Evan: Don't commercial aircraft with distance measuring equipment (DME) use the DME portion of TACAN to determine range to the station?

Yes, they do. They didn't when it was installed in the 70's. Of course, it is becoming redundant with the use of GPS, as is the LORAN station 20 minutes from here.

wirewrkr
05-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I used lo live in Fear. When I turned 9 I moved to Denial.
RVV

aostling
05-03-2007, 11:06 PM
aostling -

The star over my house is on Fulton St., one block off Middlefield, near University.

FF
Frank,

I understand now. Being on Fulton St., you would have witnessed decades of wonderful Christmas decorations for which your street is famous. Somehow I never pictured a machine shop (like yours) as being hidden behind these streets. Your neighbor (on Waverley) his Steve Jobs himself!

Allan

aostling
05-03-2007, 11:21 PM
I used lo live in Fear. When I turned 9 I moved to Denial.
RVV
Hmm, central California coast, bummer town? Sounds like maybe you are in Castroville. Naw, actually that's a nice place too.

Milacron of PM
05-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Some people are not bothered by this at all, but it is wise to be aware that when you apply for work in most large businesses these days they will google you and if you have a big google footprint, and I do, it can impact your interview/success. So when you apply for a job you are simply known as "dp" ? If you are Douglas Pearl in MN, how could anyone possibly make a connection with you and "dp" in "the midwest" ? Heck, for that matter how could they possiby make a connection between Douglas Pearl in Minneapolis, MN and "dp" in Minneapolis, MN ?

Answer= they can't..you worry to much.

Frank Ford
05-03-2007, 11:54 PM
I understand now. Being on Fulton St., you would have witnessed decades of wonderful Christmas decorations for which your street is famous. Somehow I never pictured a machine shop (like yours) as being hidden behind these streets. Your neighbor (on Waverley) his Steve Jobs himself!.

Well, yes and no. Fulton is a street broken many times by other, more "important" ones. THOSE folks are on the section where the average house is about twice to four times the value of my "low rent" district where you can still get a place for about 1,500,000. Me, i bought my shack for 32 grand. Well, that was until I got divorced and had the opportunity (I mean that, literally) to buy it again for fifteen times that amount. Hey, we move on, and, for me, home is home.

Never met Steve Jobs. Did meet David Packard Sr., though. A true gent.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
FRETS.COM (http://www.frets.com)
Gryphon Stringed Instruments (http://www.gryphonstrings.com)
My Home Shop Pages (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/index.html)

HTRN
05-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Some people are not bothered by this at all, but it is wise to be aware that when you apply for work in most large businesses these days they will google you and if you have a big google footprint, and I do, it can impact your interview/success.

This actually happened to Kim Du toit not too long ago - the prospective employer suddenly lost interest when they found his personal website..

It's also why I have never used my real name, nor alluded to more than a very general area where I live(almost half a million people).

HTRN

Evan
05-04-2007, 01:49 AM
To quote Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun Microsystems:

"You have no privacy, get over it."

If you use the internet, which is essentially what he was speaking about, then he is correct. Everything you do online is trackable to some degree. When you look at one of the pics I posted here I can track your IP address. I can then look up where you live on the planet in the ARIN database. I can even tell what operating system and browser you are using and how you came to be accessing my server. If you get to my server via Google I get a list of the search words you used to find it.

"You have no privacy, get over it."

Peter Sanders
05-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi

Ok. Profile updated :D

I'm from WA too. That's Western Australia, the BEST state :D

Lew Hartswick
05-04-2007, 10:45 AM
aostling -

University Park is stuck right between Crescent Park and the downtown area -
FF

University Park Is the US Post Office at The Pennsylvania State University, Located in the town of State College PA. :-)
...lew... former resident

dp
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
So when you apply for a job you are simply known as "dp" ? If you are Douglas Pearl in MN, how could anyone possibly make a connection with you and "dp" in "the midwest" ? Heck, for that matter how could they possiby make a connection between Douglas Pearl in Minneapolis, MN and "dp" in Minneapolis, MN ?

Answer= they can't..you worry to much.

I get paid to worry - I work in computer security. And yes, they can. They Google the name on the application. I also own a lot of domains including my email address domain. Googling that grows the data base - they find my IP and google that. The info chain gets longer with each bit you learn. I'm a pilot and my original license was my SSN - ding ding! I used to work at Boeing and my badge number was also my SSN. I'm active in a number of usenet groups and Google tracks my IP. My IP is associated with just a few names so zeroing in on me is rather trivial. I buy things on line that have Google ads. My cookies and IP are tracked for that, too. People have sent me gmail mail account offerings. Now Google has the entire picture of me and my interests. Where ever you go on the net Google is also there watching. Gathering and associating information is why they're so wealthy now. There's nothing special about me - this happens to everyone on the net now. As I said - this does not make everyone uncomfortable. But if it were the government doing it (they are) and it was widely known the picture might change.

It's a fairly trivial thing to sort through all the diverse data and paint a picture of behavior (meaning a predictable pattern). When you know a person's patterns you can exploit that. There is a very cool tool available called 'splunk' that gathers textual data such as but not limited to logs from mail and web servers and very quickly develops relationships from the data that you can browse. It's honestly amazing to use especially with hundreds of megs of logs. It's very fast. Enter specific data and only that is shown from all the various logs. As you use it and grow the criterion a very full picture is revealed from the noise.

