PDA

View Full Version : OT: Think you're having a hard day at work?

Your Old Dog
05-05-2007, 07:10 AM
lets see if this works now........

http://www.raymondswan.com/dp/beached_limo-754970.jpg

Timleech
05-05-2007, 07:47 AM
He obviously wasn't going fast enough :D :D

Tim

J.Ramsey
05-05-2007, 08:11 AM
I wonder how true the the drive lines are after this maneuver? Don't ask me why because I did the same thing to the high school principals Caddy in auto shop back in 1974 .:D :D :D
J.Ramsey

cybor462
05-05-2007, 09:47 AM
You ned to send that one into Jay Lenno. It is a hoot read the sign.
I think if that guy in the window would come down to help push they could get it moving. Oh he is too busy laughing.;)

Willy
05-05-2007, 02:39 PM
That's a walk in the park compared to the morning from hell that I went through about twenty years ago.I still have nightmares about that one and this picture was a reminder of that day.
I was delivering a load of gasoline to a small town service station that I had been to on several previous trips but on this particular day the highway into town was closed due to construction and I was taking a designated detour through a residential part of town when I came upon a hill very similar to the one in the picture.
Unfortunately unlike the above photo there wasn't a sign warning me of the hill.You see the trailer I was pulling that day was a three axle semi with the third axle in the center.For tight turns and rough terrain it is standard practice to lift the center axle so as not place undue strain on the trailer which essentially does not have a frame, the aluminum tank is actually a stressed member.
When I broke over that hill the seat cushion puckered up my hiney so far that that I was starting to choke on it.I instantly released the air bag center axle but I knew that it takes about 5-10 seconds to raise the axle, I looked into the mirror to see the center axle on the crest of the hill supporting pretty much the entire weight of the trailer...I thought it was going to split and send about 9000 gallons of gas down the hill of a residential neighborhood.The old girl creaked and groaned like an old ship.
Fortunately everything turned out alright but the the possibility of what could have happened that day still haunts me.
I'll take the limo any day.

Weston Bye
05-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Back in the old days my dad owned an excavating business. I was a 16 year old kid and my dad had me moving the machinery on a lowboy trailer. Had to make a right turn, a utility pole right next to the outside lane. I though I had planned ahead. Started the turn, realized that if I kept going I was going to sideswipe the pole with the trailer. I stopped and looked around at traffic. A state cop, about 2 cars back in the traffic on the road I was turning onto, and watching. I wiggled the rig back and forth a few times, intimidated a few of the drivers into backing up until I had room using oncoming lanes to finish the turn. The cop just watched.

The things they let a kid do back then...

jburstein
05-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Welcome to San Francisco Mr. Limo-Driver.

Nice photo.

matador
05-05-2007, 05:38 PM
With the length of that thing,surely there must be some pretty hefty steel beams under it?I can't imagine doing much damage to it.
Now as for the people pushing it.........,or the road surface.............

kendall
05-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Well, at least they're smart enough to push it back up the hill

Out for wheeling a while ago, where we go there are a bunch of 'bowls' holes dug in the dim past for whatever reason, they are big enough that you can drive through, but small enough that you have to push the front bumper up the other side till the tires can grab, and deep enough that if you duck down into you can hide your truck played hide and seek out there all the time

we were out there one night playing hide and seek when I was rudely reminded that I had just put the new reese type hitch on the truck, got stuck right at the bottom of one with the front bumper on the far side, and the reese dug in deep into the back side, all four tires just barely touching and spinning away.
had to dig a chute for the hitch, and work the front end up with jacks till we got the rear tires down far enough to get traction. Spent three hours in that hole.

retired that truck to boat pulling duty, and turned my stubby little bronco 2 into the trail truck.

Ken.