View Full Version : What is this joint called?

05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Hope my image comes through.

I see these things everywhere.. the mating faces usually have radial grooves
that provide a positive lock when the cross bolt is tightened.

I have no idea what they're called... or where to get them.
I'd like to use some hefty steel ones in a couple of projects...
something along the lines of 3" diameter "joints" that I can weld
onto the ends of 3" schedule 40 pipe.

Any ideas?


Jim Caudill
05-03-2007, 05:15 PM
look at some of the suppliers for handrail tubing and fittings

05-03-2007, 05:17 PM
McMaster carr has them hand rail and staging fitting.:D

05-03-2007, 05:24 PM
dang that was fast!
thanks guys... have my mcmaster cataloge right here in front of me.
looks like top size is 2-3/8" -- no 3" fittings. plus, they look pretty
light-duty -- like they're made for handrailings or something :)


05-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Check out Wagner- they are much bigger stockers of this sort of stuff than Mcmaster.


This kind of fitting is not really strong- its mostly used on non structral applications like temporary handrails, scaffolding, and the like.
So it might be tough to find 3".
Most of it is gonna be sized for 1 1/2" pipe.

Like these- http://www.jgbraun.com/site/viewer.aspx?iid=3330&mname=article&rpid=572

J. Tranter
05-03-2007, 10:12 PM
I have seen those used for roll cages in cars. You might check something like that.