There is an immediate annoyance with Google and this profiling they do. I work with Unix but last year I bought a Mac. I found that my search results immediately began to skew toward Apple, iPod, Macs, OS X, etc. I found that over time this happened even if I were googling with my Unix workstation. If I deleted all my cookies the problem would go away. I run Solaris in a virtual machine on my Mac and it has the same IP as the Mac. Using the Mozilla browser in Solaris on the Mac gives me results skewed to the Mac. The IP is more dominant in the profiling than the browser type. The annoyance is I'd be looking for Solaris solutions to technical issues and get Mac results (Mac runs Unix). My searches became less efficient in terms of returned results.

Ries
05-04-2007, 01:19 PM
If "They" want me, I am sure they can find me.
After all, I have a website with my name, address, and phone number all listed.
In my line of work, the more google hits, the better.

Anyway, I am right here... Just outside of Edison Washington, in the lovely Skagit valley. Just ask anyone- Mark, at the post office, or Peg, at the liquor store, among others, will be happy to tell you where I live.
Although the online photos I can find are several years old, and dont show my new shop building.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/rniemi/aerial.jpg

aostling
05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Anyway, I am right here... Just outside of Edison Washington, in the lovely Skagit valley.

I understand that Edison is where Edward R. Murrow went to high school, back in the days when this was a sawmill town. Looks like all the trees are gone now.

dp
05-04-2007, 02:39 PM
I understand that Edison is where Edward R. Murrow went to high school, back in the days when this was a sawmill town. Looks like all the trees are gone now.

It's a beautiful place to visit in the spring when the tulip and daffodil bulb orchards are all a bloom. There's a fun little town nearby - La Conner - where you can see a lot of arts/crafts from the local talent pool, and have a great seafood lunch on the Swinomish Channel. The Skagit valley is a nice place. Even if it's raining. Over the hill in Anacortes each fall they have the Oyster Run where 10-20 thousand bikers take over the town for the weekend. Lots of fun if you like big crowds, long lines, and Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

andy_b
05-04-2007, 02:57 PM
University Park Is the US Post Office at The Pennsylvania State University, Located in the town of State College PA. :-)
...lew... former resident

that is EXACTLY what i was thinking. it's funny how where you came from influences how you view things.

andy b.
also a former SC resident (State College, not South Carolina) :)

aostling
05-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Over the hill in Anacortes each fall they have the Oyster Run where 10-20 thousand bikers take over the town for the weekend. Lots of fun if you like big crowds, long lines, and Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
The
I was in Anacortes for New Years Eve this year, picked up a U-Haul the next day in Mt. Vernon. The best store in Anacortes is the old ships chandlery -- I've never seen such a wonderful collection of old hardware for sale. You can even buy a steam engine there. The telescope & binoculars shop is really interesting, too.

Mark Hockett
05-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Easter Sunday I took my wife over to La Conner WA for the Tulip Festival. After we were done there I drove by Ries's place. I didn't stop because I didn't want to bug him on Easter. He has quite the spread, with many very cool and very large sculptures. It also looks like he has lots of shop space. Some day I hope to be able to stop and visit.

Ries
05-04-2007, 07:42 PM
The Skagit is indeed a beautiful place, which is why I live here.
Edison is where Edward R Murrow went to school- there wasnt a "high" school then, just the Edison School, which was 1-12. They tore it down a few years ago. The old guy I bought my farm from went to school with Murrow- he says they called him something like "Ol Rubberlips" cause he never shut up.

There were a few trees in Edison, but it is in the Delta of the Samish River, so it was mostly marsh around the town- the sawmills were built there because it was at the edge between navigable water, to float the log booms out, and the end of the river, to float the logs down. The actual big forests were upriver, starting a mile or so away and running for a hundred miles or so.
It was also the home of one of the largest socialist communes in the country, almost as big as the one in Port Angeles, out on the Olympic Peninsula. The northwest was a hotbed of Utopian communities around 1900 or so. We had the biggest utopian community newspaper in the US, distributed nationally, several sawmills, and 5 whorehouses. Now, we are down to 105 people, 2 bars, 2 art galleries, a cafe, 2 bakeries, and a wine store.

Mark-I wasnt here- I was in Buenos Aires on Easter.
But stop by next time.

darryl
05-05-2007, 12:37 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/heinrich/whereIlive.jpg

small yellow arrow, near top right of image- I'm out there somewhere.

This is looking roughly west, towards Seattle, Bellingham, etc. Vancouver island is at the top right.

aostling
05-05-2007, 01:04 AM
small yellow arrow, near top right of image- I'm out there somewhere.

This is looking roughly west, towards Seattle, Bellingham, etc. Vancouver island is at the top right.

Looks like you live on the flight path to Evan's spread.

dp
05-23-2007, 12:37 AM

At least they're out of the closet now. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c3e49548-088e-11dc-b11e-000b5df10621.html

Your Old Dog
05-23-2007, 05:55 AM
yah - It's too late for me. I'm already known in WA state - I'm the republican :)

ROFLAMO !!!!!!!!!

Evan
05-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Here is one for you DP.

http://www.nmsu.edu/~safety/news/dumb/9safety-news_watching-you.htm

Swarf&Sparks
05-23-2007, 09:37 AM
OK, I'm down by the lake :D
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/idgara_eng/LOL706289022-radAA0C9.jpg