X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Ford
    • Dec 2003

Gravity Powered Vertical Band Saw Feed

I just put together some photos and a description of the gravity feed I set up on my old Delta band saw. It was one of those projects I'd been planning to do for a long time, and once I finished, I wondered how I'd lived so long without it.

Here are the other 16 pictures and details - hope you enjoy:

Gravity Feed

Cheers,

Frank Ford
    FRETS.COM
    Gryphon Stringed Instruments
    My Home Shop Pages
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech
  • mklotz
    • Mar 2001

Wow! Tres elegante.
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

• Milacron of PM
      • Apr 2001

Nice. Kinda of shame to put it on such a crappy saw though

Comment

• Rustybolt
        • Jul 2002

LOL. Frank. That is an exact duplicate of my saw, including the stand. Only the motor is different.

Nice. Kinda of shame to put it on such a crappy saw though.

Biteyertongue!

Comment

• BadDog
          • May 2006

I only wish I had a crappy bandsaw like that...
          Russ
          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

• Frank Ford
            • Dec 2003

I have three of the things. Two, bought new in 1970, are set up for wood cutting, one with height attachment for resawing. The metal cutting saw I got used in 1974 after placing a want ad looking for "14 inch Delta band Saw." I got half a dozen calls on that ad, one from the person I paid two hundred to get the saw in question, and five from other guys looking for the same thing, hoping I had lots of replies to pass along.

I've had not a lick of difficulty with any of these saws, all of which still have their original tires, wheel bearings, guides, etc. I have replaced a couple of the guide bearings on the newer saws, but not on the old guy. He just keeps a-going. . .
            Cheers,

Frank Ford
            HomeShopTech

Comment

• Milacron of PM
              • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Frank Ford

I've had not a lick of difficulty with any of these saws, all of which still have their original tires, wheel bearings, guides, etc. I have replaced a couple of the guide bearings on the newer saws, but not on the old guy. He just keeps a-going. . .
              I was tempted to say you must be doing very light work on them, but your need of the feed assist would indicate otherwise. Every 14 inch Rockwell I've used, if you don't hold your mouth just right the blade would come off. Plus alot of cheap aluminum parts and Mickey Mouse blade guide bar.

Comment

• Frank Ford
                • Dec 2003

Absolutely, I do light work most of the time. On occasion I'll resaw rosewood to 9" thick, and to do really accurate work on that kind of material, I do spend some time getting things tracking correctly. And, my metalworking is strictly home shop stuff, so that saw doesn't get a real workout.

I agree, if you push it really hard, the blade does want to come off the lower wheel. That's one reason I like my new gravity feed thingy. I don't have to lean on anything, and I can walk away as it chews slowly through two inches of cold rolled.

My more industrial woodworking pals tell me there's nothing like an old Tannewitz, but that is so far beyond my needs, I'll never do more than cast a longing glance when I see one. Besides, if I really need to do some heavy work, I'll call in a favor or two. . .
                Cheers,

Frank Ford
                HomeShopTech

Comment

Working...
                X